Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 04:01PM

Amyjo's thread on the widespread abuse by Catholic priests in Pennsylvania is here:

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2144096,2144096#msg-2144096

News just out that the Vatican has released a statement calling the abuse criminal and reprehensible, NOT sins and omissions as in the past.

I couldn't find a link immediately to post the entire statement or significant portions.

I'd like to see if the "criminal" and "reprehensible" labels are applied not only to the pedophile priests but to the leaders who covered it all up.

I heard one of the abuse survivors say yesterday that if a priest embezzles from the Catholic Church they go to jail. If they raped a child they got transferred - "to a whole new flock of kids".

Gives you shivers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 05:00PM

Is the grand jury report in full available to read?
I know that the time period covers 70 years. I am wondering how much has been done since the Boston scandal that broke around 2002?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 08:34PM

Maybe not so surprisingly, although the trust has been broken in their leaders, their faith is not shaken.

"HARRISBURG, Pa. — Their trust in the church may be damaged but their faith in God and Catholic teachings remain unshaken.

That was the sense from many on Friday as more than 100 congregants of the Diocese of Harrisburg, local clergy and a smattering of nuns gathered at St. Patrick’s Cathedral for a noon mass that had been transformed into an extended plea for forgiveness. The service was held in response to a grand jury report released Tuesday detailing decades of extensive and appalling sexual abuse committed by members of the clergy against children.

“Now do I think what the priests did was horrific? Yes, I do," said Harrisburg resident Antonia Stepanic, 74, as she walked to her car. "Do I think the hierarchy covering it up was wrong? Yes, I do. Did it shake my faith? No, it did not. Not one iota. I still have faith in God. I still have faith in Catholicism.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amid-pennsylvania-catholic-church-abuse-scandal-trust-broken-faith-unshaken-n901716

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.