Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon_Today_Please ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 03:11AM

Hey folks,
Thought I’d ask for tips on how to avoid getting a church calling while seemingly retaining “good standing” in the eyes of the bishopric. Long story short, I still attend church on Sundays to keep the family peace but the last thing I need in my life right now is a church calling. What can I say/do to make sure I’m not asked to teach Sunday School or lead Elders Quorum, etc?
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 03:19AM

Don't have a temple recommend.

Work Sundays

Teach odd doctrine

Tell the bishop no

Inform the bishop he is to release your wife from all callings

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 03:25AM

When called by a panther, don't anther.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:22AM

Just say no!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:56AM

I got doctors' notes. One explained that my immune system was compromised, and that I had to stay away from crowds--especially children--and germs, until my problem was corrected. This happened to be true, but the Mormons had no empathy or understanding.

Tell them that you would be infecting THEM with germs, with a nasty flu that you can't get rid of. This works short-term, unless you come up with other diseases to get. Of course, if you are like me, I was never too sick to go to work and make a living. If the Mormons see you out and about, and are rude enough to confront you, tell them, "I have to go about my life, and make a living--there's no other option. Church work is VOLUNTEER work, and not life-or-death.

If the callings involve teaching, be creative, and tell the bishopric, or whoever is calling you, about your great ideas! Tell them you want to encourage debates on specific topics, discussion groups, outside research, outside resources for your lessons, guest speakers outside the church. Tell them you plan to hold lessons at your house, or outdoors on the church lawn. Let's see, what else did I do? Oh yes, tell them you want to do exchanges with other churches. Tell them you want to issue a class newsletter, and let the kids express themselves, and post interesting things on the ward bulletin board. Open the classroom window, no matter what the weather, to let the fresh air in there! Bring treats on fast Sundays. Put the chairs in a circle to facilitate class participation. Play lots of games, like hang-man, pictionary, and charades. In the primary class, I would illustrate the stories on the blackboard, and let the kids help me draw--and we would never erase it. Sometimes we would throw a monster into the story. I enjoyed being horrible, and so did the kids, but eventually they allowed me to resign teaching.

Teachers would often just not show up. About half the time I would end up teaching two classes combined. After a few Sundays of someone not showing up, the leaders would get the idea, and bully--I mean, "call"--someone else to teach that class.

Be late, always. Laugh and joke often. Wear the wrong thing.

Even after quitting teaching, they would call me to substitute teach, and I said no every time. I told the ward people that my schedule was unpredictable, and that I was on call on weekends, and I never knew in advance if someone would suddenly need me, and I would have to leave in the middle of my VOLUNTEER work to take care of my real business. This was true.

My children had after-school student jobs, and they would deliberately volunteer for the Sunday shifts. We all would rather work than go to the Mormon church.

After I quit teaching, I still had the callings of ward and stake organist. I became seriously ill, and had to endure several months of painful hospital procedures. I had to take a leave of absence from work, and everybody was very kind and understanding, at work. The ward members were nasty, and said that if I could drive myself to the hospital, I could play the organ. The leaders even threatened me, that I would get sicker, and God would withdraw His blessings from me, and my children would fail, also, if I quit playing the organ. Even if you have the best reason in the world, the Mormons won't accept it!

Why are we afraid to lie to a bunch of liars? I didn't want to lie, because I value my integrity, so I learned to just say, "NO." Do not explain. Talking just opens the door to the Mormons' well-practiced manipulative techniques.

"No, I won't be there. No, I'm not going to do that. No. Don't count on me. No." You will have to repeat this many times, before the Mormon finally sends someone else to pester you all over again, and you repeat your same assertive "NO" behavior, until it becomes automatic. Say no, no, no, like a broken record.

After a couple of years of constantly trying to keep Mormons from invading our lives, we resigned. It was too late, because my children had already been abused by the Mormon leaders. I was so burnt out that I never played the organ or piano again, after we resigned. I still can't go into a church building, without feeling sick. I still cringe when the land-line phone rings, or when the doorbell rings after 9:00 at night. My children and I don't trust Mormons, and I'm afraid we don't like them, either. The neighborhood ward members are shunning us, but we're fine with that. There are a lot of not-Mormons to befriend. We are much happier without Mormons or their cult directing our lives.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 11:18AM

“Why are we afraid to lie to a bunch of liars?”

They’re not lying and not stupid. They’re mired in a system of self delusion that’s stuck in the past. The church selects only deluded fools for leaders (they’re very careful about that) so it’s not self-correcting.

Why are we afraid of life? Is it supposed to be all happy happy joy joy, or is it supposed to be real? Life is going to kill you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 11:19AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Happiness ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:57AM

Tie your hair in a knot.

B happy!
Y not?
U celebrate!

Posted by: logged off ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 06:43AM

Don't dress for so-called "success."

