Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:31PM

Do not call us Mormons or LDS Church, leaders of faith ask

https://www.yahoo.com/news/not-call-us-mormons-lds-church-leaders-faith-020450662.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:38PM

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:44PM

The next thing they are going to do is call themselves "Christ's Saints Church." Hits all the buttons.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:39PM

Good suggestion. But they say for short just call us "The Church". Yeah. Not gonna happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 05:03PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 12:34AM

The Church refers to the Catholic Church. Has for about 2000 years or so.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 12:06PM

Right. And whilst Mormons can usurp many things, they cannot usurp the use of "the Church" to mean Mormons.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 22, 2018 03:42PM

sunnynomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Church refers to the Catholic Church. Has for
> about 2000 years or so.

For catholics, yes. Others, not so much :)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:45PM

So, why do they have a website Mormon dot org, and why did they have a media promotion called “I’m a Mormon”?

Posted by: Plaid n Paisley ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:52PM

Maybe they are planning on changing the campaign to "I am Not a Mormon" - which might be more successful. ;-)

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:01PM

I'd join in.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:06PM

CNN news article asks that question. What about the LDS tag on their sites, hospital, school they ask. Not thought through?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 05:07PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 03:47PM

I'll just keep referring to them as "The Cult"

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:47PM

...just like in the food industry, products are often rebranded (repackaged) to attract the next generation consumer. Apparently, over at the LDS Puzzle House, management is thinking the "old ways" are no longer viable (profitable).

"Gotta' change it up, yo!"

...so, like Doritos and Pringles, the fast-food called religion also require makeovers.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:49PM

I'm ahead of the curve on this! I stopped calling myself a Mormon several years ago.

Posted by: Anon13 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 04:58PM

aka "the M word" should not be used.

So the profit, sneezer, and reviler, President Nelson got a revelation...hmmn..AND he used the holy word "even." I am impressed. You go guy.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:02PM

Nothing new. It's been on the official list of names for years. This is really just for reporters and journalist reports. They want the whole name of their church used.

So... is MOTAB still the Mormon Tabernacle Choir? You bet it is.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:11PM

Mormon = The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Mormonism = The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saintsism

The Book of Mormon = The Book of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

I'm a Mormon = I'm a The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

The word "Mormon" appears 301 times in The Book of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. That's going to be a lot of editing to replace it with "The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints".

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 05:46PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheka#History

First it was the VChK -- the Cheka.

Then it was the OGPU.

Then it was the NKVD.

Then it was the MGB.

Then it was the KGB.

Now it's the FSB.

It makes no difference what its name is.

It's always been repressive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 05:47PM by anybody.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:11PM

This is what happens when the generiatric ward is running a large church.
They cannot grasp the rammifications of trying to drop the use of the words: Mormon or LDS.
They don't seem to have the ability to understand how impossible it is to make that kind of a change.
The only thing it will do is continue to get journalists to use the Newsroom Style Guide for them.
That's it, folks. That's all she wrote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2018 06:11PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:29PM

You guys are hilarious! My husband and I are laughing so hard right now! Love your comment especially, Anon13! But seriously, folks, "A rose by any other name"...would stink just as much!

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:30PM

Maybe Eric will rename this site and call it "Recovery from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" and its Internet address will become exChurchofJesusChrist.org.

Also, I think it's interesting that one of the approved titles is "The Church of Jesus Christ." If that title is believed to apply exclusively to the LDS Church, it seems like it could be a way of trying to reinforce the idea that no other church but the LDS Church is the true church of Jesus Christ.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 06:40PM

There was a lengthy article on this on Huffington Post a couple of days ago. Sorry, I don't have a link.

Posted by: jcnotloggedin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 07:53PM

I don't know where to post this, nor do I want to start a new thread. So here it goes...

What will happen to all those "Mormon Helping Hands" T-shirts that the youth are practically forced to wear when doing community service projects, especially in non-LDS (oops I said it) communities? If they change the T-shirts to the full name of the church then no one will be able to read them as they drive by in their cars.

