Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 10:21AM

She says, "[I]wouldn't trust any of my instincts because [my beliefs] had all been dictated to me."

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2018/08/09/glenn-close-opens-up-about-life-in-a-religious-cult/23499118/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:55PM

You had the same reaction I did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 08:57PM by auntsukey.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:53PM

https://www.aol.com/article/entertainment/2018/08/09/glenn-close-opens-up-about-life-in-a-religious-cult/23499118/

she said that she "wouldn't trust any of my instincts because [my beliefs] had all been dictated to me."

Sound familiar?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 09:57PM

Perhaps Close, and her father, were with a part of MRA that practiced them in the extreme. Or perhaps her father was a domineering, patriarchal type, and MRA provided a rationale and framework for him to justify personal authoritarianism.

Moral Rearmament came out in the interwar period, and was based on the belief that radical Christian living could transform individuals into more loving people, and if this spread, could lead to world peace. They deliberately targeted leaders in business, academia, and government. For a while they were active in (early) Nazi Germany, but were eventually closed down. Because of their outreach to leaders, they were regarded by many as spiritual elitists. Known first as "the Oxford Groups," it was considered a spiritual movement, and not a religion, and its "Six Steps" were the foundation for AA's Twelve.

Close noted, in the brief article, that she called her father, "brilliant, brilliant..." and MRA as "cult-like religious group," -- not quite a cult. My guess is the issue is the father-daughter relationship, not the spiritual one.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 10:58PM

I think trying to draw some kind of line between what is or isn't a cult is like trying to draw an exact line between mentally ill and mentally healthy. "Not quite a cult" might not be full blown cultism, but it's not harmless, either. Cult-like things should be avoided no matter how slight.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 11:46PM

There are a number of lists out there, plus plenty of articles. They've been posted here lots. I just don't think the Oxford Groups/Moral Rearmament qualified. Glen Close is the first I've ever heard of anybody making such a claim--not that I've studied this. Just a bit of background reading in my early days of 12-Step Recovery.

On the basis of minimal information, I think this is a Glen Close/controlling father issue. Contributing to my conclusion is a bit of generalizing: anti-relgious sentiments are common in Hollywood, as are various types of victim mentalities. Those factors might be involved.

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 01:22AM

She's listed on this TV soundtrack album as "Gleen Close"--mid 1966. UP WITH PEOPLE is the record/music/touring arm of Moral ReArmament. The Brigham Young University Singers - Sounds of Freedom - BYU Young Ambassadors - Grand Land Singers were at least partially based on UWP, using many of UWP's song catalog in the '60s and early '70s.

https://www.discogs.com/Up-With-People-Pace-Magazine-Presents-Up-With-People-The-Sing-Out-Musical/release/1862828

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 01:23AM by snagglepuss.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.