Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alan Robinson ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 09:39PM

I am asking this question in a non judgmental way as I would genuinely like to know why there are so few individual names on this site.

Of course I understand that in some instances that some are in a sensitive situation with regards to family employment and friends etc. however is nearly everyone on here like that?

I have read some really beautiful heart rendering articles on here that have really moved me and then I look to see who has written it and I see a psyudenum something like SLAPMYBUTT and then it kinda loses something I feel.

I don't put my name on here for any other reason than to let those that I once associated with know that it is indeed me and now here are my beliefs and that I have a connection with the great people on this site.

So wouldn't it have a greater effect if we put a real Human name/face to our situation for others to know that Real people are hurting, real people are sick of it and real people simply wont take it anymore.

Thank you my friends for understanding how much I care for you!

Hey, plus I'm an Aussie so what do I know:)

Alan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 09:47PM

I don't use my real name except on linked in. And I've been online since before endless September.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 09:59PM

In general, it is not wise to be using your real name on the Internet unless you are a "public person" who is posting in their "public" capacity: a celebrity, a person who holds public office, etc.

It is especially not wise for people who have now, or had in the past, some connection to Mormonism, because almost always, there are relatives, employers, neighbors, teachers of your offspring, etc. who could potentially use your words against you, either now or in the future.

There may be nothing "wrong" with what someone writes on any individual post, but putting those all of those posts together may create a "picture" that may work against your own interests in a future personal, employment/career, or legal matter.

Date: September 07, 2018 10:27PM

Great answer. Thanks.

Alan.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 10:51PM

What Tevai said.

I have an additional reason. If I were to reveal my secret identity, it would hinder my effectiveness as a crime fighter.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 10:39PM

And what makes you think this isn't my real name? ;-P

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 11:14PM

I don't use my real name because my family might give me grief if someone blabbed to them.

My parents also have poor taste in names, so I rarely use my real name even in person.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 11:22PM

I'd use my real name, Joseph Smith, but people wouldn't take kindly to it. Actually, it's Jose Smith, but same problem.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 11:54PM

Joseph Smith said that Shinehah is the name of the sun, but I use the name Shinehah to make fun of Joseph Smith.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 07, 2018 11:26PM

Dave is my real name.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:24PM

My real name is Dave (David) too.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:11AM

I did for a while....and many know my name, but one particular sewer dweller has launched numerous personal attacks on me, even threatening my life...so I don't post it anymore.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:20AM

It's generally best not to post one's real name and too much real life information online as there are too many trolls who would use such information for harm. The exceptions are Facebook and Linkedin which tend to require real names, but even then, it's better not to make something like your home address public. In the case of this site and other exmormon sites, many have believing family members who would completely shun them if found out, and in the worst case scenario, it could lead to threats on poster's lives and continued stalking by the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 01:22AM by doyle18.

Posted by: Amos90 ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:42AM

Because it's not safe to put my real name on here.

1. Internet safety at large, not doxxing myself, to hackers, trolls, etc
2. Some Mormons including close loved ones are not matured enough to handle my "apostasy" without prejudice or unnecessarily hard feelings.
3. Employers and clients could Google me and see this, and there is a range of sensitivities on how "SFW" this is. Much of society simply doesn't get what this is about, and if they happen to be LDS, see #2

Posted by: Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 02:07AM

Tevai is right. Information could be used against me.

Ah, Mormons aren't your ordinary trolls, as most of us well know! These are the nastiest people I have ever known.

I'm sorry, Lethbridge Reprobate, that you had that frightening experience with one of those "sewer dwellers."

My first husband was a fanatic TBM RM from I met at BYU. He had a hidden history of violence, and he raped me and beat me, a few hours after our temple wedding. I was able to escape with my life (barely) and divorce him, and we didn't have any children. I had restraining orders against him, for me and my family. Though he has always found new victims, and has had other marriages and divorces, and children of his own, this thug has stalked me throughout the years. He's related to an important GA, and the GA ran into me at a wedding in another state, just 5 years ago. He asked me how my children were, and GA reminded me that I and my children (by my second husband, several years after the divorce) were still sealed to their family, because of the temple sealing. He hadn't seen me for 20 years, so, I looked confused, and told him that I was a neighbor of the groom, and didn't know him, or what he was talking about?? I reacted like the GA was a crazy old man! I have been in therapy for PTSD, but still live in mortal fear.

