Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 10:56PM

Yes, wow! I'm so glad I took off work to witness Sam the Lionheart make LDS Culture history and to hear the gut-wrenching stories harm done and then to hear the gut-felt apologies by LDS bishops and leaders for causing such harm.

Please watch the podcast if you have not yet done so. It's on their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRyUUr9F8Jw

If you are triggered by the hymns/prayers and sometimes the Mormon cadence of the gathering, just fast forward through that as most of the speakers really hit the target with power. Sam, closing remarks are full of authenticity and personal power. The current set of General Conference speakers seem and feel so shallow after seeing Sam in action.

One TBM father who lost his teenage son to suicide due to being shamed by a bishop actually called out The Brethren, "If one more child dies because of your interview policy that child's blood will be upon you!" He got a rousing applause and many Amen's for that bold statement.

Hey, the recent bishop of Russell Nelson's home ward was there, spoke and called Nelson out to do the right thing. I do hope the TV stations will use that for a soundbite!

The place was packed and the overflow areas seemed nearly full as well. My rough estimate - 350 to 400 folks plus most of the local media outlets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 11:16PM

Now they've gone and done it! Wholly McGhost is bound to be pissed and you know what happens when he gets pissed and withdraws his influence!!

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 11:45PM

externally, tscc can't admit this makes any difference whatsoever so they discourage members from annoying them, becoming unruly recalcitrant

internally, I hope they're choking on their own vomitus.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 12, 2018 11:55PM

Vomitus was my second favorite Greek philosopher!

Who was my favorite, you ask? Well, who else but Peristalsis!! That guy, Peristalsis, really got to me! He had my guts churning!!! There was no one else like him!!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:40AM

Emesis is a bitch.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 12:18PM

GNPE1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> externally, tscc can't admit this makes any
> difference whatsoever so they discourage members
> from annoying them, becoming unruly recalcitrant

It is a Catch 22. They would have to allow grassroots change which they never have in changing their ways. According to Oaks they don't have to apologize but making the change would admit wrong doing.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 12:11AM

oh Yeah.. they had a rally. How wonderful. Lets hope that this is only the beginning and it will go on and on and get bigger and
bigger and the message gets out there and they can quit sweeping
it under the rug in the hopes that no one will realize whats been
happening, that shouldn't happen for years and years now.

Putting it out there in the public eye is the beginning of the
end for this vile practice.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 12:13AM

Mandatory bishop and SP interviews with all identifiable participants? Threats of disciplinary action?

I am beyond thrilled that people are speaking up!!

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 12:32PM

There are many things terribly wrong about the Mormon church. I put these intrusive interviews of vulnerable teenagers and young folks at near top of the list. I am glad this is happening. The church needs to be exposed more and more in the media. That is the main catalyst for 'inspiration' of the senior leaders.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 12:36PM

I am torn on this issue because, as we know, the churchâ„¢ is a scam, so why try to reform it? Sam should realize this by now.

On the other hand, one step at a time--the realization that the ward bishop is not chosen by inspiration from the Holy Ghost and is just an untrained local plumbing contractor...and from there the realization sets in that as you go higher up in the church it's the same: just a bunch of old men pretending to speak for god.

And then the shelf cracks.

P.S. I am still convinced that the root of "purity" questions in interviews goes back to church higher-ups grooming young women and girls to become their plural wives, so they would want to make sure they were "unlicked", and would shame the young men into keeping their hands off of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.