Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sillyrabbit ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 12:39PM

If you paid tithing before you left, what did you do with that money after you left? Did you:

1. Continue setting 10% aside for something deliberate, like:
a. Investing
b. Saving
c. Entertainment
d. Fun / Large Purchases
e. Something else

or

2. Just enjoy having an extra 10% of take home money and not focus too much on what to do with it?

Was your economic situation significantly different once you stopped paying tithing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 01:11PM

I put 10% of what I earned into my savings account. Once I.get a very healthy amount of money into.that account, I'll look into investing it, or starting a savings bond.
I'll admit, ever time I transfer money into my savings account, I keep thinking that if I had put the same amount of money in my savings that I had put in tithes and offerings over the eleven years that I was an active member, I'd have one hell of a healthy savings account and I would be able to fly myself to Europe and then go on a nice European Cruise. Damn! Well, at least I'm doing it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 01:15PM by severedpuppetstrings.

Posted by: Sillyrabbit ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 07:02PM

Nicely done!

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 12:13AM

I put it all towards my mortgage. When the house was paid off I bought my wife a new Volvo suv. I got what I wanted and she got what she wanted... and the TSCC got nothing.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 04:44AM

That's awesome.

Tithing for most middle class americans equals roughly the amount of an SUV payment each month.

Most mormons don't count it as debt. They don't even see it as a choice, but its surely and deliberately weakening their fiscal health. If not now, than in retirement.

The church doesn't need their money. They could likely run on past tithing and current investments for several decades, perhaps forever.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 12:32PM

I split my 10% “raise” between retirement savings (I’m now retired) and charities that actually do good (the Red Cross, a local food bank, a local pet shelter, etc.)

Posted by: Mollienomore ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 01:11PM

We changed our 401k contribution to 10%. It makes me sick to think of how much was wasted on TSCC. That was an expensive lesson! We still contribute to our church- we love the 100% transparent financials there!

Posted by: motherkate ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:03PM

I guess I never really thought about where I was redirecting my 10% after I stopped paying. Leaving TSCC coincided with moving in with my future husband and starting a joint bank account and jointly budgeting our money. We’ve always put about 10% away in savings of one type or another and we’ve also tried to donate regularly to legitimate charity organizations, now that we have joined a new church we also put money in the collection plate once a month (and I’m always impressed when I see the church’s financial ledger printed in the newsletter every week, full disclosure). I suppose that’s as close as I can get to saying that’s where my tithing and fast offering money has gone for the last ten years since I stopped giving it to the Mormons.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:44PM

While I never actually set 10% aside for savings, the savings from not paying TSCC a tithe increased my earnings accordingly.

Raising children on a single parent's salary (middle class,) left no wiggle room for much of a savings plan. Yet I was able to get by with a government savings plan that put it away for me so I didn't notice it was gone.

And that has been my saving grace.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:30PM

Used it to pay off debts from paying tithing.

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:30PM

We paid our mortgage off in 16 years vs 30 years. Yeah!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:37AM

And it's not like any mormon wants to say, "Well, if you'd continued to pay your tithing, ghawd would have blessed you and you'd have spent 30 years paying off your mortgage!"

Posted by: oregon ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 06:46PM

I am maximizing my 401K now. Before I hardly was able to contribute. My parents died broke, but full tithe payers and this lead to major hardship in our family with bills and over 100K in deferred taxes. Tithe is a scam

Posted by: turdfondue ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 07:11PM

I left before I got a big boy job so the TSCC only Connex me out of my HS Taco Bell wages.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.