Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hangry ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:12PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:18PM

He's having a lousy day, and wants to make sure he ruins everyone else's too.

What a horrible person.

Date: August 13, 2018 01:19PM

I think he's having a lousy life.

Date: August 13, 2018 01:21PM

Could very well be. He's a troubled person.

Sad.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:24PM

Hmmm...hard to tell if those are garment lines.

Geez, they screwed up my order at the Burbank Airport Panda Express last night, but I was cool, so I got freebies....

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:26PM

Funny and sad.
What a tool, mormon or not.

Date: August 13, 2018 01:34PM

He's having a meltdown. What he really needs is to cool down.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:36PM

Poke around "weird news" sites, plenty of stories of people who assault fast-food workers and so on. Some of the funnier ones are when customers dial 911 because their orders don't come as specified.

I wouldn't make this a Mormon-related issue. Just the combination of increased psychotic episodes in our times, amplified by the power of the internet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 01:36PM by caffiend.

Date: August 13, 2018 01:44PM

It's mormon related in my mind because I'm under the impression that he's a BYU employee. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I'd guess the BYU would try to sweep it under the rug because he's a man/preisthood holder with a family and it was just a girl that he assaulted.

Date: August 13, 2018 01:47PM

The guy in the video looks an awful lot like this guy:

https://rugby.byu.edu/content/david-smyth

Comments on some other sites point to him, too...

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 06:42PM

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900025536/former-byu-rugby-coaches-to-take-roles-with-the-uvu-rugby-program.html

His stated reason is interesting, but cryptic:

"In 2011 the extramural sports program, of which the rugby team is a part of, was moved into the Student Life department. That change made it difficult to run the rugby program with the standards we were used to. Simply put, our vision, strategies and goals for the rugby program do not align with those of the Student Life department. So, after thirty plus years of being a part of the BYU rugby program, I have decided to step aside and move on."

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:55PM

Imagine being married to him or being his child. I'd rather be dead.

Date: August 13, 2018 02:01PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 08:04PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 02:03PM

He's clearly quite comfortable with bullying.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 03:04PM

He looks like the type who's tough around girls and women only.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 03:16PM

Yes. And he's got that slapping action down. A little too practiced at it.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:31PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He looks like the type who's tough around girls
> and women only.

I have that same thought. I have known several males like that. And there are people, male and female, who will insult and abuse those who work with the public because they know the person is stuck behind that counter and they are always supposed to be nice to customers no matter what.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 08:32PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 03:23PM

I'm quite sure I heard him call her a f*****g b***h as he walked out. Now, if he works for BYU, they do look down on that kind of language. s/

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:33PM

You did hear that.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 03:27PM

Someone needs a Happy Meal.

Date: August 13, 2018 05:09PM

Tee hee. And a time out.

Date: August 13, 2018 04:45PM

Not sure if he issued any threats. It appears his actual offences were breach of the peace ("disorderly person") and destruction of property (the food). The guy's a jerk, but I think posters are being unduly hostile because he is, or is assumed to be, LDS.

Compare that guy's obnoxious behavior with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obuYz3dZcnI

Then there's this (not involving fast food employees):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uorYfrLE7Y

As I stated above, these people come in all shapes and sizes. And people wonder why I carry!

Date: August 13, 2018 06:54PM

I agree with everything except the "unduly" part :)

Mormons claim to be "special." They revel in being more righteous (or claiming to be) than "normal" people.

So, yeah, we enjoy it when their hypocrisy is put on display. I don't think we unduly enjoy it...

Date: August 13, 2018 11:49PM

The redundancy is implicit and deliberate without undue quotation marks.

Your point, Hie, is duly noted!

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 02:01AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> Mormons claim to be "special." They revel in
> being more righteous (or claiming to be) than
> "normal" people.
>
> So, yeah, we enjoy it when their hypocrisy is put
> on display. I don't think we unduly enjoy it...

This^^^

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 07:01PM

What was unduly hostile? He's a jerk guilty of two misdemeanors. That seems like more than enough to speculate that he might not be a very nice person. Nobody suggested he be drawn and quartered.

I'm kind of curious as to why he wanted "my money". Too bad we're missing the front end of the story.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 07:29PM

Wow. The minute he knocked the coffee cup out of her hand, she should have walked away for her own safety. That's the type of thing that you immediately refer to a manager. No employee should have to deal with that.

