Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 03:50PM

1. Make a pit stop to tour Temple Square?

2. Visit the nearest tavern?

3. Run for the hills?

4. Float the Great Salt Lake?

5. Go incognito?

Or ????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 04:08PM

Hike to Mt. Timpanogos cave and go though. Stop at a nice brew pub in town afterward and get some food and cold one.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 04:22PM

The lake is not a good idea unless you have pretty much all day.

Same with Timp but makes reservations weeks, if not months in advance. It's closed early this year so they can build a new entrance building (with the story of the Hansen family, who discovered a good portion of it). My aunt Leona married one of the Hansen Brothers and each year until he died, 20+ years ago, he got invited to the seasonal opening for the cave.

Go shopping at City Creek (no, wait. Don't do that).

My favorite thing I've done since I moved back was a visit to The Utah Museum of Contemporary Art (Don't take grandkids).

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 04:24PM

-wrong spot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 05:06PM by messygoop.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 04:25PM

Go visit Gilgal.

That always puts me into a meditative mood.

As far as I know, it has the only sphinx with the face of Joseph Smith anywhere on the planet.

Sermons in stone, as they say.

Plus a way cool stone grasshopper. Not to mention the aroma of baking bread from the bakery across the way.

A uniquely Utah experience.

Lois

Date: September 06, 2018 04:34PM

Plus you could walk through the block to famous Utah eatery, Chuckarama.

You have to do that once in your life. Just once is sufficient.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 11:29AM

Is it still nicknamed "UpChuckarama?"

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 04:38PM

Last time I was in SLC I went to Temple Square - I had to look the beast square in the eyes. One of the most cathartic things I ever did.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 04:39PM

Get thee to a pub!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 04:47PM

Red Iguana.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 05:13PM

Call the Boner and meet him and memikeyounot at the Red Iguana. The Boner will buy~!!! Great food and you'll have a blast with those two! ...and anyone else who might want to show up!

Date: September 06, 2018 11:42PM

I'm blushing...I felt like I just sat and listened to 3 people saying things that were so funny and true and smart. Couldn't think fast to keep up with any of you!!

Date: September 07, 2018 08:12PM

Wish I was in the area...I'd buy the second round!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 06:10PM

Yes !!!!!! Great food.

Thats where Olddawg and I met up with Boner and Memikeyounot...

Its a great place to eat and meet up with old friends.

You should set up a meet up.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 05:00PM

6. Start walking to Colorado. Or Nevada.

Or...

6b. Look up the Boner, and have him buy me a beer!

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 05:09PM

I once spent a year in Salt Lake City. I believe it was on a Sunday.

Date: September 07, 2018 02:30PM

Razortooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I once spent a year in Salt Lake City. I believe
> it was on a Sunday.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaa That is perfect..I love it.

Date: September 07, 2018 03:51PM

Nicely put, Saucie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 03:51PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 05:30PM

I'd get some lunch.
http://www.houseoftibettogo.com/#page-top

Then what ificouldhietokolob said, but start walking through Wyoming.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2018 05:31PM by mikemitchell.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 06:06PM

Actually, hiking to Timp Cave is a pretty good idea. It is now closed until Mother's Day weekend 2019. The hike is free, and takes an hour and a half to two hours, with lovely views of the mountains and the valley to the west. I rarely go through the cave.

City Creek Center is not all that bad an idea either. I live nearby, and walk through at least weekly. I even discovered that they shut the creek through the mall "off" at night. Fires up about 9:30 in the morning! There are interesting nooks and crannies. There are also roughly 3 dozen bars and restaurants within 2 blocks of City Creek Center. And the first two hours of parking are free there. Not a bad place to go for a quick look at SLC.

Beehive House and Temple Square are worth a look for people who have never been. I prefer the block east of Main, to the temple block. Missionary hosts tend to descent like mosquitoes in the temple block. Not so much in the other block.

Gilgal Garden is fun. Near the Hires Big H at 400 S 700 E. Google for exact location - it's hard to spot from the street. You can rent a green bike to get there, a bit of a hike from downtown (a bit over a mile each way).

While there, Trolley Square, about a block away, is worth a walk-through. Sam Weller Books, a killer fountain pen and related paraphernalia store, Sonoma Williams, Whole Foods, and several pubs and restaurants.

Great Salt Lake Marina is likely not worth the trouble. It is so low on water that there is essentially no activity at the marina - no sailboats gliding around. The shoreline has receded quite a bit.

Alta/Albion Basin, Solitude, and even taking Guardsman Pass over the top by Solitude and coming down in Deer Valley/Park City, if you have a vehicle and a few hours.

Bingham copper mine

Red Butte Garden at the UofU. Utah Museum of Natural History next to it.

Hansen Planetarium at Gateway.

For the next week, Utah State Fair, a scant 10 minutes from downtown. Red Iguana Restaurant nearby.