No white shirt
**NO TIE**
Denim jeans

You're likely to get dirty looks and snide comments, and probably a firm lecture from the bishop on "obedience," but if you can handle those, you're good to go. If you can't, well…

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 06:45AM

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 09:11AM

I had 5 callings when I started to bring things down from the shelf,took me 18 months of searching to finally resign,during the 18 months I dropped all the callings one by one,my health was'nt the best anyway so just went to Bishop every few months and told him I could'nt keep up with all the callings,Counsellor in RS,Primary teacher,Family History Consultant doing 2 evenings and one half day,Visiting Teacher and on Activities Committee,don't think he had a clue as to what I was doing as the shock he got when I handed him my resignation letter was very real,Hubby nevermo so they did'nt have that to throw at me,actually let me go with very little fuss.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 10:49AM

Pray about the calling and tell the bishop that the spirit told you to decline.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 11:10AM

Nancy Reagan had a slogan about this years ago.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 11:10AM

be busy and tell them you aren't able to make the appt. I did that for a long time.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 11:19AM

Tell em you had a vision and proceed to speaking in tongues.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 12:25PM

Wear sandals to the interview and paint your toenails red. :)

Don't laugh. Got a lot of guys out of the draft back during Nam. No I didn't. Just missed going to war by a hair though--didn't do well in the lottery.

Seriously. Good luck in getting out of the calling. It is hard what you are doing. Very hard.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 01:00PM

My junior high English teacher knew of a man who'd shot off his little toe to keep from being drafted during the Nam era. It worked.

Someone else I knew just skipped town for Canada to evade the draft. Came home later and became a Weber State College professor and drug dealer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2018 04:05PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:08PM

Good old Harrison High, lol!
But they really have cleaned the place up, you wouldn't even recognize it. Torn down all the old historic structures and up went multi million dollar big box luxury prison complex buildings.

But as for avoiding callings, colored shirts, jeans, cowboy boots, may be the trick?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 03:33PM

There is a beautiful word to avoid a calling. N O !!

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:27PM

There were a couple of times that I outright said that I wouldn't be good at doing that, but thanks for asking.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:29PM

If you talk for 45 minutes during F/T meeting and point out individual members in the congregation and tell them what revelations the Lord has in store for them, then they won't call you for anything.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:47PM

Tell em you have ringworm.

Posted by: Anon_Today_Please ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 05:53PM

OP here. A huge thank-you to everyone for the comments and ideas, whether thoughtful, humorous, or both! Will keep y’all updated on how I work this all out. Cheers and god bless.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 06:58PM

Posted by: MexMom: Just say no!

P: Ditto.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 07:05PM

Grow a luxurious beard!

Explain that your time is limited now that you're working part-time at a marijuana dispensary. Mention how good you feel that you're finally making a difference in peoples' lives...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 09:51PM

Gain a reputation as a hell raiser. Worked pretty good back in the day from me and my little brother.

Posted by: Intelligent Donkey ( )
Date: August 11, 2018 10:55PM

Volunteer to run the nursery. No lessons to teach, you play with kids, and you miss quorum meetings and sunday school. It will improve your Sundays.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 09:39AM

Tell them you will accept a calling when they can honestly answer why Joseph Smith married his followers wives when that is a clear violation of the 10 Commandments and the Law of the Priesthood?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:25AM

Resign.

I know it doesn't maintain the good standing thing, but why do you need that?

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:51AM

Thanks to the beloved Correlation program I've been well trained to never say NO and always say YES to the LDS holy leaders. Thus instead of telling you to avoid callings I'm going to suggest how you say YES :)

The most important reason to accept callings is to help build up the TRUE Church - i.e. the most honest/transparent organization ever. But to do a good job in your calling you need to be as well-prepared as you can to answer questions that may come up as you fulfill your holy duties. For starts we live in the internet age and people have lots of questions about the Church. I know a little bit about a recent news story where Heavenly Father has accumulated 13 sacred LLCs of 32 billion dollars worth of stock holdings. This is an important development in the progress of the Church. And I now feel so inadequate on explaining this matter to people.

"Bishop, I am so grateful for you extending this calling and my answer is YES. I shall begin to fulfill my duties as soon as I can be fully prepared and overcome a recent inadequacy of mine. The Lord has 13 sacred LLCs of 32 billion dollars worth of stock holdings. I have not yet read all the statements/explanations on how/why these were accumulated. If people, as I fulfill my new calling, ask me questions then I will be unable to fulfill my responsibilities adequately and they may have doubts and start to believe we're not the true Church. So please email me at [my email] a link to the full explanations on this topic as I need this up front before I begin my new duties."

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:24PM

Worship

How
Where
Who
What
When
WHY and
IF

You may

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 07:38PM

Personally, I would dodge requests for interviews with the bishopric, and say that you simply are not able to do a calling for "personal reasons." But that's my MO.

Just joking, but you could also do a really, really bad job of the calling. Make the bishop regret that he ever gave you that job! Fail to show up, bumble about, have no clue. Get creative about it! lol

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:48PM

I worked my way down from bishopric to primary teacher of 6 or 7 year olds, which I liked. They were smarter than I thought, and hadn't quite adopted the brainwashing yet.

One Sunday I was telling them god would answer their prayers. Little girl said during a thunderstorm she was scared so prayed to have it end, but it didn't. She asked why he didn't end it.

I said, let's go outside and play. I gradually avoided teaching them BS and we just had fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.