Perhaps he should ask himself what would have happened if he tried that kind of behavior on a commercial flight.

Date: August 13, 2018 08:03PM

We only saw a video.

It may be that guy was reported to police for assault and battery.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:15PM

I wouldn't piss on that jerk if he caught fire next to me! (here that troll!! I'm pissing again!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 10:16PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 07:33PM

What? You get trolled for peeing? Man, with the amount of water I drink, I'm TOTALLY screwed. LOL!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:22AM

Oh yeah....he/she/it lurketh....and climbs out of the ooze to threaten me....at their peril.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 06:25PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 09:39AM

I know the idiot SJWs take too much upon themselves, but going after a necessary bodily function? Reminds me of some goddamn feminazis a few years ago pissed off so bad that men exist they stormed men's washrooms in New York Shitty and smashed the urinals. Ya, one can't make this stupid shit up.

http://thepeoplescube.com/peoples-blog/feminist-group-breaks-urinals-as-a-symbol-of-male-chauvinism-t16210.html

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:27PM

legally speaking...

Here in WA the :application: of the assault statutes has gradually expanded over the past few years;

earlier it was applied as only a Hurting incident with an unlawful contact, but lately I've (not an atty) noticed that an incident WITHOUT touching as been applied / prosecuted as an assault...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 11:56PM

I get on the internet and complain to the owners. They usually send me coupons for free food. I don't go there much anymore though as they have you pull forward too many times. They have had me pull forward when there wasn't anyone else there!!! I'm the pull forward queen. Ask my kids. It never fails, EXCEPT AT WENDY'S. So if I get fast food, I go to Wendy's.

It really is maddening, but he is being a total ass.

Notice he is wearing shorts. Why aren't his garments hanging down? Usually shorts that length would at least show a glimpse of garments.

Oh, I was going to say I thought it was going to be the guy my boyfriend was telling me about yesterday. The guy used a water cup to get a regular drink and one of the employees confronted him. I can't remember what first happened, but the stupid man left and came back and refilled his cup. So then he was abusive to the employee, so they called the cops, and the guy went in the restroom and locked the door and wouldn't let the cops in. Then when the cops got in, he resisted arrest. All over paying for a cup of soda. Amazing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 11:58PM by cl2.

Date: August 14, 2018 12:07AM

That is bizarre.

Date: August 14, 2018 12:58AM

cl2 Wrote:
>
> It really is maddening, but he is being a total
> ass.

The legal charge is Aggravating 2nd Degree Jerkism
>
> Notice he is wearing shorts. Why aren't his
> garments hanging down? Usually shorts that length
> would at least show a glimpse of garments.

Maybe he isn't LDS. Most of the posters assume he is.
>
Then when the cops got in, he resisted
> arrest. All over paying for a cup of soda.

It's not the principle of the matter, it's the money. Getting serious, the charge was probably something along the lines of "Disorderly Person" or "Breach of the Peace." Legal nomenclature varies. I wonder what his bail was?

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 02:01AM

What a prick
what a pig
what an @$$

Obviously, a lot must have transpired in order to draw the attention of the video recorder before they started recording, and notice that the girls in the video are snickering. So he'd clearly been making a scene before.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 02:53AM

Gordon B. Stinky Wrote:
> What a prick
> what a pig
> what an @$$
>
> Obviously, a lot must have transpired in order to
> draw the attention of the video recorder before
> they started recording, and notice that the girls
> in the video are snickering. So he'd clearly been
> making a scene before.

The giggling girls followed him out the door. I wonder if maybe he's the father of at least one of them and they were with him but were embarrassed to be close to him

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 02:36AM

I live in Provo. That guy looks familiar.

Date: August 14, 2018 06:02AM

Be wary. Be very wary. He acts like a loose cannon with nothing to lose.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 14, 2018 12:13PM

I saw this thread yesterday and then later stopped at my local McDonalds drive through for my large diet coke with ice, a several times a week purchase. There was a little wait in line so after I paid for it so I asked the young guy who took my money if he’d heard about this story today.

He said, yes I heard about it but the managers tell us not to talk to customers about it. I thought that was probably a good idea.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 02:28AM

Lot's Wife and one of the Little Lots had a similar experience at a McDonald's several weeks ago.

