Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:26PM

In our ward they are no longer calling it missionary work. It is now called "The Gathering of Isreal."

Lets see how that evolved of the years.

In the church as I grew up we used to prayer for the "honest of heart who were looking for the truth." That did not work.

Then they tried the Golden Questions."What do you know about Mormons? Would You like to know more." That did not work.

Then it was prayerfully consider who to give a Book of Mormon too. That did not work.

Then it was invite a friend into your home for family home evening, etc. That did not work.

Then they gave up and now have started to encourage members to prepare and help in the Gathering of the Tribes Of Isreal.

Whats next?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:30PM

Has Israel been notified?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:32PM

No. They're all Gentiles.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 10:33PM

That must chap their hides!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:51PM

Yep. I'm not Jewish and it chaps my hide. My Jewish friends don't like it, but they discount mormonism for the cult that it is.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: September 10, 2018 11:41PM

Not sure where Every Member A Missionary fits in with the Gathering of Israel. Back when I was attending, Every Member A Missionary was used by the leaders to make you feel guilty if you made the mistake of thinking you were doing OK with the gospel stuff. It was always a good topic to make sure you knew that you really weren't really measuring up.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 05:01AM

Yes, Pinky. And tomorrow, the world! Hmmm, Nelson has a resemblance.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 07:18AM

Under ETB, it was all about flooding the earth with the BoM.

There's always a "one size fits all" gimmick that the church is using.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 07:55AM

Barf!

Gathering for the last days are they? That "Last Days" and "Chosen Generation" tag line has been used (worn out) for the last ten generations. Did my generation, which used to be the chosen generation, get relegated to the unchosen generation?

Gather to their heart's content. Those newly gathered will be soon gathering at the local watering hole when they check the internet and discover what a cult is.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 08:56AM

Each permutation appeals to a small segment, and Mormons believe that when something New comes out, it was inspired.

Nothing New? Then why have/ need living prophets?

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 08:59AM

Gathering of Israel, that's a real crock! They go to Bolivia and shed a tear, then on to Guatemala, and gush how wonderful and how much luv they have, but I don't see any Momo GAs going to El Paso holding signs that read "people without borders", "we are all immigrants", "Jesus was an illegal alien" and yall come right in and we'll hand over our schools, houses, grocery stores, hospitals in Salt Lake because we luv refugees.

It's all hypocrisy.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:23AM

Mormons love to come up with new names for the same old...excrement (e.g. "free agency" was replaced with "moral agency") or give new meanings to existing terms (e.g. "translate" used to mean taking writings from one language to another, now it means "look at a magic rock in a hat" or "stare at papyrus and make stuff up").

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:41AM

Remember when they changed "brainwashing" to "correlation?"

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:51AM

:)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:37AM

The gathering of Israel? Wait till my Jewish friends hear about this! They actually find Mormon appropriation of their culture to be hilarious. Well, to a point. Some of them find it insulting while most are laughing their guts out.

Date: September 11, 2018 10:41AM

Get out a pocket knife and ask them who wants to be circumcised first.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 11:07AM

Either way, I call it "lovebombing" or "overly 'nice-ing' someone into one's 'special group'."

I do agree with the "Every Member a Missionary" being used to guilt others. It made me feel guilty at times.
Going to relief society and the combined third hour meetings were uncomfortable, because every class they would ask people to share their "missionary moments." I would get uncomfortable, fearful that I would be the only one without one.
But my thing was, "If someone wanted to know more about the mormon church, they can just ask me. If they want to visit, they can just approach me."
I'm definitely not going to shove a book of mormon in their face, or my religion down their throat. I never liked the thought of that. I wanted people to respect my (then) beliefs, so in return, I respected theirs. These days, I'm on the Agnostic route, but I still like to be respectful of people's beliefs.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 12:46PM

Throw up a new roadblock in front of clear communication and see if more people want to join. (I don't think so.)

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 01:41PM

A nevermo perspective: in the real world, the overwhelming majority are unaware of all of these programs. And don't care.
Don't even know whether it's Mormon or JW or what at the door.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 02:30PM

It wasn't until after I married a Mormon that I realized that the people I rudely shut the door on were Mormon and not JWs. Mormons weren't even on my radar, and I assumed it was only JWs who did door-to-door proselyting.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 01:47PM

SEcular Priest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whats next?

Your ward has been chosen to move to Jackson County Missouri.

Date: September 11, 2018 02:09PM

Don’t make your handcarts out of green wood and don’t start during football season.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 04:29PM

So this must mean they are launching the expedition to the polar ice cap? Isn't that where the lost tribes of Israel are living? Under the ice cap?

Fascinating!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 04:41PM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So this must mean they are launching the
> expedition to the polar ice cap?

I think that is the Enoch launch pad area.

Date: September 11, 2018 04:59PM

Picture missionaries waving orange batons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.