Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 11:37PM

I am opening a continuation thread so that Eldad Hagar, of Hope for Paws (Los Angeles), has a way to answer the email I sent to him earlier this evening about Crazy horse's problem with the puppy she was given responsibility for.

You Tube has a seemingly endless number of Hope for Paws videos, recorded during animal rescues of all kinds, which were accomplished by the rescuers at Hope for Paws (including some rescues in other countries, such as Costa Rica and Israel), and I am in awe of what they have done to rescue abandoned, abused, injured, and in danger animals (including a very fortunate injured donkey in Israel).

As a bonus for the viewer, a number of the rescues offer scenic panoramas of the always picturesque Los Angeles River, from the concrete riverbed to the top of the concrete ;). [Of the Los Angeles River videos, one features the volunteer efforts of the Los Angeles City Fire Department--a major source of pride for Angelenos since the 1800s].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2018 11:51PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 11:40PM

Too bad they don't provide heart transplants for people.
I am very concerned for the dog.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 11:54PM

siobhan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am very concerned for the dog.

Me, too.

This is why I contacted Hope for Paws, because I figured that if anyone knew the best thing to do in this kind of situation, it would be them.

Thanks, siobhan. :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 08, 2018 11:55PM

Me three.I hope the problem is being exaggerated, but even if it is, it doesnt sound as if the dog is wanted or being cared for properly. Thank you for coming up with something practical, Tevai.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 10:43PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 12:02AM

Full grown, you are looking at 10lb-25lb. At six weeks I figure at best he is at 5lbs. That makes for a very small window if he is not eating.

Date: September 09, 2018 12:11AM

And how hard is it to try something soft or call an animal hospital or breeder for advice?

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 11:21AM

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for people who are cruel to animals. I don’t care how fvckd up their life is.

I also think a lot of people migrate to all kinds of online forums because they want to tell their tale of woe and they know they’ll have an audience of non-judgemental sympathizers.

I think people who behave abominably in a public forum should be called out for it.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 12:22PM

I have been worried about that poor puppy since I saw that post yesterday. I would come get it myself, except I live in Indiana, am on oxygen 24/7, work part time and have lung cancer plus 4 rescue cats who are afraid of dogs. But surely there is a rescue organization within driving distance of that puppy. If any of you from this board are able to go get it and get it to a vet or someone responsible and see that it gets some loving care and will email me with an address, I can manage a small donation for gas or whatever. (Small to you, just manageable to me--$25 or so) And just so you know--while no-kill shelters are well-meaning, and will not euthanize an adoptable pet, many poor dogs and cats live out miserable lives locked in cages forever unless and until they happen to seem to be "just what someone was looking for", which too often is not the case. I think specific breed rescues do a pretty good job of matching dogs with forever homes, and I know there is a pretty good no-kill shelter here where I live that has a loyal and large volunteer corps that comes daily to walk and talk and love on all the dogs at that particular shelter, but not all no-kills have that luxury. :(

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 03:26PM

I am nowhere near Indiana, but I wanted to let you know that your offer to help has touched me.

Thinking of you and wishing you well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 03:26PM by Beth.

Date: September 09, 2018 10:45PM

Puppies tend to go fast. Older dogs,not so much

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 03:21PM

Shut up all of you! I will take it back to its mother, the breeder was trying to get rid of the dogs as quick as possible! And of course my selfish family got the dog and did not look up the breeder or anything and want me to take care of it! I don't need your judgment at all and I am done with this group! I will say the rosary

Date: September 09, 2018 10:18PM

Oh please. If you were in 1st grade for 9/11 that means you are well into your 20s.
At 17 I'd had enough of my family's crap for a while and ran off to New Orleans. At 17&19 my daughters had enough of my crap and busted free.
Quit being a victim.
If you weren't having so much fun being miserable you'd realize that Bostons were bred purely for companionship and you'd have a new little running buddy who would have been there just to worship you until you're 40.
Too bad it sounds like he's already afraid of you.

Date: September 09, 2018 10:34PM

It sounds like all the behavior she is complaining about is puppy behavior. They like dark, secure
places such as under the bed, they pee and poop on the floor, they chew and they like to play fight. That is not aggression. It is playing. I hope she doesnt get another dog until she understands puppy behavior and is ready to be responsible even when the pup isnt being charming and sweet.

I do understand that the puppy wasnt her idea and those who got it should have been responsible, but still,how can you just say you are done and it isnt your problem? You work out something with your parents and if they refuse to be responsible you try to find a home for the pup or take it to a shelter. I would be mad too, but not at the dog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 10:46PM by bona dea.

Date: September 09, 2018 10:56PM

Puppies are never charming and sweet! OK, unless they are sleeping :). Pups are a LOT of consistent hard work. Every day. Doesn't matter if you are sick, busy, have a new squeeze, stressed to the max from work. The first six months are really hard, then bit by bit it starts to ease. By the time they are 2, if you have done your work, you will have a lovely friend. If you don't, well, that is why so many shelters are full. There is no such thing as a bad dog, there are bad owners. I don't know much about them but I was curious and they seem to be a very nice family/companion breed. If you want a herding or working breed it is a whole lot MORE work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 10:57PM by Susan I/S.

Date: September 09, 2018 10:58PM

Lol. They can be sweet, but they are also a lot of work and are always in trouble.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 05:33AM

>>It sounds like all the behavior she is complaining about is puppy behavior.

