Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 08:33PM

I never voted for him, but always had respect for him. He will be missed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 08:38PM

I didn't know he was that sick? I didn't vote for him and Sarah
Palin either. I just never got into the Tea Party thing. I guess having garbage service is just one of those things I'll gladly pay for in taxes.

Date: August 25, 2018 08:43PM

He wasnt Tea Party although Palin is. McCain was famous for reaching across the aisle and stood up to the Republicans and cast the deciding vote which saved health care.He was also a good friend to Sen. Kennedy who was extremely liberal. He was a decent guy although I often disagreed with his views.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2018 11:51PM by bona dea.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 08:52PM

bona dea Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> McCain was
> famous for reaching across the aisle and stood up
> to the Republicans and cast the deciding vote
> which saved health care.He was also a good friend
> to Sen. Kennedy who was extremwly liberal. He was
> a decentbguy although I often disagreed with his
> views.

^^^^this.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 11:56PM

That type of brain cancer is the worse.

My brother lived 14 months after it was first diagnosed. The surgeon that operated on him said it the last cancer he would choose if he had to get a cancer.

Ted Kennedy and John McCain lived a little over a year after diagnosis.

My brother died in 2001, so there hasn't been any progress on extending one's life with this cancer in the last 15-20 years.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 12:22AM

Not officially anyway.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 12:23AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 09:38PM

He was one of the good guys. May he R.I.P.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 09:39PM

One memory that I have spoke to his decency., I recall during his run for president in a televised debate someone in the audience making a personal attack on Obama, only for McCain to call them on it and stand up for the integrity of his opponent even if they did not agree on politics.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 09:52PM

John McCain wasn't afraid to Swim Upstream.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 08:15AM

Right. I loved John McCain and was pulling for him big time in 2000. Barring him pulling a Palin thing that year I’m pretty sure I would have voted for him over Gore. Instead, Gore turned out to be my first Democratic presidential pick. In 08 I batted McCain around in my head before he made his VP pick, but Obama was my guy and the Palin thing would have kicked anyone out of the running for me. But I respected him personally.

His finest moment to me was during the debate about torture and Cheney was pushing his (false) claim that we got such good intel from it that it saved thousands of other lives and was worth it. McCain made one statement, “We. Don’t. Torture. People.” I remember crying thinking of what he went through and his resolve that no human being was deserving of that.

It’s been so nice to have the news cycle focused on a politician who deserved respect and was a really decent human being when it’s usually about the one who fits neither of those bills. But I hate that this is the reason. RIP Senator McCain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 08:22AM by NormaRae.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 25, 2018 09:58PM

Date: August 25, 2018 10:33PM

Someone just pointed out that his friend, Ted Kennedy died nine years ago today of the exact same cancer.

Posted by: Maude ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 12:03AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2018 01:47AM by Maude.

Posted by: motherkate ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 12:07AM

I didn’t vote for him either but I also had tremendous respect and admiration for him. Sarah Palin spoiled that ticket IMO and I couldn’t vote for him with her on it. He’s a very good man and I will honestly miss him being in Washington. He was a voice of reason I think. May his soul Rest In Peace.

Date: August 26, 2018 12:44AM

He had a lot of stands that I disagreed with, but that doesnt make him evil.I loved his stand on healthcare and his defense of Obama when a lady in his crowd claimed he was Muslim. I didnt like his vote on the tax bill or his lack of support for Garland. However, that doesnt mean I have to hate him and call names. You can disagree with someone and respect him at the same time.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 10:42AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 01:00AM

I am terribly sorry to hear that. I did not always agree with his views, but I considered him to be a very decent man. He served his country honorably and well.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 01:02AM

The man was an accomplished, American hero. Always stood his ground. Put his Country over Party. We need more McCains in government leadership positions. RIP, Senator.

Date: August 26, 2018 04:27AM

Beautiful tribute indeed. Thanks, Steve.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 10:59AM

Posted by: invinoveritas ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 02:36AM

This exact same kind of cancer took my mother, so I have a certain empathy for any family member whose has lost a loved one from this. My condolences to Cindy, Bridget, Jack, Jimmy, Meghan, Andy, Doug, and the entire McCain Family.

As a four year Navy veteran from the old days; If you were a USN Aviator banging on/off carriers in the 1960's, you put your life on the line every time.

