Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mykidistrans ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 11:33PM

It's been about two months since my child came out to me, and now she's coming out to the family...some via FB posts. Yikes!

I'd told her that I wouldn't out her to anyone in the family. I wasn't expecting coming out via social media. After the FB post, I've been helping manage the family's reactions but not much. Here's an example.

I call my father about once a week. My dad always asks how my child is doing. Dad is on FB, but he's mainly there to share genealogy stuff. I told my father that my daughter is trans, and my father said he was surprised BUT there are so many people who come out later in life that he thinks sooner is better than later.

After I regained consciousness and verified that the person on the phone was in fact my father, he asked me what name to use, and I told him her new name and that it's cool to go back and forth between names until we get used to it.

According to Dad, one of my brothers emailed our father and told him to look at my daughter's FB page. I'm not sure if my father did, but he's kind of a quiet guy. My takeaway is that Dad is supportive, but my brother might not be. I let my daughter know that Granddad is onboard. They've talked since, but the matter did not come up.

I have another brother who is close to my daughter's age. They basically grew up together, and they treat each other more like siblings than as uncle and nephew. My daughter called this brother before the FB post. This brother might not be as super duper religious as I had thought because he is totally supportive of my daughter. Good.

I haven't heard about my other relatives' reactions. Her father hasn't responded to a PM she sent him (we're divorced, and she doesn't have his phone number). She chose her paternal grandmother's name as her new name, and her grandmother died a few days ago. They'll (father and daughter) see each other at the funeral. My daughter doesn't present as female at work, and I seriously doubt she's going to at the funeral. Part of me wants to ask her if she is, but I'm afraid I'll hurt and/or insult her. I often remind myself that I have an adult child and I need to let her do the adulting on her own.

My daughter's birthday is coming up. I've jumped on the Korean skin care routine (not all 10 steps, though), and I also love a line of hair products by Shu Uemura. Guess what my daughter is getting for her birthday? Over-priced beauty products consisting of snail goo and whatnot! (I'm kidding about the snail serum - I can't go there - but I am not kidding about the ridiculously expensive and likely unnecessary stuff I bought her.)

She is so so so happy. I think the last time I saw her this happy was when she was eight and we went to Disney World and had every. single. character sign her Disney™ autograph book.

That's the haps.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2018 11:38PM by mykidistrans.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 11, 2018 11:49PM

Your daughter is a lucky kid. Having you as a mother is jackpot-level good fortune, and your dad sounds awesome too.

I'd love to be of help to her if there is ever anything I can do.

No need to reply to this. I just wanted to say how happy your story makes me!

Posted by: What? ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 12:10AM

A man goes to a psychiatrist and says:

“Doc, doc, you’ve got to help me! My wife thinks she’s a piano.”

The psychiatrist replies:

“Ok, bring her in here and I’ll talk with her.”

The man says:

“Are you crazy!? Do you know how much it costs to move a piano?”

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 12:14AM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 12:18AM

This is a WONDERFUL STORY!

I am very happy for your daughter, and for you, and for your family.

Yay!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 02:33AM

Do what is right and let the consequences bury the consequences.

It's probably easier to appreciate happiness when it takes a lot of effort to attain it. Best wishes to your kid!

Tell your kid that it's silly to try to eat cherries with a knife and a fork! Then tell her that I don't know what that means, either...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 05:55AM

It sounds like things are going rather well so far. Your daughter will love the beauty products. When I was a 20-something I used to haunt the beauty bar at my local department store.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 06:14AM

Good for you and it is nice to hear your daughter has love and support.

Posted by: I Am NOT a Mormon ( )
Date: September 12, 2018 01:53PM

Hey mykidistrans! I have a friend who is transitioning. It is going well for her, but she still has some rough moments, so please let your daughter know to be gentle with herself when those times happen!

Also, a little beauty secret that I just found out about relatively recently is The Ordinary. The products on that site are high quality and VERY inexpensive! You might want to try some, as might your daughter. The ordinary Products have done wonders for my skin. I'm in my mid 50's, so my skin is transitioning to cronehood. They have kept my skin plump and smooth. Just a suggestion and no, I don't sell this brand, I just love it. It is sold on line, and they have stores in New York, ans soon Ulta should be selling it.

It's theordinary (dot) com.

Let your daughter know I'm rooting for her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.