Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:42PM

So, if I haven't had enough to deal with, I am now in the middle of a bullseye for a massive hurricane to make landfall where I am living here in Eastern NC. Keep us southeasterners in your thoughts especially us in the Carolina's. This will not be pretty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:43PM

Best of luck, Kativicky. You and your family and friends are in my thoughts.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:52PM

My best thoughts are going out to everyone who is in this current hurricane zone.

I hope all of you are as ready as it is possible to be.

Hope all goes as well as it possibly can for you, and your family, and for everyone around you, kativicky!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 08:54PM

Good thoughts. I've been through a few hurricanes in Galveston. They're not fun. Good news is the computer models show that it will only be a CAT 1 by the time it hits. Lots of rain and strong winds, but not catastrophic. Go to the liquor store before they run out.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:49PM

This is good news.

Bunker down!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 09:24PM

Batten down the hatches, stay somewhere safe, and ride it out.
You'll be in our thoughts.
Let us know if there's damage you can't handle, and need more than thoughts, ok?

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 09:45PM

You are in my thoughts and I'm sending out good energy to you and yours... its really scary for you so I hope nothing happens..

I'll be waiting to hear from you ... Hang on and like hie said,

"batten down those hatches" .

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 09:55PM

Watching weather reports. Scary. And yes, we feel for you all the way from up here in western Canada.

Be safe. All our best to everyone down there.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:14PM

Prayers going up.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:23PM

Are you evacuating, Kativicky? Even Maryland officials are rather antsy over this one. We're anticipating coastal flooding.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:41PM

Central VA, here. I'm heading out of town. Going to Cumberland MD where I understand it will rain--but should still be beautiful and I haven't been there before.

I just can't stare at the trees waiting for them to fall for 20 hours straight again.

Good luck to all my Mid-Atlantic compatriots.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:44PM

You will be in my thoughts along with several dear friends living in NC. Stay safe, evacuate if necessary.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 12:44AM

Anyone whom you may stay with inland?

I so wish we could come and get you!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 04:14AM

Kat, in SC here, just waiting. The coast is evacuating today. Schools are closed. ((((Hang in there, kat))))))

Date: September 11, 2018 12:49PM

So I am heading over to a friends house later on this afternoon and might be heading south to Florida if the husband feels that he needs to leave. He is like Daddy and is only willing to "get out of Dodge" if necessary. It would be suicide if I stay at my place since I live in a trailer as old as I am and I am 35. Things are looking grime and I am holding on by a thread especially since I am not 100% physically able to do much for myself anyways. Evacuation orders are definitely in effect here. Forecasters are expecting landfall Thursday night/Friday morning between the Cape Fear/Wilmington area and my neck of the woods which is in the Cape Lookout/Morehead City/Beaufort area. If I can make it to the weekend, I can say that I even made it through a major hurricane a little over a month out of having my hip replaced to the long list of things that I have had to deal with the past 2-3 years. For my follower East Coasters, stay safe. Everyone else, keep the good thoughts coming.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 03:23PM

We will be eager to hear from you after this whirling monster has gone her way.

Date: September 12, 2018 05:45PM

Landfall might be slightly later, Kativicky -- perhaps midday on Friday. Do take care!

Date: September 11, 2018 07:40PM

Evacuate while you still can. The news reports are dire.

Date: September 13, 2018 01:48PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2018 01:49PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 07:51PM

Still praying.

Date: September 12, 2018 05:51PM

I am at my church which is a nice sturdy brick building. Some of us will be hanging out here for a few days. It is slowing down for a Friday landfall and it is looking like it is going in a little south of me which isn't going to make much difference since the storm is so large.

Date: September 12, 2018 05:55PM

That sounds like a good place to be. When the storm hits, move away from rooms with windows. A hallway is a good area. Or any room with pipes in the walls (my brother, a retired builder, said that interior bathrooms are the place to be when a nasty storm hits.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2018 05:55PM by summer.

Date: September 13, 2018 01:07PM

Hey everyone, things are going good so far. Winds and rain are picking up as time goes on. We are still have power here at the church which is good in terms of hot meals, running water, and A/C. Been playing a bunch of Uno with the people that I am sheltering with and having a lot of fun. Not sure when I am going to be able to update next but will do so when I am able to.

