Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 03:38PM

Aretha Franklin's funeral today. Incredible music. Stories. People. Love.

And words about the Queen herself.

LDS funerals are polar opposites.

Too bad. Most everybody deserves a few good words spoken about them at their own funeral.

The Lord has apparently seen fit though to inspire (not)Mormon leaders to deny faithful members even that personal moment.

Everything must be centred on (not)Mormonism.

My completely most disliked CoJCoLDS hymn is I Believe in Christ. It's particularly in nowhere land compared to the incredible musical performances at Ms. Franklin's 'homegoing' celebration.

The personal reminiscences of Aretha's life and times are lightyears better than the pallid repetitious testimonies trotted out on LDS Sundays.

Too bad. Members spend soooooooooo much time at church. I doubt their blood ever dances like mine does today during an amazing celebration of a life well lived.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2018 06:44PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 08:24PM

I caught the end of the service on CNN this evening, with Gladys Knight singing "Walk On."

Then Stevie Wonder played on harmonica "The Lord's Prayer," and finished up by singing a 1976 song "As."

In between his musical performances he gave a really beautiful prayer befitting the Queen of Soul, before the pastor presiding gave a closing prayer for her funeral.

I missed the bulk of the funeral - just the ending was eloquent and very touching.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2018 08:25PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 09:41PM

How can you go wrong with those musicians? Chaka, Stevie . . . .

Poor Faith Hill. I've never heard her sing before, so I don't know if she just couldn't hear herself - sound problems or what - but she got thrown into the lion's den.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 31, 2018 09:44PM

Mormon funerals are joyless affairs, full of sorrow and grief.

I'll pass and have a real "comming home" with real people who

feel deeply and strongly, who love strong and full of passion.

Posted by: Curelom Joe ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 01:12AM

I'd say that Aretha's must be the funeral of the century thus far. What an amazing spectacle!

And including her days of lying in state, and her burial day, she had four, count 'em, FOUR complete costume changes! That's going out like the Queen of Soul!

I can almost hear her spirit saying: "Eat your heart out, Diana Ross!"

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 01:29PM

I could have done without Bill Clinton acting like he is James Brown .Faith Hill sucks and she sucked .Rev Al was his usual full of shit self . The best tribute was by Smokey Robinson short from the heart and loving . I suppose I have a hard time watching black folks pray and sing to a religion that kept their ancestors enslaved for centuries

Date: September 01, 2018 05:05PM

Maybe it's tbe same idea as LGBTQ folks grabbing the hate words and owning them (eg: "queer"). They get the power that way. So African Americans do religion their style. Eg: When they sing a hymn you know it has been sung. Inside outside up down and back again. As for "the religion that enslaved them", it was some people of that faith. It's always the people. But it was also people of that faith who spoke up about the outrage, as well as the courageous oppressed people themselves who fought for their own rights.

I was hoping we could focus on the ones who have passed away this week and not get political. Be more LDS-related. Politics not so much.

(Oh rats. My word selection didn't go through. But the idea stands).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 06:02PM by Nightingale.

Date: September 01, 2018 06:11PM

I would have been thrilled to hear just one hymn in Mormon Church sung Aretha style, with dancing and clapping and a large dollop of zest. Instead, in Mormonism you get popcorn, groves and plygs. And that poor man of grief.

Droning style, not rejoicing. Has anybody ever clapped their hands to a song in Mormon Church? Or laughed long and loud? (Nope, strictly forbidden).

Lacklustre. Severe. Bereft of joy.

Ironically for me, my favourite LDS scripture was "Man is that he might have joy." (What about women though? Another question for a different day).

And I was the one the bishop singled out after a Christmas concert to say he had been watching me during the performance and thinking "she just doesn't get it".

Creepy.

Weird.

And yeah. I didn't.

But I never found out what it was he objected to in my countenance (lol) or demeanour, actions or lack thereof. Or ???

I think I was waiting for the music to start.

Perhaps a little more Aretha. Not so much JS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 06:12PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 07:29PM

I remember a time in the Mormon church when it was permitted to have a black spiritual song sung by a soloist. Indeed, it was the same day in which I gave my only sacrament talk. In the next twenty plus years I was never invited to give another talk. I was not correctly citing Mo doctrine, though most who were present were with me.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 06:32PM

I don’t pay attention to lyrics in general. I grew up just listening to instrumental music, so lyrics are like background noise to me.

So, I really enjoy the music without ever really noticing they’re talking about Jesus.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 01, 2018 10:34PM

Celebrity funerals are also a major see-and-be-seen occasion for other celebrities. Poor Louis Farrakhan, though. He gets to sit in the front row, and everybody edited him out!

Jimbo: Bill Clinton was apparently quite moved by Ariana Grande's...MOVING performance.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 06:03PM

But ... but ... but LD$ Inc has Gladys Knight.
You just wait for her funeral to see what a real funeral is like.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: September 02, 2018 08:52PM

Ask an adult Utah mormon what their favorite Aretha songs are.
Chances are they won't know one.

R & B wasn't listened to unless a song should hit the top ten.
We got "Bread" instead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.