Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thanos ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 10:27AM

And I don’t just mean a lingering cough, I’m talking about a woman who sounded like she was dying last week from some cold. And another person who came to church with a dang fever. Or someone who dumped their kid in nursery when they had STREP.

It’s so inconsiderate. You obviously don’t work on Sunday, so just stay home and be a bit less oblivious and/or selfish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 10:30AM

Hey, there are Brownie Points involved!! Not to mention bragging rights!

“Oh yeah?! Well, I’m so righteous, I...”

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 11:01AM

Its the American way!

Posted by: Anon..4 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 11:10AM

Pffft...it's the Mormon way for sure.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 12:50PM

For the same reasons they go to work sick, they feel the need to show the world that nothing keeps them from their duty.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 12:31AM

I had a friend who was like this at work. She would come in when she sounded like a dying tubercular case. On the other hand, she saved up so much sick leave that she was able to give birth to both of her children and still have leave time to spare.

Not me. I took "mental health" days as needed. When I was in the worst office (out of seven, career-wise) of my time in Social Security, I was also trying to survive an abusive marriage, plus being the mother of a pre-schooler with ZERO help from my now-ex. I have no guilt about this. It allowed me to get things done that I couldn't, otherwise (like car repairs or things at home that needed tending on a week-day.) The ex only took care of himself, and even that is stretching it. I had myself and our son to look out for.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 12:54PM

I went to church well, and left sick. That was my last Sunday there. Ever.

Got sick from the lies, bad vibes, deceit, and fraud.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 12:56PM

People who are ill go because they're addicted to church. They figure by going they'll be blessed with better health. By staying home, they may get worse. It's logical fallacy at work - Mormons are very adept at rationalizing and compartmentalizing these things.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 01:28PM

taken up to heaven years ago, would make their kids go to church sick. I had one in my primary class. I felt so bad for him. He was old enough to stay home alone without his parents being there, but they made him go.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 03:42PM

It's completely illogical and silly, but a lot of members believe that God won't allow them to become sick if they attend and demonstrate faith.

I hated Mondays because I usually got sick at church.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 04:09PM

My doctor told me not to take my newborn to church! I took his advice. I don't recall how long I kept the baby home.
The Mormon greeting is shaking hands, which is the best way to transfer germs.
I was never sick until I moved to UT where shaking hands was ubiquitous.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 04:26PM

Church 'is a hospital for the sick', not a 'Rest Home for the perfect'!

https://www.ldsdaily.com/personal-lds-blog/how-to-make-church-a-hospital-for-the-spiritually-sick/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 04:48PM by GNPE.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 06:06PM

One reason they go to church sick is that if they stay home, the cult often sends their spies, formerly known as the home or visiting teachers to find out why they didn't attend.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 06:30PM

...this thread points out the ridiculousness associated with a prevailing mindset; which then dictates an irrational dedication to an authority figure, who then makes an asinine policy based on fiction and fable, which is then disguised as fact.

"Church 'is a hospital for the sick', not a 'Rest Home for the perfect'!"

What next?...Deacons passing out bedpans and codeine cough medicine to the infirmed members?

"Must have Temple recommend for Sched.5 narcotics. Bedpans OK."

"Robitussin on pew three!! 4 Tbsp. ASAP!!"

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 06:30PM

I have had a pinched sciatic nerve. Not contagious.Still I have no intention of going to a meeting that I don't want to attend anyway.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 07:02PM

Mormons go while sick to show devotion or believe that god will cure them if they're faithful enough.

What actually happens is they infect other people with what they have. I am so glad nobody in any ward I attended had bubonic plague.

Posted by: Kristy ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 07:10PM

We had some disgusting people in our ward. I am sorry - it's true. One family brought lice into the chapel, and infected everyone. Another had active Hep C (which is the fecal one) and one come to the ward dinner parties with some nasty habits, another had a roach infestation in their house, and would bring the roaches to church. Basically nasty people who don't give a f*** on one hand and other's who just want show how awesomely faithful they are.

Mormons are extremely inconsiderate of other people.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 12:30AM

Our son brought home SCABIES from his mission, and was kind enough to share it with the entire family. Our dermatologist gave us very effective medicine that killed the nasty little critters, but it was not a pleasant experience. Super-itchy. They burrow under your skin and leave little red lines everywhere they go.

Derm doc said that everyone in the family needed to be treated, whether they showed symptoms or not. We all had symptoms, so it was easy.

Posted by: starbucks ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 07:20PM

We live in a somewhat rural area, and when we were active the only converts that seemed to be attracted to our stake were the fringe of society type. Homeless, drug users, scary as #$%^ people.

They never contributed to the potluck meals, but after I saw them poking and digging at food with their brown nails and oozing sores, we stopped participating in that sort of activity. You get aggravated when you spend $20 on individually bagged chips and juice boxes for the Cub Scouts and the welfare moms with their 4356732 kids scoop up all the leftovers and run to the car like it's a junk food soup kitchen.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 07:39PM

because they literally think their salvation is at stake if they miss even one sacrament. It's a gospel of works. A gospel of shame and guilt.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 07:57PM

IMHO: Beause they are afraid of people gossiping about them if they are not there.