Date: September 13, 2018 01:49PM

Be safe and take care, young lady.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 13, 2018 01:52PM

The storm seems to have slowed in direction and storm speeds. Just think, Zionologists are hard at work applying the science of Zionetics!

On a serious note, my mother, a Christian Science practitioner, once noted that a hurricane on the Connecticut coast shifted direction as she was praying.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 03:08AM

Hope you can keep us posted. It is not the place to be. My niece has evacuated to GA. No saying how far North this monster will go. Sounds like they have done all they can for the nuclear plants.

Date: September 14, 2018 07:51AM

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 12:00PM

and they evacuated to Fayetteville.

They run a small community newspaper. My father is worried that the newspaper will not be able to go to press. That's important to him because in the late 19th century, a white supremacist mob burned the newspaper building to the ground during this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_insurrection_of_1898#Wilmington

Thirty years later, those of my family who stayed in the area (my grandfather had moved to Pennsylvania by this time), built a new building where the old one used to be and restarted the paper.

Last night I said, "Dad - I'm sure the paper is insured."

My father: "Yes, but they have to get the paper out. People need the paper."

I'm not sure what's happening with my family in the Tidewater region of VA. Chances are they stayed. They've lived on and farmed that land since our ancestors were slaves.

Climate change is happening, and it doesn't care if you believe in it or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 02:08PM by Beth.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 10:44PM

That's a cool story about your family and your father.

Date: September 18, 2018 11:33PM

I don't know what the building looks like, but I still look for it on the news. Crazy.

However, my aunt's home was on TV during Sandy, so you never know...

Date: September 14, 2018 06:50PM

"My father: "Yes, but they have to get the paper out. People need the paper."

That is a true newsman :)

Date: September 14, 2018 10:35PM

Date: September 15, 2018 06:44PM

Date: September 15, 2018 07:14PM

The weather in central Maryland was ridiculously nice today. We were all expecting the remnants of the hurricane, which will evidently arrive Sunday to Monday. We are sending good thoughts to our southern neighbors.

Date: September 16, 2018 08:49AM

Hey everyone, I am doing great. I have moved from the church to a friend's house who lives a few doors down from the church. We lost power about 5:30 Thursday evening after going on and off for an hour or two. My friend and I got power back on about 8:30 yesterday so I got a nice hot shower and a good hot cup of coffee.

It will be a few days before I can get myself home. Most of the roads that lead to my place are either flooded or blocked off because of debris. My landlord was able to go over to my place Friday to check on a neighbor who stayed put and said that there was a limb on my roof but there was water over the road before you get to my place so they were unable to see if there is any damage to the trailer. For now, I am being well cared for and I am going to be okay.

There is a lot of flooding everywhere in North Carolina. Places are flooding that I never seen flood before. I know of three people who already lost their homes due to the storm. The steeple at my church came down during a tornado that came through at 2:30 am Friday morning which was scary sounding as the metal part of the steeple hit the metal roof as it came down. Luckily it didn't puncture the roof so the damage is minimal.

Date: September 18, 2018 10:42PM

My Wilmington, NC folks evacuated to Fayetteville near Ft. Bragg. Looks like there will be major flooding there in the next few days. My father hasn't been able to reach them. :'(

Would appreciate some good vibes if you have any to spare.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 11:09PM

You’ve Got them Beth. I’m scared to death for my friend just north of Willmington. They stayed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2018 11:09PM by sbg.

Date: September 18, 2018 11:32PM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 18, 2018 11:52PM

Sending every good thought for safety for all of you.

Every good thought and every prayer.

Date: September 19, 2018 12:02AM

Date: September 19, 2018 06:18PM

Sending good thoughts their way, Beth. I know that the Army is sending in additional soldiers to Ft. Bragg to help with the recovery efforts.

Date: September 19, 2018 11:23PM

I am finally home. I got back last night! I have a couple of minor leaks, one in the master bathroom and one in the foyer area of my trailer. I also have a limb on the roof but that didn't do any damage though. I have a lot of limbs down in the back yard and I lost my clothes line because one of the limbs fell on top of it. I also lost alot of food out of my fridge and freezer because of the power being off for so long. This is insignificant in comparison to what many others are having to deal with. I know at least 4 people who themselves or have someone in their families who have lost their homes completely. North Carolina is strong and we will rebuild.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.