Evening concerts at Gallivan Plaza, buskers on downtown street corners Wed thru Sat. The Gallivan lunch concerts just ended.

Lunch at Siegried's Deli, or the Boulangerie on Main, or Gourmandies on 300 E, and check out the wine store across the street. It will amaze you at the selection. Seriously.

Several small parks and City Creek Canyon are just a block or 2 N and E of the Beehive House block. Nice walks.

Drive around S Temple east of downtown or up in the Avenues north of South Temple. Interesting 100 to 140 year old homes. There is also a city Cemetery up there with famous names like Brigham hisself planted there.

Antelope Island, about a half hour drive north of downtown. Better place to get a good look at Great Salt Lake than from the marina, IMHO. Plus bison of you go to the right parts!

25th Street in Ogden, also railroad museum at end of 25th St. Hill AFB aviation museum.

Date: September 07, 2018 12:48AM

"I like Red Butte and I cannot lie."

Seriously, the garden and the museum are excellent choices.

Assuming, of course, that the Red Iguana is closed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 12:49AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: September 07, 2018 08:14PM

The Boner and I went to "The Garage"....appropriately grungy but the food was great and the beer was cold.

Date: September 06, 2018 06:11PM

Hey, is this the brother who served his mission in France and had the "motorscooter + miracle dozen eggs" accident? You at least need to take a carton of eggs to one meeting or another!

Date: September 07, 2018 07:46AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey, is this the brother who served his mission in
> France and had the "motorscooter + miracle dozen
> eggs" accident? You at least need to take a
> carton of eggs to one meeting or another!

My eggs would break as they rolled onto the floor.

But he is the same brother. And it was a miracle to him that not one of those eggs involved in his moped crash either cracked or broke as they rolled onto the pavement. It was all the food he had to last on a very tight budget.

Thanks for reminding me about that. I'd forgotten about it this past week.

He also got to shake hands with Roger Moore on the streets of Paris. Imagine that. A starstruck young missionary with not a convert in sight. But was able to meet someone he admired very much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 07:49AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 06:21PM

Hitch hike out of there.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 07:21PM

1. Make a pit stop to tour Temple Square?
never tried it but from what I hear, you get a good dose of Ut culture.

2. Visit the nearest tavern?
Yes..in SLC, there's Twist, The Green Pig, Whiskey Street, Bee Hive, plus many more

3. Run for the hills?
Great hiking in downtown SLC to the hills, or up cotton wood canyon, or Corner Canyon a little farther south

4. Float the Great Salt Lake?
Antelope Island might be interesting to you

5. Go incognito?
Not sure what you mean

Date: September 06, 2018 09:42PM

Going incognito just meant going off the grid. It's easy to do in a large city or the middle of nowhere. Not sure how doable it is in SLC.

I believe I may have spotted Antelope Island today flying into SLC. If it's the largest island sitting in the middle of the Salt Lake, then that was it. If it's not I don't know what I saw.

:P

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 08:43PM

Are there any fresh-water showers at the G S Lake?

If not, i suggest to not go in the water.

SL & Utah ppl know why...

Date: September 06, 2018 09:40PM

The water is pretty grotesque.

When my plane touched down today in SLC, there was not a soul in sight around the Great Salt Lake. No boats on the water. It just looks dead.

When my mom was a child it was a tourist sensation. People flocked from all around to visit there. My mom remembered going with her family to play in the water. The beach was filled with people and when she was in the water she didn't have to swim at all. She floated on top of the salt it was so thick.

Most of that has been mined out and the water has gotten very polluted. Water levels have sunk. It's almost an eyesore. Compare that to the Dead Sea. Something similar has been happening with that, but it's still a huge tourist attraction, and its salt is mined for its mineral benefits the world round.

Posted by: Clarke ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 08:52PM

Clarke planetarium.

It’s a good one, Hanson was the old one, now the star theater in Clarke is named for it.

Date: September 06, 2018 09:43PM

Cool. A trip to the planetarium is always in season. :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 05:08PM

Oops. Yeah, Clarke Planetarium. Brain cramp

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 06, 2018 09:49PM

Museum of Natural History a ways south in Lehi (?).

Date: September 06, 2018 10:05PM

Yeah go visit one of those places and then come back and tell us

all about it Amyjo.... we're anxious to hear .

Date: September 07, 2018 08:01AM

I'm not stranded now. Just had an unexpected delay at the airport yesterday and lost precious time in getting to my destination.

Not very happy about that. As I sat there waiting for my flight is when I imagined what I might do if I were stranded for longer and had a whole day to explore the city. Where would I start?

Last time I spent any time in SL was to visit the Family History library and put flowers, then later stones on my great grandmothers graves in the oldest Jewish cemetery there. The flowers were stolen. The rocks no one bothers with. The woman in the caretakers house on the grounds told me someone comes through at night and steals all the flowers throughout the cemetery. I don't know why they don't monitor it better than that. It's ludicrous. It's part of the larger old SLC cemetery.

