Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 06:59PM

Ok a lady walks up to me and says I need $20 for the store, I didn't know what to do so I gave her $10 and what does she say no I wanted$20 ! I walked away then but I should have asked for my money back! They make you feel bad and tired of street scammers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:09PM

My personal policy is to not give money to beggars. My saying is, "my classroom is my charity." I've donated thousands of dollars to my students in the form of school supplies, materials, food, clothing, and shoes over the years. My charitable dollars are limited, and that is where most of them must go.

I think most beggars have mental issues. So I would not trouble yourself over her insistence on a certain sum of money.

Make a decision on how you want to handle beggars, and stick with it. Some people give money, some give food only, and some give nothing. All are viable alternatives.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:13PM

Or carry plenty of $1 bills with you. Then you don’t have to screen.

Posted by: Sillyrabbit ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:14PM

Curious about something you said. You said, "I didn't know what to do." What does that mean?

There is no right or wrong answer. If you feel like giving someone money, you give it. If you don't, you don't.

You could just have a standing rule which is not to give money, or a standing rule to always give something. Then you wouldn't be in the predicament of not knowing what to do.

For my part, sometimes I give and sometimes I don't. I make that decision on a case by case basis.

As far as them making you feel bad, no. That's not true. Only you can control your feelings.

Date: August 28, 2018 07:19PM

Or give .5 and say here you go, my grandma would always say to look at their shoes and she would say nice shoes how much did they cost? And would walk away, they put you on the spot so I will say I know a job that is hiring and you can work there if you want" but I won't give them anything

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:21PM

If you don't want to give them anything, I would just ignore them. No need to say a thing.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:56PM

^^^THIS^^^

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:31PM

What does this have to do with the board?

We're not a personal venting ground

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 07:46PM

you are living and learning OPie ~

you are blessed that you have $10 to give away OPie ~

in b 4 ~ ziller needs $20 for the store OPie ~

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 08:24PM

I don't give money hardly ever to beggars in the big city. In public I find that if you wear the color black, always wear a baseball cap (black), and don't look too nice and sweet, people usually are scared of you and may even think you have a weapon. Walk fast like you know where your going, and don't look dumb.

Avoid eye contact.

Date: August 28, 2018 09:25PM

They probably don't need it anyway and who knows how much money they get from people

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 09:45PM

The beggars where I live ask for a dollar or two. A cop chased one off the side of the road this morning as he was standing facing traffic (from sidewalk,) with his sign asking for a handout from passersby at the stoplight. Apparently there's an ordinance against doing that, so the guy high tailed it.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:13PM

My rule, give if I can and want to. And never judge because the only person I know about in the transaction is myself.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:24PM

'I dont have any cash on me' is a good response. They cant argue with that. In my case, it is often true. I sometimes give a couple of dollars and sometimes I dont.I would be put off by someone asking for $20.00. It isnt a fortune, but it is real money,especially if you are watching your spending.
There are better ways of feeding the poor I think. Many churches have food banks.Some schools do too. Locally St. Vincent de Paul has a soup kitchen and Catholic Community Services provides sandwiches and coffee during certain hours. Give to some place like that and they wont be spending your money on drugs or booze.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2018 10:48PM by bona dea.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:25PM

I carry a stash of $1 in my car and give everyone who asks one. I also don't want to have to continually make that decision.

Yes, mostly they are mentally ill or some kind of substance abuser (also mentally ill.) It makes me feel bad about myself when I judge them and refuse to give them anything. I consider myself lucky I'm not in their shoes.

Posted by: ialwayssaythis ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:32PM

"I was just about to ask you the same thing!"

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 10:53PM

Use the Andrew Dice Clay method. Tell them "I can't give you a few dollars. I only carry hundreds". Anyone who asks for a few dollars has far greater problems than just needing a few dollars. In most cases, there is nothing you can do for them. If you think they really are hungry, offer to take them to McDonalds and pay for their meal there. But never give them cash.

I was homeless myself at one time. I never asked a stranger for money. There are homeless shelters and free foodlines for the hungry if you go looking for them. It's not fun. You have to wait in line and live by someone else's rules. But you can live that way long enough to either get a job or get connected to the state's mental health system.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: August 28, 2018 11:01PM

WWJD?

Date: August 29, 2018 12:39AM

And I got mad when she said this isn't $20! I won't give out anymore money " I don't make a lot where I work and you don't walk up to people and ask for $20! Next time I will give them a penny and say here you go. It is hard because you don't know if they are scammers or not

Date: August 29, 2018 04:41AM

You could tell her to get a job. For that much effort she could find one and get paid for hustling.

$20 is more than double the minimum wage. It would take on average 2-3 hours to earn that much for someone who works to scrape by.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 29, 2018 07:57AM

I have no tolerance for bums.
I have had my life threatened by them for refusing to give them money.
One of them broke into my niece's home and was shot and killed.
I agree that most of them have mental problems preventing them from holding jobs.
I think the government should be helping them.

Date: August 29, 2018 08:20AM

I was 16 years old, waiting for a bus in Oakland, CA (Greyhound bus station.) A little boy walks up to me asking for a quarter. I gladly offered him one.

Next thing I know he returns with 5-6 older men, each one trying to hock something off on me. One tries to sell me an old sailor suit for $25. And so on. The little boy was only a ruse to see who would open their wallet for a quarter. Then the older guys proceeded to hit them up for more.

I moved away as quickly as I could to where I felt a little safer waiting for my bus.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.