We were in the drive-thru lane just behind a woman who was upset over her order. Said woman started screaming at a frightened employee at the window, whom she kept calling crude names. Lot's Wife felt sad for the employee and started openly recording the interaction via cell phone, not so much because the aggrieved driver was likely to grow violent as to make her think twice about what she was doing.

After a few minutes the driver went silent, then she stuck her phone out of the car window and pointed it at me as if I were doing something wrong. Laughing, Little Lot informed me that the woman had neglected to turn the camera on. I found that amusing, and so called out to her: "Push the 'on' button!"

"What?" she demanded.

"Your camera," I said, "Push the 'on' button."

Silence again as she withdrew and inspected her phone. Then she hurled some imprecations at me and furiously drove off, leaving the Salt family laughing uproariously. I then gave the employee my contact information in case the driver tried to make a false complaint.

The Lots derived some entertainment from the episode, but it was an unfortunate commentary on how people treat low-wage workers today. Moreover, the driver was not alone: there was a small child in her car, a child who had witnessed it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 02:30AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 10:29AM

What a story. Funny. Not Funny. But fun to read.

You made me reminisce the days I pumped gas (before self serve) in Provo to get through school. There were a lot of people like what you just described. Soured me from working for the public. Never did it again.

I gave it back to one lady. She marched into the office and demanded I be fired. The boss later told me he loved what I said to her--been dying to say the same to her for years. But don't do that again of course was the final directive. She did come back because we always had the cheapest gas. No pride--or class--at all.

Date: August 15, 2018 11:55AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
Laughing, Little Lot informed me that the
> woman had neglected to turn the camera on. I
> found that amusing, and so called out to her:
> "Push the 'on' button!"
>
> "What?" she demanded.
>
> "Your camera," I said, "Push the 'on' button."

Little Lot noticed her camera was not recording a car length away? L.L. is prescient indeed. Just what I expected.
>
> Then she hurled some imprecations at me...

I can't imagine imprecations of any caliber getting past the Infallible Invisible Shield of Wit and Wisdom that always surrounds Ms.Lot.

I then gave the employee
> my contact information in case the driver tried to
> make a false complaint.

Good for you! I have done as much in a few such situations I observed.
>
> ...it was an unfortunate commentary on
> how people treat low-wage workers today.

There was, once upon a time, social constructs called manners, or etiquette, which were deconstructed along with other arbitrary, artificial constructs like morality and "right and wrong." In the name of "honesty" and "being real" people were encouraged to be honest and "be themselves." So now we let it all hang out.

> Moreover, the driver was not alone: there was a
> small child in her car, a child who had witnessed
> it all.

I'm sure this enlightened citizen has liberated her child from the necessity of always saying "please" and "thank you."

My, how wonderfully we are evolving!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 02:49PM

Obviously kids know technology products better than adults. I think Little Lot noticed that the night light did not turn on. Something like that.

In any case, the situation was really unfortunate. The McDonalds employee was an older woman, not a native speaker of English, and I think she did not understand some of the customer's choicer expressions. She was anxious, fearful.

I agree with you about the decline of civility. The problem is that social norms and customs are both liberating and oppressive. It is difficult to dismantle those rules and manners that oppress certain groups (minority ethnicities, majority genders, foreigners, etc) without undermining those other customs and courtesies that are mainly positive. I am an optimist when it comes to social progress; I think some healthy change is possible and has, with some serious birth pains, been achieved in a number of countries since World War Two.

I prefer to think that economic forces, bad political luck, and bad examples by political and social leaders explain the bulk of the deterioration in civility in the US over the last 15-25 years, depending on how one measures it. But it is unfortunate that the country has reached the point where people scream at each other over such trivial matters as pickles on a hamburger.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:02AM

Here it comes. Get ready. This is really exciting because it's so great. Beacause it's so exciting. Isn't neat? It's so great. Here it is.

MORMONS ARE WINNERS! Just the best really.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 12:01PM

It must be the spirit moving upon the normally calm surface of my soul... I am reminded that 'mormon winners' NEVER dance The Merengue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjCQO4IupI

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 05:55PM

Say what you want about me but I'm sane compared to this guy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.