Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 02:52PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/09/11/elizabeth-smart-kidnapper/

Unbelievable. This nutcase, as part of her plea agreement, was supposed see the prison psychiatrist and attend counseling sessions. She did neither, and she gets paroled? I usually disagree with Ed Smart. I think he exploited his daughter's ordeal for financial gain. However, his statements in the article are right on the money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 02:55PM

According to FB, she completed her sentence and was not paroled. I can't vouch for it though as I can't find the article. Seems like a short sentence if true.

Date: September 11, 2018 02:59PM

Yeah, they ran her Federal and State sentences concurrently, which was a poorly written prosecutor decision. But, part of her sentencing agreement was that she work on her mental health. She didn't. That alone should have got her extra time.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 08:40PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, they ran her Federal and State sentences
> concurrently, which was a poorly written
> prosecutor decision. But, part of her sentencing
> agreement was that she work on her mental health.
> She didn't. That alone should have got her extra
> time.

The whole idea of serving sentences concurrently is absolutely bizarre, and I'm not sure why it was ever allowed in any case. It's like back in the days of elementary school. If you owed your classroom teacher your lunch recess for something you did or didn't do in the classroom, and then you threw a carrot or some other projectile in the cafeteria, causing the lunchroom supervisor to detain you for the entire lunch recess so that you couldn't report to your classroom imediately after eating to serve the recess that you owed the teacher, you were in twice as much trouble. There was no such thing as sitting out recesses concurrently back in the day.

This is all hypothetical. I'm not necessarily speaking from personal experience.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 03:20PM

So they let her out among regular people??? Terrible!

Date: September 11, 2018 03:30PM

My guess is that she will be back in jail or possibly dead in a few months. You can bet she'll be on the police radar. I'm wondering if she's very sick. Utah County is in debt over spending 1 million dollars for medical treatment for a child molester that hasn't even been to trial yet. Maybe this is a way to avoid another situation like this?

http://www.kuer.org/post/inmates-medical-bill-approaches-1-million-utah-co-undersheriff-sounds-warning-other-jails#stream/0

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 06:14PM

I'm regular?

Date: September 11, 2018 06:26PM

Oh, Hell no. She may be nuts, but they'd never allow her around you! :)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 11:06AM

Shoot!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 03:34PM

I just hope she is monitored.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 05:45PM

Why does this feel like they are "washing their hands" of her? They can't get compliance and can't do much about it. Let her go. She's over 70, how much trouble can she get into? Well, a lot, actually, so we'll wait and see what she does after she is out in about 10 days.

Date: September 11, 2018 06:04PM

Maybe she could get a job fixing Ed Smarts roof?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 06:20PM

Crazy people usually don’t belong on the street, but put her in Provo. She’ll fit right in.

Date: September 11, 2018 06:27PM

That may be the most accurate statement posted on the internet today.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 06:06PM

I hope she (all released prisoners) have family and/or community support to avoid future probs.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 06:29PM

It's my understanding that someone has to guarantee the released prisoner has a place to stay. Hopefully, she will be OK.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 08:48PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/09/11/elizabeth-smart-kidnapper/

>>Elizabeth Smart says it is ‘incomprehensible’ that one of her kidnappers will be freed next week

>>The parole board initially denied Barzee an early release date in July, declining to include her eight years in federal prison as time served on state charges and setting a new hearing for 2023.

>>Smart said Tuesday’s reversal by the Utah Board of Pardons left her “surprised” and “disappointed.”

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 10:48PM

...she'll get her own show...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.