Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 04:56PM

the knights who formally said ni.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 05:01PM

The nits than formally bowed their heads and said yes.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 05:45PM

Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boingmons.

Date: August 16, 2018 05:45PM

And I need some temple shrubbery.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:04AM

Not an expensive one, just a nice one with a path down the middle...

Date: August 17, 2018 11:46AM

LOL! and an iron (rod) rail....

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 04:07AM

And anyone who uses the cursed word of Mormon must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with. . . a herring!

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 05:47PM

...yeah. What's with this? More BS "Newsroom style guide?". Apparently, they are no longer willing to even acknowledge the word "Mormon". So what's it gonna' be?..."Book of Zelph?" "Book of Cochranite?" Well, they changed their name a half dozen times already...maybe this will give them an opportunity to change it up like the RLDS did.

"Additional information about this important matter will be made available in the coming months.

(What?...is there something we really need to know to decipher this "important matter.")

"See the updated Newsroom style guide, which provides direction on how to properly refer to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

...I'm sick of the "Newsroom press releases." Every time they use their media relations to spin something, it usually backfires.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900028401/the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints-issues-new-name-guidelines-dropping-term-mormon-in-most-uses.html

Date: August 16, 2018 06:02PM

They tried to copyright a word. They are going to try everything possible to control their image. Even crazy things like copyrighting the word "Mormon" and suing a member for using it in his Mormon version of match.com

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 07:08AM

I think the BoM musical finally got under their craw. It’s not fun to be a laughing stock. But who knows, maybe using the full name will make their so-called religion not a joke.

Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Mormon at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this period in history

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 05:50PM

The problem is, nobody knows who the Church of Jesus whatever, whatever is.

They do have some idea who Mormons are. Mitt and Utah.

So good luck with the divinely mandated branding change.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 05:59PM

...oh wait. Church leadership was only responding to all the wonderful free press the Catholic Church has been getting this week, and felt slighted.

"Hey what about us? We're relevant too!! Look...we'll even change our name!!"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 06:10PM

Oh, my, Russ Nelson added the Mormonese "even" to the name! He has turned sanctimony up to 11.

"The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with his will."

My theory is this is part of a very long term strategy to back away from the BoM because it is embarrassingly racist. It will take decades, perhaps generations to fully implement. They are good at taking the long view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2018 06:13PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 04:38PM

Nobody normal speaks like that. It's how you know he's a prophet ;-)

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 06:29PM

They tried this several years ago. It didn't work. I guess they are no longer proud to be Mormons.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 07:24PM

donbagley Wrote:

> the knights who formally said ni.

Don... those lovely blokes called themselves "the knights who FORMERLY said ni".

Niggling, I know, but this stuff gets archived and should thus
go down as acurate Pythonese.

Date: August 16, 2018 08:36PM

If you wanna be a stickler, it was actually Arthur who said, "knights who until recently said ni."

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 07:51PM

Is it just me or do these sound a bit cumbersome? even:

~The world famous The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Tabernacle Choir

~The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.org

~Meet The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints members

~The historic The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints pioneer trail

But by dang, when the prophet speaks the thinking has been done!

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:16PM

And that is why it didn't work when they tried this back in the 90s. But I thought they were "proud to be a Mormon boy".

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 06:25AM

How the heck are they going to cram in the name COJCOLDS in there?

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:43PM

It'll-never-stick-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:09PM

Perfect....that should get Russ Baby riled up.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:42PM

Naughty

Posted by: ellenbee ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:46PM

Ok. From now on, I will call the church "That Utah Cult" or just plain "TUC". Easy to say and write.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:36PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 08:46PM

So now using the word "Mormon" or "LDS" is going to aggravate them? Get under their skin? Even rile them up? Oh this is good. Thank you, Russ and Wendy. You Mormons, you!

I'm going to double this up now and call them "LDS Mormons."

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 01:06PM

Now that's just being mean!
:-)

Date: August 17, 2018 02:05PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going to double this up now and call them "LDS
> Mormons."

I don't think it is doubling since FLDS and formerly called RLDS are both known as Mormons as well.

Posted by: lostmypasword ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 09:11PM

Has there been another infestation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints crickets?

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:19PM

Little Sally; "Mom! Johnny said a bad word. He said Mormon!"

Mom; "Johnny, do you want your mouth washed out with soap?"

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:34PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:05PM

Did you see the comments to Bagley's cartoon? One said they are moving away from the BoM. Maybe they will start calling Moroni "Larry"...to which another poster replied, "or Moe or Curly" HA!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 10:51PM

So instead of a “I am a Mormon” campaign, it will me “I am a restored Church of Christer”? We can just refer to ourselves as ex-RCOJCers. Gotta love the important things gawdalmighty chooses to impress upon the mind of his holy profit. Nuttin more important in these days of rampant poverty, hunger, homelessness, disease and idiocracy than the name of his one true cult.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:10PM

EX-communicate them ALL

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:26PM

Reg: Posted by: badam2: Re: From now on, Mormons will be called new Naughty:

Cant' be! They are "nice", not "naughty

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 16, 2018 11:43PM

Date: August 17, 2018 11:50AM

The Church of Jesus Nice of Mustn't Say Mormons.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 04:40PM

Posted by: KesslerTheNevermo ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 01:59PM

I remember the "...and I'm a Mormon" advertising campaign of about 6-8 years ago (there was a billboard near my workplace). And, I remember the last "don't call us Mormons, call us CoJCoLDS" directive a couple years before that.

