Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:21AM

So sad....never gonna be another Queen of Soul. RIP

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:22AM

I really liked her version of Respect she sang in the Blues Brothers, as a waitress with attitude.

She rocked!

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 10:05AM

That was "Think" .

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:33AM

from her memorial service.

So sad to see the legends that many of us grew up with pass away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 12:25PM by cricket.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:11AM

in b 4 ~ RIP in peace ~

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:15AM

Wonder if Gladys Knight will be her proxy in the temple?

No R.E.S.P.E.C.T. for the dead.

Date: August 16, 2018 11:24AM

Interesting bio read on Yahoo:

"In 2010, Franklin’s commanding mezzo-soprano voice earned her the No. 1 spot on Rolling Stone’s list of the “100 Greatest Singers of All Time.” Contributing to that issue, admirer Mary J. Blige wrote, “You know a force from heaven. You know something that God made. And Aretha is a gift from God. When it comes to expressing yourself through song, there is no one who can touch her. She is the reason why women want to sing. Aretha has everything — the power, the technique. She is honest with everything she says.”

Franklin was born in Memphis on March 25, 1942. Her family moved to Detroit when she was 5 years old, and her mother, Barbara, died shortly before Franklin’s 10th birthday. Her father, Clarence LaVaughn “C. L.” Franklin, was a famous preacher at Detroit’s New Bethel Baptist Church, and his home was subsequently frequented by celebrity guests like Martin Luther King Jr., Jackie Wilson, Sam Cooke, and Mahalia Jackson, the latter of whom pitched in helping to raise Aretha and her siblings after Barbara’s death. It was around that time that a young Franklin began singing solos at New Bethel.

Franklin was a mother of two by the time she was 14 years old, giving birth to her first son, Clarence, when she was 12, and welcoming a second son, Edward, two years later. (She gave birth to two other sons, Teddy Richards and Kecalf Cunningham, in 1964 and 1970.) However, young motherhood did not stop Franklin from launching her professional career as a gospel singer at age 14. Managed by her father and signed to J.V.B. Records, she released her first album, Songs of Faith, in 1956. When she turned 18, she shifted to secular music, recording for Columbia Records and charting a few singles on the R&B and pop charts, but major mainstream success mostly eluded her.

It was only after Franklin signed to Atlantic Records in 1967 that she had her big breakthrough. In February of that year, Atlantic released “I Never Loved a Man (The Way I Love You),” recorded at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Ala.; the song became her first top 10 Billboard hit. Two months later, she followed up with her famous cover of Otis Redding’s “Respect,” which went to No. 1 on both the R&B and pop charts. Her first album for Atlantic, I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You, soon went gold."

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/aretha-franklin-queen-soul-greatest-singer-time-dies-76-140021145.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 11:52AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:34AM

I could easily have gone the rest of my life without knowing that Aretha Franklin had babies at ages 12 and 14...

Yes, I suppose knowledge is power, but I'm just a poor shoe-shine boy from Nacozari, Sonora, trying to get by best as I can.

Date: August 16, 2018 11:39AM

To me it makes her more human, and adds to her life story. Which in turn gave her the heart and soul she had to sing from.

Her daddy was a preacher man. That didn't hurt her either.

She was the Queen of Soul for a reason.

Loretta Lynn had babies that young as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 11:53AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 12:39PM

In your mind, what does it mean to be made "more human"?

Are some of us born "less human" in your eyes?

Is becoming "more human" something we should all seek out, or us merely being "human" an okay thing?

I never knew about Ms. Franklin having babies at ages 12 and 14 and I simply can't imagine that she or we are 'better off' because of it.

Date: August 16, 2018 01:39PM

It's a part of her life story whether you like it or not.

She is not an object for you to objectify.

She is a human being with a history.

Some people like knowing about the people they mourn in passing, including celebrities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 03:30PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:49AM

She will be missed. Her music made my drive from Las Vegas to SLC go lots faster on more than one occasion.

And without getting too lengthy, here's her performance of "You Make me Feel like a Natural Woman" from the Kennedy Center Honors 2015, when Carole King was being honored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsnZT7Z2yQ

Just watch the audience reaction.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 12:00PM

her voice + presence won't be duplicated for a long, long time...
She will be remembered by Millions for many years.

'sad' about those early births; but what's become of those children & her 'baby daddy'?

Date: August 16, 2018 12:15PM

I don't know. But if she'd been raised a Mormon they'd have been taken away from her by LDSSS. The Mormon Gestapo for unwed mothers.

Nor would her daddy have been a preacher man in the Mormon hierarchy. He'd have been denied the priesthood. They wouldn't have hobnobbed in the social circles she grew up in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 12:17PM by Amyjo.

Date: August 16, 2018 03:29PM

She once said if she could inspire people, she's done her job.

She was also a mother, grandmother, and a dear friend.

Respect was originally written by Otis Redding as a song sung by men for their women. She flipped it over to become part of the civil rights movement.

Cause of death has been given as pancreatic cancer.

May she R.I.P.

Elton John shared this on Twitter:

"The loss of @ArethaFranklin is a blow for everybody who loves real music: Music from the heart, the soul and the Church. Her voice was unique, her piano playing underrated – she was one of my favourite pianists."

He and she shared the same birthday - which he said meant a lot to him.

Date: August 16, 2018 07:26PM

So the "Queen of Soul" and the "King of Rock and Roll" died 41 years apart, to the day.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 01:08AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.