Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 06:49PM

"The LDS Church Quietly Doubles Down On A Controversial Gay Policy"

They offer "Preach My Gospel" to each missionary, as what to teach to baptize people. Here's the most recent addition to it.

http://www.kuer.org/post/lds-church-quietly-doubles-down-controversial-gay-policy#stream/0

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 07:31PM

Wow. The church will never learn.

I hope this gets a lot of attention.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 07:34PM

Maybe they've given up on conversions except in countries without universal, affordable internet?

Of course, they are still in play for converting bigots in 1st and 2nd world countries...

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 07:53PM

This is a tough one that troubles my mind. I can kind of see the churches position and defending traditions and what they think is decent, but on the other hand they are going to piss off lots of young children who will always remember for generations that they were excluded and discriminated against.

We don't see the hate now cuz the kids are young, but it is going to be bad in 20 years.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:01PM

anono,

What you say about the public relations and traditional aspects of the anti-gay policy is correct, but is are those things relevant?

Is it in your judgment okay to penalize

1) gay people for their genetics, and

2) the children of gay parents for things over which they have no control?

If it is wrong to discriminate against those two groups of people, then custom does not matter. Churches are supposed to do what is right, not what is traditional or expedient.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 11:54PM

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:22PM

https://despair.com/collections/posters/products/tradition?variant=2457305795

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid."

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:29PM

Perhaps the gay parents can teach their children that the Mormon cult is just a tiny group of half-crazy cranks, who hate almost everybody, and invent lies, and enjoy excluding others from their elite inner group.

I have what is probably a stupid and irrelevant question, but what about the other side of the coin? Mormons emphasize who is and who is not WORTHY of the greeeeaaaat blessed "choice" of being baptized, that they overlook the fact that many parents would OBJECT to their child being baptized into a hoax cult.

My question is, can a minor child be baptized without their parent's permission? One parent's permission? What is the rule?

Knowing what I know, I consider it a good thing that these children are spared a lifetime of lies and slavery to a cult of HATE. Would married gay parents give their consent for their child to be baptized, even if the Mormons allow it?

Why would any parent want their child to be accepted on the surface, and marginalized for life? I faced that with my own children. They were "from a broken home", "not a forever family". "They and I were "doomed to pass by each other as strangers in the hereafter." Um, NO. My children had a brighter future than that!

I know a lot of gay couples with children, from the university, and I don't know of ANY of them who would want their children to be baptized a Mormon!

I would not want my children or grandchildren associated with a group who HATES gays, people with darker skin, other religions, apostates, Atheists, liberals, people with tattoos...well the list goes on forever.

That stupid cult is NOTHING. It represents less than .01% of the religious population, if even that. (Who the Hell feels represented by an old, white, polygamy-believing, arrogant rich guy?)

Wouldn't any parent want a church that puts family first? Gay or straight, your child will never be respected or loved in Mormon society.

I know a lot of Mormons who have quit in protest. They realize that the gay issue is the tip of the iceberg that his gleaming sharply right now. Below the surface is HATRED and lies.

I'm an "apostate", and I would be delighted if the Mormons refused to baptize my progeny, because of me.

--Another question. A lot of gay people I know, were not openly gay while they were having children and baptizing them, or they adopted the kids after they were baptized. Does the Mormon cult UN-DO their children's baptisms?

--What if a child of a gay couple wants to get married in the temple and become a huge tithe-payer? I have a feeling that the cult would make exception for that. They already do, provided that the child denounces his gay parents, which brings me to an even greater level of anger!

I have a feeling that the rich potential tithe-payer would not be required to do any of that, especially if he were related to or good friends with important, higher-up Mormons.

I can see a lot of tweaking of rules and hair-splitting of truth and lies in the future. Well, TSCC has always done a lot of that, in the past, so it's no big deal to them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:43PM

I think the phrase "huge tithe payor" covers a lot of sins.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 10, 2018 08:54PM

when they came out with the policy, they made the statement that children of gays are less than. I had a very difficult time with this policy when it came out. I was TOLD to marry my gay husband, but then they were now telling me my kids were not as good as other kids. It was implied all my life that my family was not as good as other families.

I was just barely thinking about my cousin who married a really nice guy in the temple and they have 4 kids, and all 4 kids got married in the temple and are living supposedly wonderful lives. And I'm like, "Wait a minute? What happened to my perfect mormon life that I worked so hard for?" OH, it's all my fault.

Anyway, I haven't always been on the best terms with my 2 sisters. I was fearful of asking them what they thought. They were FURIOUS about this policy including my still active mormon sister, (though I wouldn't call her TBM--you can't be TBM and come from our family). That is all I needed to hear that THEY GOT IT.

I tend to wonder how my daughter deals with it and if she is ever asked by leaders if she supports her dad's lifestyle (though he isn't in a relationship at this time).

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 12:02AM

I wish the young man featured in the article would wake up and realize that the so called apostles are nothing but scumbags.

“A lot of people thought, ‘It’s kind of clear that they didn’t think this through,’ that they kind of messed it up. You know, people make mistakes,” he said.

It is a hateful policy that reaffirms their bigotry and hate for gays. This was done in retaliation of the court's decision.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.