Just from a branding perspective, constantly going back and forth on what you want to be called defeats the purpose. It confuses the public, and suggests that your organization can't make up your mind what it wants to be.

What's wrong with the word "Mormon" anyway? It doesn't have any negative connotations I'm aware of, beyond those that would be associated with the church under any name.

Posted by: Roma ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:06PM

Yeah - what the heck are Mormons as a CULTURE (not a church) supposed to call themselves? The COJCOLDS? Huh. That could be a name. How about we tell them we're now going to call them the "Cojcolds" because we don't want to pronounce an 11-syllable name every time we refer to them? Cold does kind of fit how they behave towards others, particularly their leadership.

Posted by: Quu ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:00PM

The mormon.org, Mormon Tabernacle, and all the other various names have to change I guess.

This is the sort of thing that will cause days of busywork for office staff having to comb through a lot of documents not to mention books and website software to change various names containing Mormon.

I'll bet there's lots of Church Office building workers who are quietly mumbling to themselves in discontent about the stupidity of this, even if they don't dare to mention it out loud to each other.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:45PM

It's funny that they think anyone outside of their bubble is going to notice their new style guide. Or care.

"Hey, Jeff, you're a Mormon, right?"
"WHA...UGH!!! NO! I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! Didn't you read the prophet's style guide?"
"...there's a prophet?"
"WE aren't Mormons. YOU'RE a Mormon. WE'RE the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That or, the Church of Jesus Christ, or The Church, if you're not into the whole brevity thing...'
"...so...you have a prophet...and he made a style guide?"

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:48PM

Also, mark my words: THIS is how they are going to claim discrimination from now on. They are going to try to equate someone using the term "Mormon" as being as offensive to them as someone using the incorrect pronouns to a transgender person.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 02:51PM

Cultists

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:16PM

A REVELATION!!! Praise the lord baby jesus!!! :-/

Posted by: Anon for this ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:15PM

PRESS NOTE:

Having followed the example of the singer Prince, the church desires to be called --

"The church formerly know as Mormons"

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:30PM

This is all about thumbing their nose at the Evangelicals who claim Mormons are not Christians. Oh boy. Here we go. It never ends. My God is better than your God. Same game, same name.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 02:20AM

Ok, after reading the article, and sifting through the Mormon garbage and smoke-and-mirrors shell games, I finally know where this is headed. And, yes, all will be revealed at a future date, because it's a bigger glob of meat than humans can digest:

Wendy and Russ want it to be called "The Only True Church!"

The rest of the head corporate office geezers think this is too obvious, and too much, all at once. They are letting their unmitigated arrogance become too obvious, and will tone it down a bit.

Gradually, gradually, like boiling water around the frogs:

Step A) The Full Name. Oh, too wordy? They know it is, so the minions will be happy to cut it down a bit.

Setp B) "The Restored Church of Jesus Christ" This was NOT "the restoration." What a hoax.

Step C) "The Church of Jesus Christ." If they reach this step, they will have achieved their purpose. Just saying those words is blasphemy. This deeply offends me, as a Bible Christian! The Mormon Cult is NOT the church of Jesus Christ.

Step D) "THE CHURCH" World domination! Not just Christian domination. This is The Only Church! The church, and all other churches are not. Only the Mormons have The Church, and the rest of the religions of the world are chopped liver.

Question: What religion are you?
Answer: I'm a member of THE CHURCH.
Question: Do you know you're an arrogant snob?

Date: August 18, 2018 03:01AM

Ha ha ha! That is right to the point. One doctrine I've never seen changed is the only true church doctrine. If they deny it, they lie. They all practice it.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 06:57AM

If you insist on being a "Mormon," your kids can't get baptized.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:58PM

...unless they renounce you!!

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 12:48AM

Date: August 19, 2018 01:00AM

Ha ha, it could be so.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 06:09AM

They shall say “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints” again to you, unless you appease them!

Date: August 19, 2018 02:31PM

Ha ha ha!

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 02:24PM

How about...

The previously polygamist, previously racist, still presently racist, the made up Book of M@#$*n believing, hieing to kolob cult, that is also a corporation of many business assets, where the leaders do not disclose their riches, and stop you from attending your own child's weddings... religious movement

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 02:28PM

The Church Ashamed of their Mormon Heritage.

The New Christian Mainstream Church Not Related to Mormon Fundamentalists.

Posted by: ellenbee ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 03:29PM

I've got another idea…
How about the Church of Smith?
Smithians
The Smithian Tabernacle Choir
Latter-Day Smithians (see, then they can still use LDS)
The Book of Smithian
The historic Smithian pioneer trail.
If the true believers object to the church being named after an earthly religious leader, just point them to the Lutherans and say, already been done - it's cool!
At least, this would make them more honest regarding from whom they actually derive their scriptural teachings.
"I'm a surfer, and a college student studying for my Master's Degree, and a Californian. I'm also….a Smithian!"
"A What??"
"A Smithian."
"Ah. That's a great college. Wanna beer?"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.