Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 02:44PM

The current Sole of their corporation preached this back in '89.

"Dissecting doctrine in a controversial way in order to draw attention to oneself is not pleasing to the Lord. He declared:
“Bring to light the true points of my doctrine, yea, and the only doctrine which is in me.
“And this I do that I may establish my gospel, that there may not be so much contention; yea, Satan doth stir up the hearts of the people to contention concerning the points of my doctrine; and in these things they do err, for they do wrest the scriptures and do not understand them.” (D&C 10:62–63.)"
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/04/the-canker-of-contention?lang=eng

And it made me wonder about what doctrinally was very contentious in LDS Corp in the last little while. Then it dawned on me that they "dissected" doctrine to exclude the children of gay marriages.

"With same-sex marriage now legal in the United States and some other nations, the Church felt the need specifically to address such marriages in the Handbook to draw a firm line and encourage consistency among local leaders. In particular, Church leaders are concerned for children–whether biologically born to one of the partners, adopted or medically conceived. In reality, very few same-sex couples would bring children for the formal Church ordinance of naming and blessing, since this creates a formal membership record. But Church leaders want to avoid putting little children in a potential tug-of-war between same-sex couples at home and teachings and activities at church."

"The vast majority of Church members understand that there has been no doctrinal change with regard to LGBT issues.  Church doctrine is consistent with the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. There is a strong tendency today for many to talk of Jesus Christ as if His teachings on love were somehow inconsistent with his teachings on divine commandments. Of course the Savior’s love was never withheld from anyone and His words on the cross exemplify that. But, He also expressed love by teaching clear doctrine and standing firmly against sin with sometimes-tough lessons for which people rejected Him. That is where Church leaders stand today – holding firm to the doctrinal position of right and wrong, while extending love to all people. Church members who believe in modern prophets and apostles understand and appreciate the intent of their leaders to guide the Church through the complexities of diverse societies and rapidly changing social circumstances."
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/commentary-understanding-the-handbook

I don't think Mr. Nelson has endorsed being consistent with the "life and teachings of Jesus Christ" in excluding their "saving" ordinances from children regardless of parentage.

Personally I think baptizing children isn't consistent with Jesus but since they do, excluding some children and not others is a further dissection of their doctrine of baptism.

Also, I have no idea why they did it? Spite? Draw attention to their contention with gay marriage?

Regardless I believe what they did was "dissecting doctrine in a controversial way in order to draw attention."

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.