Yes, it all sounds like normal puppy behavior to me as well. The biting is likely just the puppy trying out his new teeth, and perhaps suffering from some teething pain. Human babies put everything in their mouths as well, and have been known to take a good chomp on mom's nipple. Puppies need to be trained out of biting.

When my beagle was a young pup, I kept her in a box right beside my bed. The box had a cozy throw wadded up into a nest. I also had a ticking alarm clock hidden underneath, because that was the recommendation back in those days -- the ticking was supposed to remind the pup of her mom's heartbeat. Even so, my puppy needed more comfort than that, so I slept with one arm hanging down into the box, which seemed to do the trick.

It sounds like CH's puppy could use some piddle pads which might help with some of the mess. Some chew and tug toys would be nice as well.

CH, I'm sure that there are lots of good resources online giving advice for new puppy owners. But your puppy really does sound entirely normal (excepting the eating issues, which need to be addressed by the breeder or a veterinarian.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 05:43AM by summer.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 03:27PM

Say ten Hail Marys that someone has compassion!

Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 05:12PM

Not on here they don't!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 06:13PM

Have you taken care of the puppy yet?

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 02:56PM

ARE YOU F'ing SERIOUS???

You are acting like a toddler. People on here have TONS of compassion, as evidenced by all the advice on how to handle the situation with the puppy.

Grow up and take some responsibility for your life.
Your behavior is alarming. Compassion does NOT equate to enabling, which is what you seem to be looking for.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 02:03PM

gettinreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ARE YOU F'ing SERIOUS???
>
> You are acting like a toddler. People on here
> have TONS of compassion, as evidenced by all the
> advice on how to handle the situation with the
> puppy.
>
> Grow up and take some responsibility for your
> life.
> Your behavior is alarming. Compassion does NOT
> equate to enabling, which is what you seem to be
> looking for.

I agree completely. Crazy horse is sounding eerily like another person who came here with that exact attitude. We tried repeatedly to help, and the person insulted the hell out of us. Big time. Took up an enormous amount of time and space. Was abusive and triggered some of us. None of us need that.

Date: September 09, 2018 06:10PM

Many of us have sympathized with your family situation and the death of your dog.We have offered advice too, but this time there is another life involved and you do not seem to care.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 03:06AM

Maybe a goldfish would make a better pet or would it be too much work to feed it and clean the fish bowl?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 01:39PM

while I was gone. I don't even want to go look up the original thread. It would be too much for me to handle.

Myself, I have had puppies and I've had older dogs (who I adopted). I'd pick an older dog any day over a puppy. They don't cry all night. They are usually trained.

I did have a difficult time with my tiny dog who had a heart murmur (which I didn't know about). He was only 3.5 pounds and looked like he was slowly dying on the dry dog food they were feeding him. He wouldn't eat. I tried everything and then I discovered that he liked McDonald's (only McDonald's) cheeseburgers and he gained 3.4 pounds and stayed 6.9 pounds until he died. I didn't find out until I had him over a month that he had a congenital heart problem and the vet told me he wouldn't live long. He was quite shocked when this dog lived for 3-1/2 years. He even gave me discounts on vet visits as he was so worried about the dog. He was a JOY in every way. Some people said maybe he would have lived longer had I fed him healthy food, but he wouldn't eat it, so I did what I had to to keep him alive. Sometimes he wouldn't even eat the cheeseburgers.

My boyfriend's dog wouldn't eat when we got her (100 pound German Shepherd and she was 1 year old). I was with her all day, so I tried many things. Shockingly, she only liked to eat out of glass dishes. Her preference is Corelle. Crazy. She started eating.

Date: September 11, 2018 04:44PM

That is one of the strangest dog stories I have ever heard cl2! Don't you wish you could peek inside their heads from time to time? Corelle! All I can think is she was fed from it as a pup or the smell of metal/plastic disturbed her. And if McDonald's cheeseburgers were all he would eat then that is what you do. You do what you have to do.

I used to cook up a special stew for the Border Collies all the time as they were such high energy. Still fed a high quality dry and used it as a topper. These two little ones have done great on dry but they do have their own strange habits. The 10lb Coton will bark till you come to watch her eat and the 5lb Papillon takes a kibble from the bowl, sets it on the floor then picks it up again and eats it. I can't come up with any reason why she just will not eat out of the bowl!

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 05:54PM

Susan, that's funny. My little one will do the same thing. Take one kibble, move a couple of steps from the bowl, put the kibble down on the floor, then take it off the floor and eat it. No wonder he stays so slim!

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 06:11PM

That sounds like something a dog I had used to do, except he'd take a bite of kibble and see what we were doing, then go back to his bowl.

Date: September 11, 2018 01:45PM

My first dog was a gourmet. She only ate people food and even then she preferred being hand fed.She got over it whem we got another dog andmshe had to compete. Because of the age of this dog, I suspect he cant handle dry food yet. Appaently no one is taking any responsibility for him.

Date: September 14, 2018 01:57AM

The dog needs to go to a rescue and not back to the breeder.
The breeder sold this poor animal down the river of this freakshow of a family. Already their selfishness has ingrained patterns of anxiety in this dog that someone is going to have to undo.
Unless the dog is eventually euthanized for bad behavior.
Or someone has a tantrum and smashes the dog against the wall.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.