Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 12:03PM

Mormonism is a contest to see who gets what calling and who magnifies it the best. There is constant talk of how brother so and so is a spiritual giant. Women can play this game too and do but it's all about waiving your big spiritual dick around.

Some people love it. I'm amazed at how many so called educated and professional people in the church play this game. They need to stop inhaling their own farts and step outside the circle jerk to see how ridiculous they really are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 01:30PM

She loves giving talks and teaching lessons. She got a lot of attention when she went back because they got one of our family back. My ex was very popular with everyone and so somehow I got accepted into mormonism for the first time in my life while I was with him. So somehow my daughter is mormon royalty and they've never quit worshiping her here in this ward.

She isn't here all that often, so everyone is always so excited to see her. She thrives on it.

I'm an introvert. I just did what was expected. Never wanted high callings, etc., and I NEVER EVER wanted a bishop for a husband. I wanted him at home.

But, yes, you are correct. It is one of the things that always turned me off about mormonism.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 01:40PM

It's about who gets into the top kingdom of heaven, who gets to be a god, so naturally it's a contest. It's about who's worthy and who's not. And it was all invented by a white trash guy craving social standing.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:20PM

You put it so succinctly, Rubicon!

Mormon women are worse, IMO, because they judge each other according to their husband's cult callings, and not on their own merits. Try fitting into that hierarchy if you are a woman with NO husband at all.

Good point about JS being "a white trash guy craving social standing."

Mormon priesthood holders aggrandize themselves and each other, constantly, in testimony meeting, and in introducing each other as a speaker. The bragging is nauseating. They are self-proclaimed, self-anointed "Men of God", with no merit, no qualifications, no diploma from divinity school. They tell others how to live, and then go home and beat their children and demean their wife, and dream of the day when they can be God over their own planet, and their own harem of wives. I'm serious--I have know too many Mormon men in my life--and the truly good ones are far outnumbered by the poseurs.

Mormons give each other fake titles, and once they reach that level, they use those titles long after they have been released. My friend calls her own husband "President." Former bishops are still referred to as "Bishop", and this has been going on forever. (They never call the RS president "President", though.)

LDS, Inc. is like a sales company who gives out awards to its sales employees, for advertising hype. "Jeff Jones, Platinum Salesman of The Year" Sally Smith, member of the "Billion Dollar Club." "Russel M. Nelson, Prophet, Seer, and Revelator."

They're a bunch of Narcissistic megalomaniacs!

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 03:56PM

The Mormon church is a cosmic country club. Inhale the happy gas and see who can get the best parts of the Kolob solar system.

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 08:41PM

Do you notice if Mormon women pity or look down on other women who don't have husbands/are divorced? Do those women get less attention or lose out on chances to move up in the ranks?

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 02:29AM

anon2828 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you notice if Mormon women pity or look down on
> other women who don't have husbands/are divorced?
> Do those women get less attention or lose out on
> chances to move up in the ranks?

Divorced women are both looked down upon and pitied by other women in LDS circles from what I've seen. To me it has seemed that LDS women often are suspicious of the motives of divorced women where the married men of the church are concerned. Divorced women seem to have a tough time moving up in the ranks unless they remarry someone who is himself one of the higher-ups in the local setting.

Single women are pitied and looked down upon by the local LDS women. They're not typically feared as much in terms of being temptresses or seductresses. The wives usually consider them "safe." Single women can now occasionally rise up within the ranks (to a point; one may rise so high as to be "in" a general auxiliary presidency, but we probably won't see a never-married woman as the actual general president of an auxiliary at any time very soon), assuming they've been endowed, though it's with an imaginary asterisk next to their names when they do. A single woman is still "the dreaded single adult."

