Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 11:47AM

Mormons generally to me seem to be waiting for their prophet(s) always waiting for their prophets.

Many religious people are waiting for Jesus or God to do something for them that will enrich and enlighten them. Mormons expect this from an actual person and persons.

Like Vladimir and Estragon Mormons are killing time focused on future happiness, prosperity, blessings instead of finding meaning in their present situation. There is always their work towards glory when their prophet's promised happiness will be but it is always in their future.

"Vladimir and Estragon spend their present finding ways to simply kill the time and focus their attention on the future, neglecting their present. Without paying attention to the present, one will not have sufficient memory of it when it becomes the past. From a spiritual perspective, this seems to say that people who spend their lives working to ensure bliss in the afterlife and to understand the meaning of life should instead focus on what they have before them so that they can make the most of life and not end up wasting it by building themselves up to spiritual expectations which are far less certain than the pleasures immediately obtainable in the physical world."
https://owlcation.com/humanities/Exploring-the-Existential-Philosophy-of-Samuel-Becketts-Waiting-for-Godot

They are waiting always waiting for future blessings and promises. They have an actual person they are waiting upon to refine their spiritual expectations and help them eschew "the pleasures immediately obtainable in the physical world."

I think this is a sad aspect for Mormons. They have an actual person who represents all of their future hopes and dreams and yet they are always waiting on him. They need him because unlike Vladimir and Estragon's Godot, Mormons can "hear" their Godot and he produces things for them to fixate upon in contemplating their future. They can now focus on "ministering" instead of just waiting to report their visiting numbers.

"Without paying attention to the present, one will not have sufficient memory of it when it becomes the past." Their past of number counting won't be important anymore. Their past will not matter. Racism, sexism, abuse, "will not have sufficient memory" as it becomes their past.

Statistics, financial accountability, organizational goals all pale in comparison to waiting on their prophet(s) to guide them. He doesn't say much but unlike Godot he says things. He exists. He doesn't do anything like a prophet of the future but he represents a prophet for their future. He is a prophet for "people who spend their lives working to ensure bliss in the afterlife and to understand the meaning of life" as presented to them by a large and rich corporation headed by a living and breathing Godot.

Their prophet may be an old goat well well into old age but an almost dead man beats a dead Godot any day of a Mormon's week.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 12:30PM

yes, and when One of 'the prophets' says something, no matter how dis-jointed, fans go ga-ga as if that 'prophet' (any of 15 or 16) was personally speaking to ME!

Date: August 15, 2018 01:42PM

So true. Their prophet must be the last bit of life left in Mormonism.

"It’s enough to keep us coming back. More than half a century on, the play still has a gloomy magic. We still hear the lines of universal pain, still feel the tedium of existence. Which brings me to my pet theory, the truest reason why I believe it endures: we return to Godot at least partly to be able to walk out of Godot. It’s very grim, but it’s also finite. Our lives may be too, but we rarely enjoy the end of them. However, Godot ends, and we leave, perhaps moved or changed, but definitely free. We’ve slipped in and out of an apocalypse that feels nearer every day on the play’s coattails.

Putting on the show, or sitting in the audience of a production of it, feels like whistling past a graveyard: we do it because, damn it, we’re alive and we can. What joy."
https://lithub.com/why-we-keep-waiting-for-godot/

If "man" is that he might have joy then leaving Mormonism and its Godotish prophet is one of these.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 02:34PM

I recall as a kid noticing that a lot of the hymns were about how
great things were GOING TO BE in the future. I recall my TBM
father and others whose eyes would glaze over as they talked
about how wonderful it would be in the future when XYZ finally
happened.

Date: August 15, 2018 03:57PM

"onward...ever onward..."

Their Celestial Kingdom is their ultimate payoff.

I can't tell you how many Mormon men have asked me how I could stop believing when to believe is to expect afterlife sex.

I just have a problem with that one and I've been hit up with it many times.

I'm like, well, that sounds nice, but I don't believe in God. And then we spiral down to the "nothing" after death conversation.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 04:34PM

And then Pozzo shows up, bloviating and beating his slave Lucky, and Vladimir and Estragon mistake him for Godot.

For those unfamiliar with the play, I think Jeffery "I am furious" Holland would be a good choice for Pozzo, and pretty much any doubt-your-doubts-toilet-cleaning-on-Saturday TBM could be Lucky.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 07:17PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 15, 2018 08:11PM

Just don't hold your breath while waiting for one of those prophets to have a 'thus saith the Lord' revelation. You wouldn't look good with a blue face.

Date: August 16, 2018 11:20AM

That was the whole point of this thread.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.