Posted by: Aloysius ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 09:50PM

From the day of my birth until college (approximately 20 years) I believe I was absent from sacrament meeting only two times. Once when I was 6 and had the chicken pox (everyone else went to church without me. I stayed home alone for the full three hours.)

The only other time I recall is when I was about ten years old. We were making a 1,500 mile drive and my parents got the time wrong in the tiny town we were passing through and they gave up. In case you were wondering, we had to wear our Sunday clothes the entire day on Sundays, even when we spent the whole day in the car.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 10:28PM

There is no blanket answer to cover all the reasons why people

come to church sick. Different people come to church sick, for

different reasons.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 17, 2018 04:51AM

Well, there are a few reasons the sick Mormons have in common--they don't care about other people!

I think Mormon bullying is the main reason! Do you remember when you tried to stay home from church and your callings--for even the best reasons? The Mormons always were nasty, and treated me like dirt, especially if I wanted to stay home with a sick child. They always demanded that I find a substitute, even if there were only 4 kids in each primary class, and could easily have been combined. Mormons are inflexible. Illness and emergencies cause deviations from the strict norm.

Some parents in our Utah ward would lay down their sick child on the pew, under a blanket, with a pillow, like a little sickbed. Oh, the poor little darling.

I had to quit teaching primary, because I would routinely teach on Sunday, and get sick on Wednesday, then I would give it to my children. I taught the teenagers, after that.

I had to take a leave of absence from my job, to have several courses of 6-week hospital treatments. I was in extreme pain, but was able to drive myself to the hospital. My job was great, and kept my office and position open for my return. The Mormons were not nice at all, and said if I kept my callings, God would make me well, and if I did not keep my callings, God would withdraw His blessings, and I would get sicker. I had several people say this to me. The chorister said for me to bring a barf bag. She said she had done that, when she played to organ, and had the stomach flu. Give me a break!

Illness, like poverty, is a sign that you are less deserving of God's favors. Mormons have no sympathy for weakness. They use the old, failing GA's as examples. "Endure to the end."

I used to make my kids go home--one block away--if they had to go to the bathroom during church, but it didn't help. We always got sick. I think the sacrament is a major source of germs.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 03:48PM

My parents were so convinced, and maybe rightly so, that their absence would be catastrophic to the meetings, that we kids went sick or stayed home alone. My mom especially, never missed church because she was the only organist—or the only one dumb enough to donate 5 to 7 hours a week on top of her other callings.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 15, 2018 07:19PM

For the same reason that they go to work sick (when they have sick days that they could use, and adequate coverage,) or send their kids to school sick. I've had plenty of days when a student has arrived at school obviously sick, and has had to be sent to the nurse (and subsequently home,) immediately. I don't know what parents can be thinking. It is immensely difficult to watch a young child cry from the distress of not feeling well, when that child could have remained in the comfort of his or her own bed.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2018 08:30PM

I didn't see this until almost a month after you wrote it, Summer. you may never see my reply, but anyway . . .

My wife used to complain of parents who brought their sick kids to school, feverish or maybe throwing up, and waited with them either in the office or the classroom (which is better than seding them sick, then having to come back for them, but still -) just long enough to expose everyone else to the germs. The parents would wait until after attendance had been taken to ensure that their kids were marked present for the day, then take them home. There had been perfect attendance prizes in the past - trophies, a water slide trip, or whatever the parent-teacher organization came up with. The parents tried to circumvent the intent of the rule by bringing their sick children to school just until roll had been taken. It got so bad during one flu outbreak that the principal sent home letters and made announcements in all the classrooms that no perfect attendance awards were being given.

My wife has [a relatively well-controlled and mild form of, though we've almost lost her twice due to related issues] cystic fibrosis and had to quit teaching in the middle of a school year because of the sick kids who continually showed up for school.

Posted by: moremany-NLI ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 12:13PM

'Church' makes them sick.

M@t

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 02:49PM

When you see this call the local Health Department. You can do so and be anonymous. Gets better results if you are in a more populated area.

They will send someone to a church meeting if it is open to the public. Definitely if it is any kind of Food venue - even a ward dinner. Commercial food places get real fast attention.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 09:55PM

Because being on ones death bed is not a valid excuse for staying home....at least some of the walking dead in my ward as a child led me to think that.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 11:05PM

Nothing signals great virtue, sacrifice, commitment and dedication like insisting on going to church to fulfill your calling (as a teacher, speaker or whatever) and partake of the sacrament, even though you are miserably ill and excreting pathogens out of every orifice. The point is to get points...as in brownie points, whether in heaven or from church leaders.

They probably show more dedication to their callings than they would to a job as a firefighter or sentry duty during a zombie invasion. That kind of nuttiness is not natural. But it can become second nature after years of indoctrination with idiotic stories about people who received miraculous blessings as a result of "keeping their commitments". The tall tales of Paul H. Dunn, among others, contributed greatly to these weird notions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.