Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 10:19AM

On Feb 27, 2015 the beloved Jeffrey R. Holland, a holy prophet seer revelator and Apostle in the LDS Church, had an interview with Howard Hewitt where we learned about a marvelous inspired prophecy about next year when the Church will have a baseline of something around 100,000 missionaries. The enemies of the truth may scoff, weep, wail, and gnash their teeth about this glorious prophecy and the road its on. But its just another thing to study up on so you can find out for yourself whether or not the Church is truly true.

http://www.hughhewitt.com/a-conversation-with-lds-elder-jeffrey-holland/

HH: 15 million Mormons now, right, Elder?
JH: Right.
HH: And of those, 83, 85,000 are in mission fields right now?
JH: Right, about 85.
HH: All right, now I have had a lot of Mormon interns, two of whom have gone on mission. Marlon is not currently, and never went on a mission. But I would, one went to Zimbabwe.
JH: Yeah.
HH: One stayed in San Antonio, Texas.
JH: Yeah.
HH: The first was a man, the second was a woman. I would wonder what the burden of having all these young people on the road in an era of religious intolerance is like.
JH: It is a burden. It is a worry. We proceed with great faith. We say a lot of prayers on behalf of those young people, because they’re your sons and daughters and my sons and daughters, collectively speaking, and they’re someone’s child. And we worry about them a lot. But the miracle is that every indication we have, and we try to be very careful, we try to be very sensitive about where they work and to what locations they’re assigned and so on and so forth, but having said that, the statistics are that they’re safer in the mission field than they were at home. The chances for an accident, the chances for a serious difficulty or a death, are really minimal. We have been very, very blessed. We knock on wood and say our prayer, and don’t want to be arrogant about that, because there is a very high risk. But we’re greatly blessed, and they continue to come They continue to serve. And those numbers will increase. We’re projecting out probably within four years, the baseline number for the missionary force will be something around 100,000.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 15, 2018 10:33AM

https://mormonmissionprep.com/news/number-of-mormon-missionaries/

There is a chart showing the missionary numbers at year-end. You will note 85,147 as the year-end 2014 number. BTW I haven't gotten any guidance from the beloved Correlation program to look beyond the 85K number for year end 2014 or to read the latest official statistics at https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/2017-statistical-report-april-2018-general-conference so I'll just presume in the meantime that everything is on a peachy awesome path towards 100,000 next year :) Besides I'm swamped as it is on needing to obey my leaders and I'm well-reminded that I'm so unworthy to discern truth-vs-error because of how woefully behind I am on fulfilling all my duties. For example, I haven't even gotten the rest of the temple work done on all my pre-Noah-flood ancestors and their descendants who died non-Mormon so if I ever were to raise a difficult question then I should presume that a loving priesthood leader would remind me of how guilty I should be for slacking on such duties so that I'll never think of ever questioning anything again about this glorious wondrous true, honest, and transparent Church of ours.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 10:56AM

I was going to check how many missionaries are currently serving, but I realized that I don’t need to. When our inspired leaders speak, the thinking has been done.

It’s safe to assume that there are 100,000 LDS missionaries serving now.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:09AM

Date: August 15, 2018 11:42AM

Well, 67,049 rounded to the nearest 100,000 is 100,000.

Does that sound like an apologist's argument?

Date: August 15, 2018 12:41PM

Good grief. That would be dishonest. When Holland said 100,000 next year then that means what it means, period. 3.5 years ago the Church had about 85K missionaries and Holland was quite clear about it that the missionary numbers were going to continue to grow incredibly by next year. The only way that Holland could be wrong is if he were a false prophet but of course such an idea is unthinkable as the Correlation program has taught me how to think.

Now the very idea of anyone trying to make a dishonest argument to try to defend the Church is unacceptable. That's why I started posting here because someone has to simply tell the truth about our wondrous gospel from the TBM perspective or else people may start to have doubts about whether or not our Church is really true - i.e. honest/transparent. If I were to lie about things, like DCP does, then I'd be a dishonest TBM.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 01:47PM

Honest TBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I were to lie about things,
> like DCP does, then I'd be a dishonest TBM.

Made me lol! I think he would vehemently disagree.

Date: August 15, 2018 01:48PM

Thanks. You often lead me back to the straight and narrow.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:11PM

And 100,000 rounded to the nearest 1,000,000 is zero.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:47PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:51PM

Sort of like the number of Mormons. Rounding to any reasonable number in a world of over 7 billion people, the number of Mormons is zero.

