Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 02:59PM

Ok I tried to tell the missionaries I am done but they would not stop talking at all and saying you must come to church! You will love it! Everyone is so nice and what is keeping you from coming? Then they said you should stop grieving, and I said you want me to stop grieving?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 10, 2018 03:00PM

And they said it is keeping you from church and Jesus, no I really don't care! I will practice saying sorry but I don't want to be Mormon and don't want to be baptized! I am not interested, thank you for your time, I am done!

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 03:06PM

It doesn't sound like you failed. It sounds like they badgered you and you stuck to your guns. Did you make another appointment? It doesn't sound like you did. Stick with your values.

You don't owe them anything, you don't have to answer when they call, you don't have to open the door when they knock. If you want my opinion, they've shown their true colors, they just want you baptised, they don't care what you're going through, why should you want to appease them in any way.

Also, no one can tell you how to grieve. It's a process, and it's your process. Any one who tells you "It's just a dog" or "it's just a pet" doesn't understand the relationships that can form with the pets we have in our lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 03:07PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 03:07PM

Done means you're done. It's your resolve to follow through.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 03:11PM

Why am I not surprised?

Date: August 10, 2018 03:28PM

Oh I am and will throw the book of Mormon away and I will say sorry but I am done! I will say i am a atheist to, Mormons only care about themselves and want to get new people in to pay money

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 04:22PM

Don't say anything to them except that they must stay away from you. Just that. Not one word more. Anything else will make them think you might come around.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 06:01PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't say anything to them except that they must
> stay away from you. Just that. Not one word more.
> Anything else will make them think you might come
> around.

Cheryl's advice is perfect.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 06:43PM

Yes, don't say anything but "goodbye," "go away," "leave me alone," etc. These guys are the worst traveling salesmen, meaning that no matter what you say they will have a come back. Just shut the door in their face, ignore their calls, etc. maybe threaten to get a restraining order. Take out your phone and video record it while you're telling them to go away.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 03:54PM

I would email them and tell them in no uncertain terms that you are done and that you are cutting off all contact. That way they cant badger you. Then do cut off contact. Block their number, email, return any letters they send and dont let them in. Tell them in advance what you plan to do and Do It. Dont have any more contact. If they ambush you in public, walk away.You are.being too nice and they see it as indecision on your part.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 04:09PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 04:15PM

Their job is to talk you into things, not to listen to what you have to say.

I think you need to leave them a message on their phone and post a note on your door. "I want mormon missionaries to please leave me alone. Goodbye."

Then never talk to them again, except to say, "I want mormon missionaries to leave me alone. Goodbye."

Don't say a word to them except that, then hang up the phone or close the door.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 04:20PM

I agree with Bona Dea and Cheryl. Just leave messages and a note on your door saying that you don't want them to call or come by anymore, and call it good. And *don't open the door* to them again. Just because someone knocks, doesn't mean that you have to open the door! Go read a book or watch a TV show instead.

Date: August 10, 2018 04:54PM

Thank you I will do that and grieve, I need to grieve and not have people say you need to stop grieving!

Posted by: not logged in (nli) ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 05:35PM

Say the F word, they are afraid of the F word and will leave! They will say you are angry and bitter? But say you don't care and say the F word every time you see them! And say their church sucks huge donkey balls! And Utah too? They will leave!

Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 05:56PM

Seperate the grieving from the missionaries. Two separate issues.

If you feel you have to confront the missionaries. Rip the Book of Mormon apart in front of them.

Good luck.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 05:58PM

Moon them from your front window.

Shine on.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 06:27PM

Saw an interesting quote today that may apply to you, crazyhorse:

"The most frequent way that people lose their power is to think that they don't have any."

Date: August 10, 2018 10:05PM

Yep that is the missionaries! They pressure you to be baptized and move on

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 10:36PM

You didn't fail. You simply learned a valuable lesson. You proved to yourself why talking to them is pointless. They won't hear you.

You don't owe them any explanations. Just stop meeting with them.

Posted by: Failed ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 01:49AM

Throw the Book at the Mormons!

They'll get the "message".

Date: August 11, 2018 01:28PM

This is what I told the missionaries, I am no longer interested in the lds church anymore, I don't want to be baptized now or ever. I am done and thank you so very much for your time but I am done. They kept saying will you come to church?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 01:28PM by Crazy horse.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 08:45AM

Crazy horse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is what I told the missionaries, I am no
> longer interested in the lds church anymore, I
> don't want to be baptized now or ever. I am done
> and thank you so very much for your time but I am
> done. They kept saying will you come to church?

They’re salesmen. They’re even trained in sales techniques. They will continue until you make them stop.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 02:15PM

You could go crazy on them and they will avoid you like the plague. Here's what to tell them (OK, so I'm half kidding):

You:
Since I read the BoM, I'm receiving non-stop revelations. I need to talk to the prophet to let him know some secret meanings from the BoM I that were revealed to me. Nephi himself has spoken to me in my dreams. I can see things with my spiritual eyes from the book! I've been praying and know this is true.