The first caretaker there was arrested for stealing the clothes off the deceased. He was found to be hoarding them in the caretaker's house. Then Brigham Young vanquished him to Antelope Island with a brand on his forehead that read: Grave Robber. LOL.

Poor dunce then later escaped from Antelope Island never to be seen or heard from again. Now apparently kleptomaniacs still help themselves to whatever they can on site at night under cover of darkness.

Date: September 06, 2018 10:42PM

man oh man... I hope you have a chance to meet some of the SLC people when you pass through to head back home.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 12:39AM

Go to Wendover.

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 07:26AM

Yes, the Great Salt Lake is polluted. So is Utah Lake. Jordanelle Reservoir and East Canyon are each about 30 minutes away, but there are no trees on the shore.

Park City is only 25 minutes away! It's a fun, picturesque mining town, bars, microbreweries, shops, a decent art gallery, outlet stores, "Park Silly" and Farmer's Market, the Alpine Slide, a zip line, a coaster, and lift rides. They have outdoor ock and symphony concerts at Park West and Deer Valley. Check out their website for events.

For me, the best part of SLC is the mountains! The closest scenic canyon is Millcreek Canyon, for a small fee. Brighton is the closest ski area, next to Park City, and the drive up there is spectacular, with amazing rock formations, the infamous "S-curve", the granite vaults where the Mormon cult keeps its microfilm records. There's a pretty, level, boarded walkway around Silver Lake. My son has a cabin near there. There are also some lovely hikes, to get away from people, to Donut Falls or other lakes. At Snowbird, in Little Cottonwood Canyon, you can ride the tram to the top. The Steak Pit is good.

Sundance and the Alpine Loop are the prettiest, but are about an hour out of SLC, by freeway. Once you are up at the base of Mt. Timp, it's the prettiest place in the whole state, IMO! You can ride the lift at Sundance, up the face of that huge mountain. There's a decent restaurant there. Several of my relatives have had their wedding receptions there, and two cousin have cabins.

The mountains, the museums and galleries, Red Butte, Red Iguana, the zoo, planetarium, Tracy Aviary at Liberty Park, Chigal Gardens, Gateway Mall, are all more interesting and uplifting than Mormon City Creek or Temple Square or BYU campus. If you like churches, the Cathedral of the Madeline is worth seeing.

Whenever I'm stuck in a city I don't like (St. George) I escape by going to the movies!

Date: September 07, 2018 08:07AM

Oh, I would LOVE being stuck in St. George. I escape to the movies wherever I am. That won't change wherever I end up retiring to.

I don't know how anyone can't fall in love with those majestic views of the red rocky mountain vistas and Pine Mountain. It's incredible scenery there.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions of what to do when in SLC.

Lots of neat things to see and do there I didn't know about. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 08:08AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: manymoremany ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 11:02AM

Have fun!

M@t

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 03:34PM

Memorial grove is nice, the state capital is the grandest anywhere in the country. Ride my bike up South Temple up into the Avenues and Federal Heights and over to SunnySide Ave and down Princeton. Old town Salt Lake has the best architecture any out West. Sam Wellers and Ken Sanders Books has a great collection of pioneer books (and older) to buy.

Incidentally Provo has nice things as well, there is a book store called Moons that has all the original editions of the Bible on display from Henry VIII time and King James, and Shakespeare original printings and furniture, Jane Austen stuff as well. The family also hired a curator to show it to the public. No price tags either...

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 04:08PM

Stay living in SLC

Date: September 07, 2018 09:16PM

Some schlepp ran through a red light this afternoon in the town where I'm staying, on his scooter. I nearly ran him over except I braked in time before making roadkill out of him. Boy am I livid. He tried telling the cop that I ran the red light. Then come to find out he is an uninsured driver to boot. Because neither of us were injured, and the damage to our vehicles was negligible, the officers only cited him for being uninsured. They have videotape of that intersection though, which my insurance company may request if the rental company holds them liable for the damage.

Idiot driver that he was, I hope he gets his license revoked.

There were no eyewitnesses although a woman in a house nearby who came out to see if I was okay said it sounded like a loud explosion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 09:20PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 03:13AM

So sorry! I hope you are all right! Whiplash shows up the next day, so if you feel anything weird, go see a doctor!

Yikes! Like I said before, most of the people in Utah are "batshit crazy."

You're a good sister, to go through all of this for your brother's memory.

Don't misunderstand about St. George. The scenery around there, is spectacular, but the town, itself has little to offer, except the movie theaters and restaurant chains. It's no place to be alone, whereas, SLC is lots of fun, really!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 06:34PM

If you're a history buff, then I might suggest the Daughter's of the Utah Pioneers Museum by the Capitol Building. They don't push the religion side, they just show the history of the area.

If you go to the Church History Museum be prepared for a big dose of their beliefs which is completely to be expected, I just don't care for anymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.