Numerically, historically, doctrinally, and morally, the LDS church is a rounding error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 09:52PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:59PM

>the LDS church is a rounding error

That is a great description.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:59AM

So isn't it still the case that every member is a missionary? You just might get counted as a missionary if you haven't officially resigned.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 12:07PM

And I wonder when they add to the yearly missionary count? Is it the number of 'callings' mailed out? Is it the number that check into an MTC? Is it the number that check into their mission home? Or is it the number that are honorably released?

It's probably not the last one...

If it's the first one, the mission calls, it brings to mind that my TBM daughter was called to the Osaka, Japan mission in about 1991 and I was going to pay for it... But she got married, instead, which didn't cost me a cent.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 12:10PM

And baptisms will still decrease

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 12:41PM

When Mormon (leaders) use/quote numbers ('Facts'), they nearly Always get themselves into trouble;

that's why they're so reluctant to say them in such as activity rates, resignations, & financials.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 04:55PM

It would be great to see the numbers of missionaries returning early from their missions.

I suspect this number has grown since they've called younger, less mature, missionaries to serve.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 05:27PM

Yes it would be great to see the number of early returned missionaries. Having been an ERM myself (years and years ago), and based on what I had to face when I came home early (a whole new type of hell), I have been mulling over making a documentary about ERM's. It would be fun to try to get the church to go on the record with ERM numbers. We'll see.

So far from what I have read/seen, it appears that today around 10% return home early. So of approximately 30,000 missionaries called each year, 3,000 don't last.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 06:32PM

Here's the true challenge. Say they get 100,000 missionaries in the field (they won't, and can't, since they have to have 100,000 available, which they don't), it means nothing unless the baptismal numbers go up. After they put 85,000 in the field (or whateverthehell number it actually was), baptisms went down. That's pretty sorry. To me it is an indication of failure, and it is false logic that more missionaries bring more success. It would, however, provide more brain washing for more kids, and might possibly cause a slightly better retention. I sincerely doubt that, however. More kids will just come home early once a mission ceases to be what they say it is.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:07PM

I see the defacto purpose of a mission to be the retention of the missionary as (1) a tithing source and (2) a source of future missionaries.

Generations of mindless sheep... literally a mental prison. Spiritual bondage.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 09:42PM

The irony is that people already in mental/spiritual bondage are the ones preaching to others about how to enter it.

What a complete waste of time.

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 01:55PM

From June 2013 news release: "As the Church reported in February 2013, 58 new missions were created to accommodate the influx of missionaries, bringing the total number of missions to 405. By year’s end, the Church anticipates having 85,000 missionaries."

At the time there were 70,000; by the 2014 statistical report, there were indeed 85,147.

By the 2015 statistical report it went to 74,079...and by the 2016 statistical report it went to "70,946."

Now, the current church website says "67,049" missionaries.

Now I know the old explanation of a 'bump' when they lowered the age. OK. And the ability to pull in missionaries before they have a chance to go to college or live life as an adult has increased the numbers overall from the 2012 level of 58,990.

BUT OVERALL there ain't a lot of growth with missionary numbers when you factor in the age lowering thing to capture/commit people earlier...and I predict it's going to keep sliding as young adults come to realize what a sham it is.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 02:39PM

I wonder how many dodos he thinks there are out in the world...

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:36PM

A missing nary is someone out on their own
But not out on their own

Doing nothing important or life changing
Not for the better anyway
For them or the would-be followers

Young people - that don't know any better
[or don't know its possible - or think that it doesn't exist, or that it is BAD] - sent random (or not so random) places
To BS [bull smith] people into wasting time, not investigating mormonism, like it should be, thoroughly, like it preaches it deserves.

Leading (other) blind people
Going nowhere fast or important
Trying to save dead people, from themselves, though that's Jesus' job/ calling/ position, and wasting time on the PAST.

WASTING people's time
Lying to people
About nonsense

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:56PM

Infinitive: to bullSmith

I bullSmith
You bullSmith
He, she, it bullSmiths

We bullSmith
You bullSmith
They bullSmith

"No one could bullSmith like Joseph Smith!"
"He was a born bullSmither!"
"That's a bunch of bullSmith!"

Thank you, readwrite-now!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.