Even without that horrible threat, the Mormons would try to ruin my career, because apostates aren't supposed to be successful, and because of some prejudices I've expressed here, against Mormons, such as the fact that I. don't. trust. them.

Mormons (here I go again!) I mean, quite a lot of Mormons are vindictive, and they want those who leave their cult to FAIL. This makes them my enemies, and my children's enemies.

Mormon priesthood leaders physically and mentally abused my children, when we were members. I don't think the men would have acted that way, if we had had a husband and father around. Single women need to be very careful.

My sons live nearby, and they are in peak physical condition, and would protect me, now that they are grown adults. Still--I know too well, how quickly a Mormon psychopath can beat you almost to death --with no warning, for no reason.

The reason for our anonymity lies not within us RFM'ers, but with our Mormon abusers.

Date: September 08, 2018 03:15AM

Thank you so much for sharing because living here in Oz makes me quite naive and you opening up like this means so much to me and no doubt others.

I wish that I was as strong as you.

Sincerely and with best regards. Alan.

Date: September 08, 2018 09:46AM

Nailed it !!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 03:17AM

I do.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 07:14AM

Because I am number 2.

If I came out against the church I would lose my marriage. I love my spouse immensely and we have a great relationship... Other than this... Its huge, but I guess I lack integrity, because I've chosen to not really care enough about what BS the church is. Lets say I don't care enough about the BS to sacrifice my marriage, my family and possibly my job.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 09:00AM

What? Dennis Moore isn't my real name?

Well bust my buttons!

Just hand over all you lupines and things will be right as rain!

-What's my real name Dennis

Date: September 08, 2018 09:50AM

And just remember that the "Strengthening the members commitee" lurks here. They want to know who you are.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 12:45PM

My wife and adult kids are all TBMs. I have wonderful relationships with my kids and their families because I never enabled religion, and my exiting, to cause strife. If they knew I posted here, I’m sure it would hurt our relationships.

I also live and work in one of the heaviest Mormon parts of Utah. Careers, here, can be destroyed by exercising one’s freedom of speech in publically criticizing the church.

Bro-hugs, the Utahan’s Boner.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:00PM

Protect any privacy you can wherever you can. In this day and age, it is a dying commodity.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:11PM

It's usually better to use a fake name for privacy. Some posters have been harassed in their homes after using their name and location on RfM. It's happened to me.

TBMs sometimes monitor posts and follow up to punish posters for leaving the church.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:16PM

I'd use my real name, Jesus Christ, but I don't want to get into any copyright hassle with Intellectual Reserve, Inc.

Also, some of the names on here show how ingenious and funny exmos are.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 01:35PM

Phil West
438 W.10th St.
Tuscalloosa Al

Member Tuscalloosa 3rd Ward
Employer Tuscalloosa cable vision

So there! No one dares match my totally bogus profie.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:27AM

You live at Hotel Capstone? I ate lunch there once and got food poisoning. I think it was the catfish. Still, it was better than Jacks.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 02:23PM

Angela is my name

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 02:41PM

I use my real name too.

Posted by: Sillyrabbit ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 02:48PM

My reason is that I have a great career. Enough said.

Posted by: Hugh Janus ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 02:49PM

All right fine, I used my real name.

I was struck by this comment, "Thank you my friends for understanding how much I care for you!" These seemed a little mormonese to me, and I just wonder, are you an active Mormon?

Posted by: Hugh Janus ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 02:54PM

JK bro...I read your other post about LT Perry, and have to admit, that was funny...very very funny. Before I read that I thought you might be a Mormon troll, wanting to get our names, but after reading that...you aint Mormon anymore. Funny guy...great story. Welcome. Tell some more stories..that was great a great one. Plus you are a gifted writer.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 02:52PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 06:36PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

And very rightfully so, Steve!

:D

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 06:29PM

Do you use your real name on other message boards as well? On most message boards that I've seen, the majority of posters have board names or at best use just their first names for privacy. I do know the real names of people on other message boards because I've met up with them IRL, gone to various events with them, friended them on Facebook, and built up a level of trust with them over many years. But we still use our "board names" on publicly-accessible message boards.

