Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 03:27PM

Notice the Deseret News makes no mention of his religious affiliation.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900033067/insurance-agent-stole-22-identities-to-forge-life-insurance-applications-police-say.html

However, this crook did the same thing for 87 policies in Colorado 3 years ago. From the story;"Nebeker is accused of obtaining personal information for most of the fraudulent policies through his involvement with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Loveland, court documents show"

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2018/04/26/man-accused-taking-fellow-church-members-information-writing-write-fraudulent-life-insurance-policie/551328002/

Someone should start a website "LDScrooks.com"
There would be enough stories from Utah alone, to keep the site active.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 03:44PM

Too bad this time of crime doesn't get captured (pun) on video. He'd earn (pun, ugh!) a lot of hits on YouTube "stupid crook." compilations.

You idea for LDScrooks.com is good. Name could use a little work. How about, "I'mAMormon(Crook).com?"

Date: September 22, 2018 04:52PM

The thing that gets me is, most of these mormon crooks get a slap on the wrist, a small fine and probation. If there was a gang of Baptists or Catholics, in Utah, preying on gullible mormons, You can bet church leaders would be yelling "Religious Persecution" and calling for mandatory jail time. But in Utah, judges actually cry when the jury finds a mormon "decent family man" guilty, and has to sentence him. What about all those years the guy lied to his bishop about being "honest in your dealings with your fellow man"? That alone should get him kicked out of the church, but here, it gets him an easy penalty.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 05:30PM

If the convicted has been an honest tithe payer, then the church resists to punish the sleazeballs. However, I agree that they should be kicked out for being dishonest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2018 06:28PM by messygoop.

Date: September 23, 2018 02:38PM

He probably lied when answering, "Are you honest in your dealings with your fellow man?" He could likewise be lying about his tithe.

Date: September 23, 2018 03:54PM

Yeah, but in Utah, the mormon grapevine rules. Judges, cops, DA's, etc. all can find out with a phone call whether the crook is paying tithing. Now, a "full tithe" may be a little harder to prove/disprove. There are no secrets in Utah.

Posted by: Exminion ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 04:52AM

So...it is against the Mormon rules if members don't pay tithing on stolen money.

Date: September 24, 2018 10:37AM

That about sums it up. In Utah. Any other state- they throw the book at them. But here, as long as you're paying and attending, there's a different justice system.

Posted by: badam2 ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 10:48PM

That's why Utah scares me. Mormonism infects the justice system. Not sure but Idaho may be as bad as Utah though.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 05:16PM

..."No, wait!! This particular system has the newest software that will also thwart the most pesky solicitors.....you know, like those JW and Mormon missionaries!! With your purchase of this system, we can guarantee that you will NEVER see another Mormon missionary again!!...and that includes us....for warranty work, refunds, or any other product related reason!!!"

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/12/us/12coldcalls.html

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 05:47PM

...the biggest problem with these Church-based MLM's are that prior to their house calls, they have somehow obtained the Ward lists. So, they know the most vulnerable seniors, and Ward members with whom they interact; explaining how hard it was on their Mission, and how they are just trying to make ends meet with this temporary gig. I tried to physically restrain my HP FIL, who fell hook line and sinker for this smooth-talking ex-missionary who somehow had gotten my FIL's Church history. It was like an old reunion. They talked for hours about his wartime exploits and how he became a HP, and it was good to go. He signed the contract. 2 days later, an install team came over to do the deed. After trying to explain the programming and use of the master control panel, my FIL said to me "You do it!" I said "No, you do it....YOU NEEDED this thing! I said I had a .45 under my bed if I need it...I didn't need some electronic POS!" I called the JO back, and said come get this thing, or it will be out in the street...big hassle!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 22, 2018 05:22PM

Mormon fraudster is a redundancy.

Date: September 22, 2018 05:39PM

Well, in Utah, you have mormon fraudsters, but to be one, you also need mormon suckers. I'd say it's about 60-40 with the 60% being suckers.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: September 23, 2018 04:27PM

Willie Sutton, when asked why he robbed banks, famously quipped, "Because that's where the money is."

If someone were to ask Nebeker why he defrauded Mormons, he might reply, "Because that's where the suckers are."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 12:36AM

One can assume that if he approached you because he knew you were BIC, learning that you'd left the church would be a big, clanging bell to him that you might not be the sucker he'd assumed.

Nothing says "I'm too bright to be swindled" like leaving the church behind.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 02:05AM

John Dehlin did a really informative podcast with a SLC attorney that specializes in fraud in Utah. I will see if i can find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jayJ3R4pj3k

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 11:14AM

Nebeker was the name of one of our dearest LDS neighbors when I was a young child in Pocatello, Idaho. I can vouch for Nebeker as an established Mormon family, at least throughout the Morridor. They get around!

:)

Date: September 24, 2018 12:28PM

You're right. And a lot of them have infested the insurance business in Utah, Idaho and Nevada. After getting busted in Colorado, you'd think that would send up red flags in the industry and keep him out of the biz. But, not in mormondumb.

Date: September 24, 2018 02:22PM

Street criminals even return to the same neighborhoods after serving time. They know the in's and out's. A criminal law instructor of mine liked to emphasize, "Remember, you're not dealing with rocket scientists here."

Date: September 24, 2018 10:21PM

No, I understand that criminals return to prime target grounds. What I don't understand is why companies don't do due diligence and hire proven crooks. Any other state and he'd be blackballed.

Date: September 24, 2018 10:45PM

I have no website creating skills. Getting on rfm and typing is about all I can do with the internet.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 11:04PM

What a loser this fraudster.

Date: September 24, 2018 11:08PM

Everyone wants to emulate a certain fraudster in that state.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.