Them:
Ahhhh. Our prophet receives revelation. You don't understand the orders of who receives revelation about what. You need to pray about it until you see we are right.

You:
I have received clear revelation. There is no mistake. I saw Nephi as clear as day. He was hovering and carrying a steel bow. He said until now, we were not ready to know things he could not write. He said homosexuality is a calling to be a higher priesthood leader. The current day Catholics have an incorrect interpretation of this gospel principal. They lost the true meaning over time and with Satan have corrupted the teaching from God that only homosexuals can be trusted with the highest priesthood keys of the gospel.

Them: Ahhhh. We have to go. Keep praying!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 03:05AM

still in ~

for links to pics of OPie ~

Posted by: Baked Alaska (nli) ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 10:21AM

Jesus, I stepped away from this forum for a few months....I come back and we are all STILL having this conversation with Crazy Horse? I’m sad to say this board has lost its luster. :/

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 11:54AM

so step away for good.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 02:22PM

I think you, Crazy horse, like all the love bombing from the missionaries and other members. I had a friend who was single at the time who was similarly attracted to missionaries (young men) and got baptized even though she wasn't really sure she wanted to.

A mutual friend asked me to clear her head of Mormonism which I gladly did. She immediately found another church community to belong to and never revisited Mormonism. We have been friends ever since.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 12:10AM

You have to give them a reason to avoid you, like becoming a threat to their faith.

Print out the CES letter and keep going over it with them.

Or as I do, start questioning why you should want to go to the Celestial Kingdom.

Ask what exactly will you have to do there. Will you be forced to participate in polygamy as the scriptures say, and as Joseph Smith and others practiced?

Will you have to watch your husband banging all those virgins. Ask if he will be in the missionary position, or otherwise.

Ask how many billions of hours you will have to sit in meetings listening to poorly prepared talks. Ask if they enjoy that. Ask if they ever get bored or their mind wanders.

Or how many billions of hours in the temple watching reruns of movies.

Or ask if the streets will be paved with gold and you have to sit on a throne. Tell them you prefer dirt.

Ask what is wrong with the telestial or terrestrial kingdom. Ask why they don't want you to exercise your free agency and do what you like. Remind them that Satan wants to force us to go to the Celestial Kingdom.

Tell them you don't really like god and don't want to spend eternity with him. Tell them if you were god, you'd spend less time blessing perfectly good food, and would spend more time rescuing abused children.

Tell them you also couldn't be like god who makes things confusing. Hundreds or thousands of religions, all claiming to be the one true one of god. Tell them that any good father would make things clear to his kids and not put them through faith tests.

Or maybe you should live in the attic and send vague messages through some other guy to your kids and watch them struggle to interpret which chores should be done. They can pray and beg for guidance and you will tell them nothing.

Maybe tell them you don't know about the idea of faith, which is to decide in advance what you want to believe, then ignore all contrary evidence. Tell them that is considered fraud or lying in the rest of the world, and is the strategy of most scams.

Tell them to eat horse shit because it will make them healthy, and testify it is true. Tell them they cannot question, but they are to have faith! Or tell them to try any number of MLM schemes going around the church, all based on faith.

Ask how they choose which scam to follow. How is the church not just one of many if it is based simply on faith?

Anyway, I could go on and on, but you'll have their head spinning about things they've never pondered, and they won't be back, at least that's been my experience. Which is disappointing, because it is all kind of fun.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 01:03PM

I don’t understand why this is such a problem. Here is the solution to your problem with the missionaries. It’s called ‘ghosting.’ Google it. It’s all over the internets.

But in a word you IGNORE every single overture they make. No answer phone, door, e-mails, texts, telegrams, carrier pigeons, St. Bernards with miniature barrels around their necks. Whatever. If they accoust you on the street, say nothing, turn and walk away. You owe them NOTHING.

Take it from someone who has ghosted and been ghosted. They will recover and then they can get on to attaching themselves to another golden contact. As it is, you are teasing them, toying with them, wasting their time. Is that the way you want to treat those nice boys?

And for the love of Elohim, throw the frickin’ BOM away. It’s just cheap tissue paper with a bunch of poorly written fairy tales written on it. You keep threatening to do it, just do it, for Celestial Kingdom’s sake! Sheesh! You sound like you believe this drivel.

If you do believe the drivel, nothing will help you eradicate the delusion from your brain more than throwing that crap away. Or better yet, burning it.

Posted by: rubi123 ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 01:16PM

I am thinking you like the drama of being involved with the missionaries.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 01:19PM

Eleven months of drama based upon the results of a simple seatch.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.