On July 1967 on the USS Forrestal, a rogue Zuni rocket launched from an F4 Phantom, traveled 100 yards across deck and struck a fully armed and loaded contingent of strike aircraft waiting to be launched, killing 134 sailors, and injuring an additional 160. The Forrestal was barely saved. There is video of McCain exiting the cockpit of his A4E Skyhawk, traveling along the nose, and jumping through fire and flames to escape.

Three months later he was launched from another carrier with and assignment to bomb Hanoi. After dropping his ordinance his A4E Skyhawk received a direct hit from a Soviet made SAM (Surface to Air Missile) which took off his left wing, followed by an immediate ejection. Results: two broken arms, a broken shoulder, a shattered left knee and broken leg, immediate capture, and 5 years of insufferable imprisonment and torture.

The man earned his right to be an American, a Senator, and to voice his opinion. I never voted for him, as his pick for his running mate during his presidential campaign proved he was not infallible.

But he definitely aspired to something bigger than himself, Duty, Country, Honor, and Family.

I am sorry to say that this old man does not see much of that anymore in today's Congress or present administration.

Senator John McCain, RIP.

Date: August 26, 2018 01:18PM

“Results: two broken arms, a broken shoulder, a shattered left knee and broken leg, immediate capture, and 5 years of insufferable imprisonment and torture.”

I’d gladly trade my LDS experience for that.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 03:47AM

He was a great man and a patriot. I disagreed with many and perhaps most of his policies, but he never forsook his principles. He had integrity in a world that grew increasingly compromised.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 10:52AM

I echo your sentiments. He was someone I admired even when I disagreed with him.

He was a hero in defense of his country, and a principled leader in service of his country.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 01:08PM

John McCain is an american hero, and will be missed by all decent and honorable country loving citizens.

Bye John. You made the world a better place.

HH =)

Date: August 26, 2018 01:23PM

Jeebus needed him.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 01:11PM

He was an American hero, and while I didn't always agree with him politically, he often put service to the country ahead of party.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 01:33PM

Just don't know what to think about this guy.

The story is that while he was a POW his first wife got crippled in a car accident.
He came back, divorced her and married the rich blonde.

Perot, by the way, paid for the first wife's hospital bills.
I never knew this and I have a new appreciation for Ross Perot.

Date: August 26, 2018 01:58PM

Elyse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> The story is that while he was a POW his first
> wife got crippled in a car accident.
> He came back, divorced her and married the rich
> blonde.
>

Mmmm, not quite accurate. He came back in '74. They divorced in '79

He said of their divorce...... "My marriage's collapse was attributable to my own selfishness and immaturity more than it was to Vietnam, and I cannot escape blame by pointing a finger at the war. The blame was entirely mine.”

She said of their divorce...."The breakup of our marriage was not caused by my accident or Vietnam or any of those things. I don't know that it might not have happened if John had never been gone. I attribute it more to John turning 40 and wanting to be 25 again than I do to anything else."

They remained friends by her own admission.

Date: August 26, 2018 03:49PM

Apparently they maintained a good relationship after the divorce.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 06:08PM

It could be that this is an example of how 'honesty' actually makes life better. But often people caught up in 'appearances' can't see this.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 06:12PM

As an aside, I betcha there are a few people in ChurchCo Hdqts who wish they had McCain and some other religion had Hatch...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 01:36PM

He was an honorable man, very well respected, who when a

prisoner during the Vietnam War was offered his release

declined it because the prison officials weren't releasing

everyone.

Date: August 26, 2018 02:30PM

Yes. The son of an important American military leader, he was offered many forms of special treatment. He refused that treatment, opting to suffer equally with his colleagues.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 03:41PM

Protocol stated that prisoners were to be released or repatriated in order of length of confinement. The Communists offered to move him to the front of the line, and he refused.

Perhaps he is most appreciated for the following:
1) He is not Trump.
2) He was anti-Trump.
3) He lost in 2008.

...which makes him an honored, revered statesman, as opposed to a mere politician.

Date: August 26, 2018 04:03PM

Alternatively, while compromising on many issues he never veered from his positions on national security, the rule of law, human decency, and a few other core principles.

And personally, he maintained cordial relations with his political enemies. The defense of Obama's heritage and citizenship is one example, so too his friendship with Biden and his work with Kennedy. Of course by praising those relationships I am also complimenting Biden and Kennedy, not to mention the less surprising cooperation with people further to the right than he.

