Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: August 09, 2018 11:53PM

I am not taking my dog death easy and only get from pathetic family members what did that person say? My dog was put down to! We are so glad you're dog is gone! He was aggressive! Yeah I don't care! I feel alone and want my dog back!! I am looking for another dog

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:17AM

Pot, kettle.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 10:20AM

((Crazyhorse))))

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 10:37AM

What made them think your dog was aggressive? Did it ever bite anyone, or attack someone?

As for replacing a dog you just lost with another one? Maybe give it some time for you to grieve the last one. You can't really replace a dog by buying another dog right after it dies. It's like losing a family member. No one can take its place.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 01:37PM

The important thing is to remember what Amyjo just said.

When I lost my first dog, I went out 3 days later and got another dog. I wanted him to be just like my first dog. He wasn't. He was entirely different and that was good. It took me a while to bond with him, but my kids bonded with him right off the bat as my kids were 10 years old and he was crazy and they played and played with him. I finally did bond with him once I realized how much I needed him.

When he died 14 years later, I waited almost a year, and then I read something in a book about a dog. It said, "Once you've loved a dog, living without one is a life diminished." I knew that was true and I went and got another dog. Adopted a poor little sick stray. He lasted 3-1/2 years. I was never ever going to get another dog and 3 months later, I got 2.

When I get another dog, it helps me heal. You just have to realize that this new dog will not be your last dog. But I think you need a new dog. I hope you get a rescue. I've been amazed at how my rescue dogs have shown how much they appreciated that I adopted them.

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:01PM

My dog wasn't aggressive, my family members do not like dogs and are not helping me right now

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:07PM

Crazy horse, I'm so sorry that you lost your beloved pet and that your family is not giving you the empathy that you need.

IMO it's best to wait a bit before getting your next pet as it gives you time to fully grieve your loss. Maybe six months? But it's very individual and I've known some people who could not go even one day without another pet to love.

In time, ask your family members what specific behaviors made them see your dog as being aggressive. Was it jumping up, lunging, barking loudly, nipping/biting, or snarling? Once you know, and if their concerns seem legitimate, you can make plans for your next dog. Both Petco and PetSmart offer dog obedience classes. You could also be on the lookout for breeds that are known to be especially friendly and generally non-aggressive such as golden retrievers, Labrador retrievers, etc. All breeds have their strong points and their quirks, so doing some homework about them is a good idea. Also, if you get a shelter or a rescue dog, you could ask the volunteers for a non-aggressive "lovebug."

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. No one will ever love you as unconditionally as your dog.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:28PM

I like them but don't have as much experience with them as cats.

Has anyone read the James Harriot English vet books? I read them all several times each and visited his vet clinic residence in England.

He always advised clients to get a new dog as quickly as possible after losing one. So that's what I tell my friends in this situation. Sounds like others have differing ideas. I'd like to know how this has worked for them and their friends.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:44PM

Cheryl, I read his books long ago and really loved them. I used to read aloud his children's books, "Moses the Kitten" and "Only One Woof" to students.

That's interesting that he advocated getting another dog quickly. I prefer to wait to get a new pet. There was a wait of maybe 3-4 months between the death of my childhood dog, and the dog that would see me into adulthood. In this case, it was happenstance -- a family dog on the opposite coast had pups, and we were headed in that direction anyway. We picked her up and she came back east with us. She had grown up on a ranch, living a very outdoor lifestyle with her dog pack and a large human family. When she first came to our home, she looked very puzzled at the stairs. She had never seen stairs before! But then she very gamely gave the stairs a try.

She had the sweetest, most loving and protective nature. I loved her dearly. But she was very different from my childhood dog. They all have different personalities.

I guess it all comes down to timing. Sometimes the right pet needs a home, and something about that pet speaks to you. As I tell my cat, who had previously been a throwaway, "You needed a home, and even though I didn't know it at the time, I needed a cat."

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:33PM

I'm just so sorry for you loss. Losing a loved one is always painful. (((HUGS)))

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 09:37PM

I think when to get a new dog is a personal decision. I did it within a couple of weeks. Others need more time. Just remember that a dog is forever, so be sure. Dobt do it on impule.Get the kind of dog that fits your personality and lifestyle.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.