Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: antonymous ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 03:11PM

The collective wisdom of RfM has a wealth of philosophical ideas. What occurred to me tonight is perhaps obvious (or not).

Is it the nature of all ideologies that claim exclusive truth (whether that he religious.or political) that they will all ultimately spawn a totalitarian regime?

It seems many ideologies start with a broad appeal, particularly where they offer clear certain answers to age old conundrums. Many are attracted, only to find the ideology begins to establish clear certain "truths" about every aspect of life.

I remember growing up in the 70s, a Mormon church that had all manner of diverse doctrine purported. Now it seems a totalitarian regime has been in power for over a decade, and now no variation or dissent is tolerated.

I welcome any views expanding, agreeing or disagreeing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 07:18PM

That is very strange, how a regime so antithetical to its roots came about. It’s become an epistemological cartoon, but it’s not funny. There’s no reason not to let ideas run their course except for systemic insecurity. Notice how bodyguards and bulletproof Audis popped up, as if anyone would have wasted a bullet on Monson, but where is the faith? They couldn’t even trust God with that.

They created the insular world that protects their closed-box thinking. The apostles are right proud of their record of non-dissent. That gets you the lowest common denominator. Group think allows the culture to operate in a vacuum. They believe when their yes men tell them they aren’t the problem. So it must be everyone else.

Mormonism was a cozy place, but I didn’t belong there. I should thank them for farting in the sleeping bag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2018 08:18PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 07:45PM

I think humans have a propensity for tribalism. How you wear your war paint matters!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 08:12PM

The Aztecs had a real management culture. When they said “heads will roll”, they meant it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.