Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kentuckycrimson ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 01:09PM

I'm applying for another Federal position, this time in Idaho :). I'm applying for both Boise and Heyburn, which is in the Twin Falls/Burley area.

I've been checking on apartment rentals (not interested in buying a home at this time,) and haven't found too much in the Burley area.

I was wondering if anyone would share their knowledge, experiences, etc. on apt rental availability and other things about both areas. I know housing in Boise costs a lot more. Being an ex-Mormon, would I be hassled a lot about that?

Thank you for your responses.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 01:27PM

Burley is pretty scary and rural. SE Idaho is also more Mormon (Utah's armpit some will say).

IMO, if you have a choice, pick the bigger SW Idaho Boise area which has more to do.

You can drive down to SLC from Twin area if you want bigger city amenities though.

I moved from Idaho Falls to Alabama but will be moving back to SE Idaho when I retire. The biggest thing I will miss after living in the South is the foliage. I'm not looking forward to moving back to sagebrush and Mormons but hopefully worth it to be involved with grandchildren's lives.

I'm convinced a person can be happy anywhere if they have a job they enjoy. Idaho offers a lot and is reasonable economically. I hope the best job opens for you.

Date: September 09, 2018 01:56PM

Where in Alabama? I presently live in Enterprise, work on Fort Rucker.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 02:17PM

I'm up in Birmingham.

My job is with a big pharma health care global corporation (don't get me started). I travel quite a bit out of Atlanta or BHM.

It's been nearly 10 years in Alabama which has been interesting.

I've felt like an anthropologist on Mars both in the corporation and in Alabama. I am grateful for the different perspectives and experiences I've had here.

I never thought I would end up back in SE Idaho. That's what happens when your kids put down roots and they want you to be part of their lives I guess.

I think you are smart to rent so you can take some time to assess the new job and area. I don't know a lot about the rental market there. Good Luck!

Date: September 09, 2018 04:15PM

I totally understand. I'll be going to UAB sometime in the future to have my gall bladder removal surgery done.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 05:25PM

I grew up in Idaho and Magic Valley area (Twin Falls metropolitan area haha). I vote for Boise 100%.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.