Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 01:49PM

What About OCD???

pretty sure ocd is more common to the lds...

just sayin'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 02:42PM

This applies to Type II diabetes only:

Type II diabetes in an ACQUIRED condition (it is not something someone is born with), which develops gradually if a person's body has gradually become impaired in its ability to process blood glucose.

Hence: Lifestyle (including diet most importantly, and also including exercise of the strength-bearing kind) is central.

Since the typical LDS diet is extremely heavy on "easy carbs" (flour, sugar of all kinds, honey, etc.), it "supports" the development of Type II diabetes.

The healthy alternative to the LDS diet would center around whole grains instead of flour, little or no added sugar to anything, a small intake of honey [which is a healthy food, but not if used too much, or by people who cannot process it properly], legumes, and lots of fresh vegetables of different kinds and fresh fruits (in moderation, particularly with the more sugar-bearing fruits), plus a moderate amount of milk and cheese, plus (optimally) fish of the healthier kind (salmon/sardines/anchovies, etc.), plus seeds and nuts of various kinds (not including peanuts).

If someone, for any reason (such as they, themselves, are not Mormon, but their diet is more Mormon because of the area they live in) eats a Mormon diet as I have seen it described on this board, then if--for any reason--they have a proclivity towards developing Type II diabetes, a Mormon diet will both hasten the onset of that diabetes, and will continue to act negatively on that person's physiology, inevitably making any existing Type II diabetes problems or proclivities worse.

Diabetes can kill. When I got married at 17, I was at that moment preparing to become a widow because my husband's diabetes (developed when he was serving overseas in the Marines) was so bad. Before we married, I was counseled that I WOULD become a very young window, and that all decisions we made (about finances, etc.) needed to be made with the expectation that I would, within the following ten years AT MOST, be a widow. He actually did live about twenty years longer than was expected (we had divorced during that time), but he still died young.

He was, alternatively, both vigorously opposed to changing his standard American "junk" food eating habits, and acquiescent in doing so because he had received new information about his blood markers. He did well when he was eating healthier, and did lastingly more poorly when he was not. (In other words: steps "backward" were permanent, even as they were becoming his new base markers.) I have lasting memories of him doing his daily insulin injections, and of the times when the needles broke off during the process.

My personal opinion is that the SMD (Standard Mormon Diet) can both cause Type II diabetes (over time, and possibly since that person was in utero), and also make Type II diabetes worse. Some of the food stories I have read during my time here on RfM have caused me to physically cringe with "Yuck!" reactions, because of what I know not only "can" happen, but what WILL, in the future, inevitably happen for at least some people--those who are predisposed to Type II diabetes for any reason (genetics, stress, not-optimum in utero nutrition, etc.).

I personally believe there is a genetic component to this (my first husband's mother died from Type II diabetes when he was twelve years old), and I also believe that proper diet can both ameliorate Type II diabetes, and also--effectively--get "rid" of it, at least for some people. (My mother was diagnosed with diabetes when she was growing up. Her doctor recommended what was, back then and in that place especially, a seemingly bizarre diet by Oklahoma standards, but that is what she ate, and over a period of two or three years she "outgrew" her diagnosed diabetes. It never came back, not even when she became "end-stage alcohol[ic]" (the term written on her Death Certificate) in her later years.

According to the accounts I have read here, the LDS-culture "standard diet" is about as far removed from what I know for a fact to be health optimum as it is possible to get.

Yes, I believe that the LDS-culture Standard Diet is both related to, and CAN, also, be a cause of diabetes.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 06:51PM by Tevai.

Posted by: Aaron ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 06:36PM

I think it is more of a Scientology thing. They have that book, Diabetics by L Ron Hubbard.

Date: September 09, 2018 06:46PM

Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...it is more of a Scientology thing. They
> have that book, Diabetics by L Ron Hubbard.

I am confused. What does "it" refer to?

I can't make sense of the sentence if I think of "it" as Scientology, or diet (of any kind), or diabetes.

Would you please clarify?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 09, 2018 06:50PM

Hubbard wrote Dianetics, but poster changed that to Diabetics.

Date: September 09, 2018 06:54PM

[|] Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hubbard wrote Dianetics, but poster changed that
> to Diabetics.

Thank you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.