There were others like him, long ago, but few today. And that is true on both sides of the aisle.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 04:31PM

You're responding to McCain, the man. I was referring to his treatment "way back then," when he was depicted as anti-woman, an Islamophobe, antisemitic,, unfit to be President, and if not racist himself, then politically comfortable with racists and the extreme right. Rumors of infidelity were circulated. Time magazine photoshopped his face, making it menacing and darker, and he was ridiculed for dictating, and not writing, his own emails, the guy was so dumb. (His fingers were crippled by his Communist captors.)

Most people forget how he was reviled. It should be interesting to see how they treat the two President Bushes when they pass.

Date: August 26, 2018 04:45PM

I'm not sure why you say that I was describing "McCain, the man." I wrote of his consistent policies and his willingness to cooperate across the aisle on policy initiatives. Those are substantial points, not the personalization to which you ironically turn in your post.

I will, however, briefly venture down that road with you. McCain was definitely a womanizer after his return from Vietnam. He's admitted that, as has his ex-wife.

I never heard any credible claims that he was anti-womon, certainly not later in life when he would lead delegations to other countries and insist that the Saudis and other misogynistic interlocutors treat women Senators with full deference. Nor am I cognizant of claims he was Islamophobic or antisemitic; you'll need to be refresh my memory on that.

I do, however, have some insight into how his office functioned and his presidential campaign. He was criticized by insiders for having a ferocious temper--I know two advisors who quite over that--but otherwise I heard no one say he was unfit for the presidency. Nor have I ever heard accusations that he was "dumb."

The other serious deficiency--one I'm surprised you do not mention--is his involvement in the S&L crisis. That raised serious doubts about his judgement and integrity. It took him many years to put those to rest.

As for dictating letters and having others type his emails, surely you jest. Everyone on Capitol Hill above the age of 50 does that--and a lot of the younger Senators and Representatives as well. My heavens, they have staff members whose sole responsibility is to do that.

Date: August 26, 2018 07:43PM

It would be a poor assistant who could not compose routine correspondence for his or her boss. When I worked in NYC, I would place a letter in front of my boss, and imperiously say, "Sign." And he would! If you can't trust your assistants, then you've hired the wrong people.

Date: August 26, 2018 05:24PM

So he basically grew up in prison.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 04:09PM

IDK if congress is 'in session' just now, but I heard they're at least postponing naming a replacement until after funeral.

O Wow, how wonderful of AZ governor!!!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 05:30PM

McCain was a good guy. Keating 5 incident aside.

I’d have so much more respect for politicians if they were more like McCain in the sense that they were consistent in their beliefs about governance and human rights and Socio-political issues, instead of keeping to the party line arbitrarily. Like many others have stated I don’t agree with McCain about many things, and perhaps this is bespeaking my ignorance of him, but he always seemed like an honorable person because he did not compromise in order to curry favor with Republicans or any other subset of the political right.

And his bravery and strength of character he demonstrated while prisoner of war is a true testament to his work integrity and patriotism- refusing early release, not giving aid or comfort to the enemy, and enduring 5 years of torture to return home and serve as a senator for nearly 4 decades. Him and Stockdale are heroes of mine.

Also, Steve’s renderings of Trump in political cartoons are hysterical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2018 05:31PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 05:31PM

First, I have a picture with McCain taken in October, 2004 in my last campaign for public office. Second, I know well former Sen. Lieberman who has been quoted on the death of McCain. Third, I am cousin to the Bushes and to Bill Clinton. I have an unposed picture with Ronald Reagan prior to his election as president with one on a different occasion with Nancy Reagan who is also a distant cousin.

I was especially proud of Sen. McCain for his vote against repeal of the health care plan.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 05:51PM

I never voted for John McCain, but admired his courage, and I really, really appreciated the way he spoke to the woman at one of his rallies who was saying that she was "..frightened at the idea of Barack Obama becoming president because he was so scary, a Muslim and all...." and John McCain said "no, no, no! You do not have to be afraid of Senator Obama. He is a very nice man, and he is not a Muslim. We might be opponents in this election, but he is a good man and there is nothing about him to fear." And any man who can last five years under torture in a North Vietnamese prison has both strength and integrity. Of course, Mr. Trump says that being captured and suffering torture and imprisonment for five years was nothing special. He said, "I like smart veterans who didn't get captured." Trump, of course, was never captured because he was never there. He had "bone spurs" that kept him out of the military. Bone spurs. Please. RIP, Senator McCain. One of your biggest mistakes was in not doing a better job of vetting Sarah Palin before offering her a spot on your ticket. I voted for Obama, but I think Sarah did you way more harm than good on that particular go-round.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 06:36PM

My husband and I were deeply saddened to hear that John McCain passed away yesterday. It took me some time to collect my thoughts and emotions enough to write about our brief experience with this good man.