Stupid Nelson. Another big zero Mr. Profit.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 08:10PM

You're wrong. According to Nelson's "inspired" quote, it's supposed to be called "Even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints"

And people are are supposed to SHOUT out the words in caps:
The Church of JESUS CHRIST!! of Latter Day Saints.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 08:21PM

When I was at BYU, we weren't supposed to say "LDS." We were instructed to say, when someone asked us, "Are you LDS?" Yes, we are MORMONS." When someone would ask me and my friends, we would stammer, "Um, we're LD--I mean, um, Mormons."

Other students would tease us, and say, "You don't even know what church you belong to."

Now, Mormons are being instructed to not use the word that we were told to use 30 years ago.

This offends me! The arrogance! The cult wants to dictate to everyone, and force them to use the complete, wordy name, in order to honor and revere their hoax cult! It's like someone in your community group saying, "You are to call me only by my full name, Benjamin Leopold Strang Johansen, Esquire." You can imagine how well received that would be.

I refuse--refuse--to call anyone "bishop" or "president" or any of those titles that mean NOTHING in the real world. I also refuse to write them with Capital Letters, like it's a real title.

Mormon megalomaniacs throwing their weight around.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:40AM

Hear! Hear!

If they want to change a name, how about they get that vile racist Brigham Young's name off their precious university?

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 08:14PM

I follow on Facebook a couple of local estate sales companies and every couple of weeks make a quick stop at one of them. One of the companies is posting for next weekend one with this description--

The deceased is "a retired kindergarten teacher with an entire room of children’s books! Hundreds and hundreds. Also tons of vintage toys, games, holiday decor, food storage, Latter Day Saint literature and collectibles."

Lots of these auctions, esp in Utah, have lots of LDS stuff. I wonder if they expect all retailers to change their descriptions now.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 08:42PM

It's ironic that this was published through Mormon Newsroom, and that they haven't said if they're changing the name of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 08:58PM

Hmm....ministering and now this long name change command.

Me thinks the cult is trying to formulate a new image, and I do believe I have a few suggestions, which are:

1. How about a new image of honesty as it seems it is very needed in your so-called church. So a candidate for a new name would be: Lying No More, Truth Restored Church

2. How about a new image of inclusion of all people: The Church of True-honest-to-goodness Equality For All.

3. Or, The Church that Helps and Includes All People

Posted by: Evergreennotloggedin ( )
Date: August 17, 2018 11:26PM

This entire post is why I keep coming back to RFM. I "recovered" several years ago, but you guys still make me laugh.

Date: August 19, 2018 10:38PM

Prince had a symbol as his official name for a while.

How about this symbol for TSCC?

$

Says it all doesn't it?

Posted by: JoeSmithhere ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 12:42AM

On top of it all Nelson got the name Wrong. The original D&C does not hyphenate and "D" in day is capitalized.

So - Jesus screwed up the English when he was revealing the name to Joe?

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:02AM

We are morons and we aren't a church!

The 'church' of Joseph Smith of Ladder Day Snakes

They are mad as Jesus and He is MAD at them!

They don't talk. He excommunicated them.

Same with God. Damn!

Nobody likes the mormons [Not even the mormons]
No they don't; Nobody doesn't like them
And they don't like nobody, including themselves

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:28AM

I'll call you what - and if - I want, morons.

M@t

Date: October 11, 2018 07:21PM

The book should have been titled 'the book of [callings and commandments by] Joseph Sneaks of laughter Day Smiths'

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:43AM

They stayed true to the original tenets of the mormon church. It's the mainstream church which splintered off and gave up on many of Joe Smith's revelations and directives.

Fundamentalist mormon polygamists use the same sacrament prayers, have the same symbols on their garments, sing the same hymns, use the same terminology, worship the same early prophets, read the same holy books, and sometimes attend and take callings within the same mainstream ward houses. They are every bit as the official mormon arrogant SLC church bosses.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:33AM

Peggy Fletcher Stack (Will Bagley calls her "Stretcher Fact") is doing her usual "yes woman" shill-act for LDS, Inc.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/08/17/getting-members-media/

The comments section is already full; I'll wait for Kirby to give the Outer Darkness interpretation...

>In the end, it may not matter to Nelson whether media or members adopt his preferred style immediately, or how much money it costs, or how long it takes.

>The church prophet said God told him to do it, and so he did.

