Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 01:58PM

Wow. That was not flattering for mormons. It basically states that mormons are highly susceptible to being duped and it comes from their materialistic nature.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: $$$$ ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 02:51PM

The church itself promotes the concept that wealth equates to righteousness. Why are only wealthy individuals in high leadership positions? Why are there no blue collar seventies or apostles? Why are stake presidents and bishops usually chosen from the more wealthy members of the stake and ward? And finally, how many of these scams are perpetrated by Mormons in leadership positions?

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:34PM

+1000
That is definitely the elephant in the room that he did not talk about.

Posted by: readwrite-NLI ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 02:10PM

A bunch of dummies trust in a bunch of crooked dummies.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 02:30PM

Why scam Mormons? To paraphrase Willie Sutton: "Because that's where the dupes are."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 02:32PM by GregS.

Posted by: anon this time ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 02:59PM

The book quoted, "Pure in Heart," was actually issued THIRTY YEARS AGO. Interesting how LDS Living didn't mention that…

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1898531,1898693#msg-1898693

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 03:03PM

Thanks to the beloved Correlation program I have learned how to think/analyze everything in a glorious peculiar way. I would like to bear solemn testimony that I have a very good feeling about MMMs because they will make me SUPER RICH :) While all you exmormons are wandering lost down pitiful paths (such as those where you don't get our super awesome 10% gross income fire insurance) that those of us who follow the Spirit are going to get SUPER RICH as long as we find the right MMM.

So far no luck with MMMs. It must be Satan that snared me. Or Heavenly Father just lovingly testing me. However I got to endure to the end in trying to find the right MMM for me. Then once I find it then I'll exhaustively contact everyone on my Ward/Stake rosters to try to get them all signed up. Same goes for all my cousins and other relatives. I would contact all my friends but I lost them all on other MMM adventures. I'd ask the exmos to join my downline but they don't listen to my "Holy Ghost says you need to join my downline" sales pitch.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:59PM

MMM = Mountain Meadows Massacre;

MLM = Multi Level Marketing....

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 10:44AM

You are correct and I meant to write MLM, not MMM. It appears that the super powerful Holy Ghost gift I got when I was 8 had a little bit of a problem when I wrote that comment. Maybe its because I haven't been completely obeying my local leaders like I've been taught to do by the Correlation program. If we all could learn to be as obedient to our local leaders like those faithful men in Iron County did in 1857 on MMM then what a world we would live in. Thank you.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 03:10PM

Here is a get rich quick scheme promoted directly by Russel M Nelsons wife.

Basically, it works like this, all you have to do is pay tithe on what YOU WANT TO EARN and not on your current disappointing earnings, and hey presto the following year you are in the money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvUCoY86svg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2018 03:20PM by Zeezromp.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 06:17PM

But it is a mormony way of doing things. MLMs are just pyramid schemes. Okay, also mormony.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:35PM

I hope no one believes Wendy, this is almost as bad as Pastor Murdock who gets on the christian station and demands those $1000 seed offerings from poor people....

... Luv gifts!

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 08:44PM

"Materialism is a seductive distortion of self-reliance."

that seems valid. I would add that too many mormons marry too young and expect to have it all before they are 22. They get into too much student debt for degrees in fields that they really dont know much about. All for the purpose of buying ones place in the white collar world using their master cards. By the time they figure out that school is dumb they have already racked up $30,000. No wonder we have a student loan default crises in this Country.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:14AM

School is dumb ? Would you still say that if it was a lot cheaper ?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 03:32PM

Because they're greedy and gullible.

If they had critical thinking skills, they'd be less gullible. They'd also be less Mormon.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 05:30PM

Speaking of gullible--I linked to next article about Oaks' father dying despite tons of faith, priesthood blessings and medical help in 1940; his mother was disconsolate, but at the funeral these "inspired" words were uttered...

"... ‘not my will, but thine, be done.’ So it was with the Savior Himself. His prayer was not answered because it was not the will of the Lord, and so our prayers have not been answered as we have asked . . . for [Lloyd’s] recovery, but we have always said ‘thy will be done.’”

In other words, you can do EVERYTHING right, get blessings, pay tithing, obey the commandments....but if God wants to kill you off--that's the way it goes.

*Ironically, the article is titled: 'The Powerful Lesson Elder Oaks Learned When Priesthood Blessings Didn't Heal His Father'
Maybe it should been titled: 'If God wants Eff With You, You Can't Do Nuthin' About It.'

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 05:40PM

Exactly. If it's all a crap shoot, then what's the point?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 06:35PM

Maybe because tithing sucks them dry and they're all looking for a jackpot....so they can pay more friggin' tithing?

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: August 13, 2018 10:43PM

I was just telling a guy today how many church people are the opposite of what Jesus was about.

Money is a primary pursuit, they love war, like long prayers, do things to be seen of men, etc, etc.

So much for being peacemakers, not setting hearts upon the things of this world, doing works in secret, etc.

The good people in church are almost against the culture.

Date: August 13, 2018 11:13PM

Notice how HOAX skirts the issue of a valid study to determine if that hypothesis (Increased susceptibility) is correct?

I'm thinking that a couple of statistic & psychology could be used to design a accurate determination... IF THEY CHOOSE TO!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:09AM

My favorite get-rich scheme goes something like this ... Give me money and god will bless you. Way too easy.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 06:54PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My favorite get-rich scheme goes something like
> this ... Give me money and god will bless you.
> Way too easy.

And, the more money you give me, the more blessed you will be.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:17AM

A lawyer writes a book about being pure in heart while addressing materialism to his flock and will personally be enriched by the people buying his book.

"What does it really mean to be pure in heart, and how does one attain such a state of righteousness?"

I doubt he knows anything about this question.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:45AM

So that's why it makes a somewhat tacit admission of guilt (notice he makes the case that its not proven TBMs have this proclivity, but if they do... It makes a lot of excuses of course. (They're materialistic because they want to be "self-reliant"). They are "too trusting".

Usual tripe.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:20PM

It's not just Mormons. Bernie Madoff was ripping off his fellow jews at the synagog. It's the dark side of human nature.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:32PM

The state rips people off on state lotteries.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:45PM

The state taxes the winner to make all the losers feel better. The winner is no longer a customer, all the losers are the future customers.

Date: August 16, 2018 12:27AM

with a simple call to 1 800 BYU BARF, Hoax could order-up a systematic study, perhaps with scholarly design & execution to see if Mormons are susceptible (as compared to others)…

Think he will?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.