Early in the spring of 2008, our oldest son, James, a new, wet behind the ears attorney was hired by the Republican National Committee to work on John McCain's Presidential Campaign. James flew back to Washington D.C. for training and was thrown right into the high stakes, political frenzy. The weeks and months ahead were a whirlwind of activity for him as he managed all his duties on behalf of John McCain's campaign. James was completely in his element and loving it!

It was the end of June when James' health took a turn. James suddenly passed away on July 14th, 2008. The next morning, we received a call from John McCain. Even though James and John had not formally met, we were impressed by this man's concern for this young attorney that had been diligently working on his behalf. John McCain expressed his genuine, deeply felt sympathy and was very gracious in his personal gratitude for James. Later that day, we received an exquisite bouquet of flowers from him for James.

At this time, we, in turn would like to express our deepest, heartfelt sympathy to John McCain's wife and family - and our deepest sympathy to our country for the loss of this truly good man.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 06:47PM

Thank you for sharing this personal story.

Date: August 27, 2018 04:15AM

Cheryl, at your request we arent allowed in each others threads. You obviously complained the last time I posted in yours.

Date: August 26, 2018 07:03PM

Thank you, PollyDee, for sharing your personal experience and story. HUGS to you and your family as this must bring up all kinds of emotions about the loss of your son, as well.

Date: August 26, 2018 07:40PM

I'm sorry for your loss, PollyDee. Thank you for sharing your story.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 08:02PM

PollyDee, I was not expecting the story to go that way. I too thank you for telling us of your heartbreak. I am so sorry.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: August 26, 2018 09:22PM

Even though I don't agree with McCain's political party, he was still a man to be respected. He lived the Navy's core values of "Honor, Courage, and Commitment" throughout his life, he was willing to work with Democrats for the good of the country instead of focusing only on his party, and I'm not sure I could have gone through what he went through as a POW.

RIP John McCain, one of the last men of honor in American politics.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 08:33AM

I like JC felt the man was compromised. The bigger issue here is that JC's comments weren't, in my opinion, out of line or overly disrespectful of McCain yet they were deleted. The real issue here is the lack of free opinion on this board. Is no decent allowed here?

Posted by: jc ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 09:25AM

Thanks Felix. My comments must have conflicted with the love fest on this post and RFM's admin's personal preferences. I posted my heart felt sentiments contrary to the rest of the posts and yet those comments were silenced and deleted. I didn't violate board rules. Sorry RFM, I just don't like someone who campaigns one way and votes another. There's nothing virtuous, lovely or of good report in doing that!

I like being 100% honest and factual.

Posted by: PollyDEE ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 02:58PM

Hi JC - I would have liked to have read your comments. It is frustrating that the Admins here delete comments that do not violate rules but don't fit some preconceived, unwritten paradigm. I have had a number of comments deleted under that same guise of board monitoring.

John McCain was by no means a perfect man, or politician.

Posted by: Maude ( )
Date: August 27, 2018 03:19PM

Any comments deleted were due to veering over the line into party politics - not allowed at RfM as that is not the aim of this board.

Due to the new rule that some politics may be OK, and we try to give decent latitude, we get topics like this. The obvious political comments are still not permitted - as political discussion always, always, always causes arguments and bad feelings between posters and more work for Admin.

We do our best. We have no political agenda. If you have questions about why your post was pulled it's best to ask Admin using the report button. You have to give us time to answer. We are all volunteers and it's a lot of work and time-consuming moderating this board according to the few basic guidelines, spelled out in the Admin note at the top of the board. No hidden agenda.

Using this topic as an example, it's OK to mention McCain even though he is a major political figure. Not OK to discuss his policies vs contrary policies or your personal political views on specific policy issues, votes, elections, other politicians.

Questions? Contact Admin off board. Try to lose the bias that we are purposely picking on certain posters. Our main concerns relate to trying our best to keep the board flowing according to the simple guidelines well described. Political arguments have no place here where the main topic is Recovery from Mormonism. It is a courtesy for posters to be able to talk about other topics at times but we request that the main discussion remains on Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 03:21PM by Maude.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.