-Credit goes to Deenie, and may she be at peace and finally at the front of the buffet line wherever she may be.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 04:26PM

A rat race to nowhere I called it.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:11PM

Well
said, Rubicon.
I even went to a ward where one woman, after her husband was called as a bishop, she always referred to him as and called him bishop instead of his name. It reminded me of that episode of Seinfeld whete Elaine was dating a maestro who insisted on being called the maestro! Lol They both thought they were the s*** anyway. What's funny is they had 6 kids and 4 out of 6 left tscc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 05:14PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:20PM

Thank you for reiterating the exorbitant cost of Mormonism. It really is a shit show. There are some minor benefits, but nothing that justifies participation. Any enabler of sucky humans is bad.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 07:24PM

There are lots of presidents in the church. Stake President, president of the priesthood, president of the Elder's quorum, etc., President of the missionary program--plenty enough to go around to make men feel like somebody.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 02:34AM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are lots of presidents in the church. Stake
> President, president of the priesthood, president
> of the Elder's quorum, etc., President of the
> missionary program--plenty enough to go around to
> make men feel like somebody.

Yes, there ARE a lot of preidents in the LDS church, and it probably does serve to assuage egos. We were talking about the JFK assassination earlier this evening, and my childhood nanny mentioned that when it was announced over a loudspeaker at her elementary school that the president had been shot, she didn't understand at first that it was President Kennedy. She thought it was one of the many church presidents. She lived in a branch, so there was a branch president and not a bishop.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 07:54PM

Here's a story of mine that while I ended my climb, there may be others who didn't...

I stopped believing in the mormon ghawd during my first time through the temple. But I still felt fealty towards the mormon tribe. I thought that despite any connection with a ghawd, any ghawd, mormonism was a good way to live. Remember, this was back in 1965.

During the summer of 68, a newly married EOD & wife moved from a Provo duplex a block from campus to a two bedroom home out in Lakeview, about two hundred yards from the shore of Utah Lake. I was back in a real ward, Lakeview ward, with real adults, living adult lives. You know, big people!

My TBM temple bride was all for towing the spiritual line and I went along with it, so we were faithful attendees. My status as an RM and BYU student quickly came to the attention of the powers that be and suddenly and dramatically, I was asked to be the EQP of a big peoples' ward!!!!

Of course, I was going to accept. The fact that I was by now a non-practicing atheist (a non-practicing atheist is an atheist who goes to church), I accepted the position. After all, my temple bride was ecstatic! Her man had started the climb!

I had absolutely no problem taking the job. Which is all it was to me. No ghawd involved; just the minutiae of dotting the appropriate 'i's and crossing the appropriate 't's. Say the right words, make the right faces and praise ghawd at every opportunity. A piece of cake! Spiritual giantism is all about looking good and sounding good.

Now here's my point. I stopped the upward climb by not making myself available after that stint in the Lakeview ward. But I could easily have made a few more moves up the ladder, without a belief in ghawd.

So how many men (sorry ladies, but only the men count...) are on different rungs of the ladder, looking up, knowing that mormonism is not affiliated with a ghawd, any ghawd?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 08:01AM

and I wasn't really thrilled about it. I grew up with a dad who didn't give the priesthood or callings much respect I guess. Callings were a pain. So I was never into the social climbing, but then I come from a family of introverts. My dad was not one.

I was treated better in mormonism than I ever had been while with my ex, while he was cheating with men. There were a few reasons I went inactive (still sort of believing) and one was because the bishop he was the ex. sec. to kept bugging my ex to have me come in and talk to him. He told me that my ex would be the next bishop or the one after that. I IMMEDIATELY went inactive. When my marriage ended, I didn't want an audience and i didn't want a bunch of gossip about my gay ex being a bishop and being excommunicated. AND I certainly didn't want the fallout to effect my children. So I was out of there.

I've referred to the "mormon royalty" list that I found on this site before. My sister and I have determined we are the fringe element and you can't climb above it. My ex is still mormon royalty in this ward. You can't believe how the people treat him (since we share the home).

It was shocking to me how someone could be cheating and still be rising in the ranks. But it happens a lot more than I used to think.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2018 08:05AM by cl2.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:54PM

I personally believe Mormonism is a money, power, community and position contest under the ruse of a "spiritual contest." From my viewpoint, I did see "some" truly spiritual members and some I would nominate as fanatics, but they were in the minority.

The ones who rose to fame as bishops and stake presidents were well off, and a few downright wealthy. Never did see a bishop getting food stamps or working three jobs just to make ends meet.

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 02:12PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.