Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:55AM

For those who have resigned, when did you accomplish it? Are you glad?

I was thrilled! It was one of the happiest days in my life.

To those on this board who claim I'm a coward, afraid to resign. No. It happened long ago. The police phoned SLC and they admitted it.

Unfortunately, the harassment continued until the police encouraged me to spray them with the garden hose which I did. The police chief also sent a letter to the bishop, the SP, and the MP. He told them to call off their lackeys. A black and white police car with two officers hand delivered the chief's letter to the bishop.

That's a short version of the story.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 10, 2018 01:30PM

If so, "man up" and admit you're wrong.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 02:27PM

Cheryl: I do not know your story, and never claimed to know it. But even now you are vague about the process of your resignation. But whatever it was, I will gladly acknowledge your courage, and retract any impression I left otherwise. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that whatever the process was, it was right for you and your family.

But, what I will not acknowledge is the absolute falsity of your arguments in the other post. That is what I challenged. When you suggest that formally resigning from Mormonism is irrelevant or unnecessary; or worse somehow gives in to Mormon authority, I take issue. Such a stance encourages people to postpone, or set-aside, the general moral mandate to disassociate oneself with false and immoral organizations.

The reality is that you are either a member of the Church or you are not. There is not a lot of gray area. That determination is made by the social, cultural, and legal standards that are in place as related to that organization. In this case, "resigning" means formal resignation.

As we all know from this Board, formally resigning from Mormonism is often a difficult, challenging, and sometimes life changing action. People are naturally looking for reasons not to do it, or to postpone it; for the sake of the kids, the marriage, the parents, or whatever. Without setting myself up as a moral authority in every situation and context, I would suggest a simple moral default position; if you discover that you are a member of an organization that is false and immoral, you should do whatever is necessary to distance yourself from it; i.e. by resigning--formally and definitively. Any facts or circumstances that suggest contrary actions should be evaluated very carefully, and not cavalierly invoked for the sake of convenience, or especially by kidding oneself into thinking that it doesn't really matter, or that the moral high ground is somehow served by resisting formal resignation. In my view, your arguments in the other post presented precisely the wrong impression on this issue, which is why I spent so much time refuting it.

That is all I have on this topic. I wish you the best.

Date: September 10, 2018 02:32PM

You are obviously not a friend and are not a very pleasant conversationalist.

My book is linked as a free service from RfM on the main page of this site . Or you can buy it on Kindle or Amazon.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 01:56PM

I have loved the Garden Hose Classic for years.

Date: September 10, 2018 02:36PM

I'm thinking of you as fully recovered and happy not to have medical appointment almost every day of the week.

Congratulations.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 06:50PM

a closed book. I hope it stays that way. I have a final appt. with my Radiology Oncologist some time in October or November. The daily radiation thing - interrupted as it was by a bout of c. diff. - was tedious. But if it has made the cancer into history, that is a worthwhile investment.

DH took a virulent dislike to my primary-care oncologist. She is of Asian-Indian (as in Calcutta) background, and while she didn't seem objectionable to me, she struck him as aloof and dismissive. Fortunately, I don't have any more appointments with her.

Date: September 10, 2018 06:56PM

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 06:59PM

January. Yes it was a good decision.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 07:26PM

Once I became convinced that Mormonism was a cult that did much harm, I needed and wanted to resign. I have been resigned for a number of years now dating to the time when it was necessary to take a number of steps to make it happen....I wrote my own letter, had the letter notorized and sent it special delivery.

For me, resigning was freeing, making a statement, and rather a maverick action back then. I felt both proud and brave. It wasn't a choice for me to just go inactive as I had been inactive for a number of years.

Am I glad I took this step? Yes. It did affect relationships more than I envisioned it would and this has been difficult; resigning definitely brings a finality and a brisk statement with it that members find offensive where just being inactive doesn't.

I am of the opinion that this is a private decision that each person must make for their own reasons. One size does not fit all.

Posted by: kj not logged in ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:22PM

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:40PM

April 6, 2000. The sesquicentennial of the 1830 founding date.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:59PM

March of 1991. They subsequently held their court of love in June. Of course, did not attend. Received another invite to return to cult about 10 years ago. Probably precipitated by the fact that I moved into a different ward/town. Ignored that one too. Have had the missionaries stop by twice.

First time I was pretty rude to them. Last time I engaged a bit and they fled of their of their own volition as I light hearted and explained that I too had served a mission, was the first assistant to the MP and gave them suggestions to check things out more and invited them to come back to chat and hang.

The Moe's in the town pretty much stay clear of me. I am now nicer an willing to engage but the word is out that I won't/don't pull punches when it comes to religion.

Posted by: Gatorman not logged in ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 08:28AM

July 20,2018 st 0320 in the morning. Hit the send button and relief ever since..

Gatorman

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 01:03PM

My resignation was completed a couple months ago. IMO, I could no longer,in good conscious, be part of an organization that was founded on fraud, deceit, the occult, and killing (MMM,Danites). After reading Blood of the Prophets, I saw a connection between the penalties and oaths that John D Lee and his henchmen made and the penalties and oaths in the endowment sessions prior to 1990. It's a good feeling to be out and considered a "non-member". Resignation isn't for everyone, but it's something that I felt strongly about doing.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 01:10PM

About 5or 6 years ago. I said I'd never do it because I wasn't going to jump through their hoops. Then I decided to do it to draw a line in the sand for my daughter. It was a lot more freeing than I ever thought it would be. It has been one of the best things I've done for myself. I've never had one moment of regret.

Date: September 11, 2018 03:42PM

I see it exactly as Presleynfactsrock stated it. I was a huge relief to me, but I don't think anyone needs to resign unless the idea appeals to them. Also, I don't care a bit if they don't resign and complain endlessly about harassment or any other issue connected with not officially quitting. In my mind it's 100% up to each individual to do what suits them. No one needs to explain.

Who does need to explain? The TBM mormons who claim that non-believers must turn in a letter or be harassed and called cowardly, lazy, or filled with anger or any other negativity. Getting out of a cult can be very difficult and those still in it have no right to pretend they are not to a huge degree responsible for making it as bad as possible.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.