Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SUSIEQQ ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 11:56AM

Serious question about resigning. My husband (almost 50 years inactive) plans to resign using quit Mormon dot com ;) It has come to my attention, that the cult has my information and that of my adult children as well. I am a nevermo and obviously my children have never been blessed, baptized or attended any sort of Mormon event, but the last time the cult came to my door, they knew my name and my children’s names. In the past, they always asked if I was “Sister Q”, to which I honestly would reply “no” because I am not a Catholic nun nor have I ever used the title “Sister” in any capacity.

My husband has just one sister who somehow became a TBM in spite of the fact that his parents were not practicing for most of their lives, but succumbed to family pressure to baptize their children. Every time my SIL has an event - temple wedding etc., or is in town, she sends someone from the cult to our home. It has become quite frequent because all her kids are of marrying age, going on missions etc. She vehemently denies this and acts all offended when I accused her of this. I told her to leave us and my children alone, and now only my husband has any sort of relationship with her. As a result, she is now “love bombing” my kids on social media, comments on all their posts with little hearts etc. It is very obvious what she is doing.

So, my question is this – do I and my adult children need to “resign” as well or will it suffice for my husband to as he is the only one ever baptized? Will our records be erased from the list that they tell me we are one if he resigns?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 12:12PM

Only your husband, the member, needs to resign. Unfortunately, the church collects data on everyone that is part of the household; including non-member spouse and unbaptized children.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 12:17PM

I think instead of trying to deal with the lying aunt, you should send a letter to the bishop and copy the SP and MP. Say that you will contact the police about this harassment if it ever happens again.

Then do go to the police next time. Tell them you want to file an official complaint and send copies to whoever harasses you again and the "leaders" mentioned above.

Mormons are very embarrassed about police or media finding out about their antics. This worked for me after I resigned and I think it will likely work for you.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 12:40PM

I think both m.goop got it right.

LDS thinks collecting records on as many people as possible is their mission.

U might also specify that you Demand that no 'dead work' be done on your behalf...

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 01:13PM

Your husband is the only one that needs to resign. The church has your information, but it's not likely you will be much interest to them once your husband is out.

Side note, your husband made a wise choice with that website. I used it for my resignation and it was the most painless thing that I've ever done regarding the Morg.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 05:33PM

I resigned from the mormon church and continued to receive phone calls and visits from locals for many years until I filed a police report and mailed it to the offending local mormons. No other members of my immediate family had attended, been baptized or shown any interest in the mormon church.

If a relative knows people in a ward where their kin lives, they can twist arms and continue contact as long as they have energy to pick up a phone and breath in their body to plead and threaten.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2018 06:09PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 06:40PM

The next time they knock on the door say "High, come on in. sit down. This Bud's for you!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 10:58PM

Every family member has to resign for themselves. Its not a

family package that enitles the bearer to a free pass out of

the church because their mother or father resigned.

When I resigned and got my letter it didn't address my children

or my husband, it addressed my resignation and the fact that I

was no longer a member. They don't give group resignations

merely because the parents resigned. Sorry!!! you have to do

it on your own, seperately.

Posted by: motherkate ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 11:29PM

If you never joined the church, there’s nothing to resign from. You can try to ask to have your name removed from their records but I’ve never actually heard of that being successful, except maybe in Europe where laws about personal privacy are more strict. I would suggest that when the Mormons come knocking, which they inevitably will, to either not answer the door or tell them you’re not interested and not try to engage in any discussion with them at all.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 14, 2018 11:39PM

You and your children can't resign from something you don't belong to. In this case, only your husband needs to resign.

Posted by: another oldie ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 04:23PM

My little smarty pants granddaughter is turning 8 this year and I recently cautioned my daughter (looong inactive) to be prepared for door-knocking Mormons trying to baptize little SmartyPants. She was incredulous. I said, "Bet me." We have a six pack riding on it...
I'm thinking Guinness.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2018 06:08PM

Can anyone else get in on this sure-thing action?!?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.