So tell me Doc Prophet®, how do you tell the difference between a revelation and the "voices in your head"?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:43AM

Proposed church name: Jesus Christ, Them Again.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:46AM

Ain't gonna happen Nelson baby!

It would be like Cheerios trying to rename itself The Whole Grain Oat Round Cereal. Good luck with that.

Posted by: Zion Travels ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:23PM

LDS The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. O.k. I grew up in Utah. Here is my recommend. Because I know it's true.

The Church of Child Molestation, Multi Level Marketing, Financial Rip Off Artists, And Dirty Dirty Police. Or TCOCMMLMFROAADDC.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:31PM

The Church of Multi Level Marketing, Latter-Day Opioid Addicts and Big Pharma

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2018 01:33PM by doyle18.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 01:32PM

Stick it Russ. You're a bunch of Mormons.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:20PM

I was born and grew up in Santa Fe, NM.

The "official" name is:

La Villa Real de la Santa Fe de San Francisco de Asís

("The Royal Town of the Holy Faith of Saint Francis of Assisi"

Next time the missionaries come by and they say "We from the Church of Jesus Christ of later day saints", I'll say "Oh, the Mormons".

I'll assume they'll correct me and then I'll drop the Santa Fe bit and see how they react.

Posted by: lostmypasword ( )
Date: August 20, 2018 07:39PM

Original name of Los Angeles is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula" ("town of our lady the Queen of Angels of the River Porciúncula").

When I was a kid and lived there (mid 1950's) I listened to City Council meetings on radio as a school assignment. They would open the council meetings with the full name. I found it amusing.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:26PM

I wonder if the impression from the Lord came about during an intimate moment with Wendy and he called her by his first wife's name, Dantzel. Oops. Gotta get the name right. That's it! My signature revelation will be the Name of the Church.

Posted by: Historian ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 03:53PM

www.exmormons.org --> www.exTheChurchOfJesusChristOfLatterDaySatings.org

Gad - I remember recently the "I am a Mormon campaign."

Guess they need to keep changing the story...

Meanwhile - my sibling has taken a trip to the holy land in Independence, Missouri. I think it's time to throw up.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 04:43PM

Maybe they should just officially adopt the (RfM-invented?) COJCOLDS and be done with it.

It makes about as much sense

Posted by: turdfondue ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 07:33PM

The stupidity of the mo is mind blowing. If nothing else, it is entertaining.

Posted by: sbj ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:31PM

What will they call the "Mormon Tabernacle Choir"??

Date: August 18, 2018 09:45PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 09:42PM

The Church (or Cult) Formerly Known As Mormon

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 10:17PM

That book. What to call that book now?

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: August 18, 2018 11:06PM

Doc Profit rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. This is the third, maybe fourth, time they've tried it in my lifetime. As has already been said, good luck with that.

Date: August 19, 2018 12:24AM

The People Who Follow the Fake Mania Known as The 'Church' of Joseph Smith and The Book of Mormon People Who Worship The Man Who Profits and CONtrols Their CULTure, even TMC [The Mormon 'Church'], and Who Uses the Name of Jesus Christ in "Our" [LDS] image, signage, and in our prayers, even to the point of lust, ignorance and idolatry [I Dollah' (tree) Try]

M@t

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: August 19, 2018 09:07AM

I think this was tried back in the late sixties and early seventies. We were to refer to ourselves as Latter-day Saints.
Obviously it didn't work.
People have at least heard the word Mormon and connect it with a church.

Date: August 20, 2018 04:51PM

Book of Alma?

Book of Nephi?

Book of the one true church?

Book of Joe Smith?

Book of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints?

Date: August 21, 2018 08:15PM

Book of Fiction

Date: August 22, 2018 12:19PM

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 01:01AM

God needs to "suggest" to Nelson's mind either a better name or a shorter name. Wendy might suggest: "The One and Only, Genuine, Original, Family Centered, Perfect Church of Jesus Christ" (Disney inspired).

Going with the shorter option: "Church of the Deluded"

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2018 08:35PM

Hey, if I can't be a mormon, maybe it's time to quit!

Nah, I'll just keep insisting that as a mormon, I'm a mormon!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.