You will get to know people on this board over time. Depending on where you are now, there are meetups where you can get to know fellow exmos. And as people get to know you, they may wish to friend you on social media or meet up with you in person.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 02:27PM

"catnip" is simply my RfM persona. I love my furry felines, so the name is appropriate, and has a sassy ring to it.

I never really liked the name that my parents saddled me with. I don't use my real name on social media either, and after reading about how various political organizations go trolling on FB and other social media outlets, I'm glad that I don't.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 07:07PM

Annonymity is sometimes the only protection against verbal and physical abuse.

It is a huge issue for me!

Posted by: Historian ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 07:13PM

My real name is sacred. Can't be spoken publicaly.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 02:21PM

I use my real name.... and a lot of fake names when I'm trolling... :D

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 03:41PM

I have always been protective of my identity online. I've been on many boards thru the years. Even the email accts I use for them are fake.

I use my real name email for personal and professional pursuits.
Only FB and LinkedIn know who I really am.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 05:33PM

Well, at first I was Moose but have been "me" for quite some time now!

Posted by: CuZits Phunny ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 02:23AM

I'Me

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 09:43AM

What makes you think this isn't my real name? :)

A number of board regulars know my real name, and I've met up with several of them. I even get elderolddog out to play golf now and then.

But, yeah, privacy. And the family I have still in the clutches of the cult. And I don't think anything I write that might help or touch someone has any less impact coming from Hie than it would my given name.

Peace.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 09:51AM

Although I'm a nevermo and therefore don't have to deal with the hassle reserved for ex-members, another reason not to post under my real name is that I usually post from work. I have a very quiet job and I would like to keep it ;-)

Although my real first name is indeed Tom, I am in Paris and I have met several posters in person (shout out to the others: if you're ever in Paris, I love meeting board members...).

Tom in Paris

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:30AM

Some of us have more at stake than others.

I would never dismiss great content because I didn't like someone's board name. Wouldn't that be "Monikerism?"

Glad you are here by the way even if you are transparent. :)

Date: September 10, 2018 10:50AM

You have one too many Dones in your name.
Therefore I dismiss what you have to say.

:)

Date: September 10, 2018 11:13AM

Well half of me is very offended right now!

:) maybe.

Date: September 10, 2018 11:35AM

Love ya, D&D! :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:53AM

Now I have nothing against it. I actually would like to. I'm Facebook associated with Exmormonism. But when I created my handle I wasn't so open about it. People here like Elder Berry instead of Robert Hodson so I keep it.

Date: September 10, 2018 10:59AM

Always one of my favorite names because where I come from Elder Berry Jam is a very big deal.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 04:43PM

Elder Berry in a jam. Sounds about right for my time in their morg.

Posted by: b ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 12:21PM

Secondary sign: "FOR LEASE"

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 11:26AM

Because my real name of Moroni, given to me in the temple, is too sacred to divulge here.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:39PM

Hola, Bro!

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 11:11AM

Hola, fellow Moronicito!

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 02:33AM

I have a friend that has not gone to church in like ten years. Says he doesn't believe in any of it yet is too scared to tell me his temple name. That is crazy intimidation and fear. It was almost like he felt God would strike him down the moment he said his temple name.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:51PM

Some people know my full name like Caffiend and byu boner. I use at least my first name because part of my therapy is to force myself to be the real me and connect with my actual birth name again. I got disassociated with myself after trauma and created a person that is not actually me out of protection. The religion is all about losing your identity and becoming something else like priest or elder or the new name in the temple. You can be controlled better without a unique identity.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 11:16AM

cl2 is actually a name a good friend (chemist) gave me as I wouldn't allow him to call me Calleen as my name is Colleen, so he named me chlorine. It stuck and some 35 years since he died, I'm still known as cl2 by many people.

But my name is ColleenxChristensenxParkinson. (I have noticed some of my posts on google before and I'd prefer for them not to show up for some interesting reasons like I've posted about my old perverted bishop from my childhood and that showed up on google and I have posted about my boyfriend's GGF who was mormon and it showed up on google, and I don't know if his family would care if I did or not, but I just decided I needed to be a little more careful.)

I live in HyrumxUtah and I grew up in BrighamxCityxUtah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2018 11:17AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.