Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 12:44PM

The scouting program will come to a close at the end of 2019. However, the boys and girls camping programs will remain a vital part of TSCC indoctrination programs for its youth ....

"On Friday, church leaders released two short statements about what its revamped "children and youth development initiative" will look like and made it clear that camping will play a central role.

"Camps and other outdoor activities have always been and will continue to be a prominent part of gospel learning, building relationships, and strengthening faith in Jesus Christ," the first statement said. "Children and youth may participate in Primary day camps, Young Women camps, Young Men camps and high adventure activities. Local leaders, youth and parents will identify and provide outdoor activities that invite spiritual experiences and meet the needs of their children and youth."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900032939/mormon-church-says-boys-girls-camps-to-stay-part-of-latter-day-saint-youth-programs-when-scouts-goes-away.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 12:46PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 24, 2018 01:17PM

Nuthing like a good old fashioned fast and testimony meeting around the campfire ... one of the best indoctrination techniques TSCC has for its young minds. Breed em young. Indoctrinate them even younger ..

;-)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 01:43PM

I'm sure that there will be additional bishop-child interviews; can't send them to camp if they're not worthy.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 01:43PM

Oh goodie. Because church outdoors is just as exciting as indoors.

I feel bad for the church youth. Scouting was nice because I met people outside of the church.

The vice grip tightens.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 24, 2018 01:53PM

There won't really be church outdoors.

No camping will occur over a saturday night.

Got to have all the kids home so they can do church on Sunday.

Who'll pass the sacrament if the kids are gone?

Date: September 24, 2018 02:42PM

Are you saying that camp will only be held from Mon-Sat?

That figures.

We did have fun at girls camp when I was a teen. Freezing cold baths in cold running streams. Funeral for a mouse, someone played Taps for, who brought a bugle. Hikes and cooking around a campfire.

Hikes were enjoyable. I loved looking for wildflowers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2018 02:44PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 07:30PM

I had young women leaders who hated camping. We usually stayed in lodges. It was nothing like Scout camp. Stake camp was the worst.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 08:28PM

British Girl Scouts just expelled leaders who oppose transexuals in bathrooms and showers.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:50AM

And your point is ?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 08:43PM

Addams Family Values

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 08:50PM

Well it's probably a good thing. Camping can teach a lot of important survival skills. Cooking outdoors, dutch ovens, grills, food prep, how to start a fire.

these are all important skills to know.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 08:53PM

But surely there are apps for all of that!!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 10:50PM

"Survival skills" are reading, writing, mathematics, and science, not rubbing two sticks together to start a fire.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:12AM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:15AM

Then just use the land line.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 08:57PM

Yea, that ‘burning the cobbler in the Dutch Oven’ merit badge was killer

Date: September 25, 2018 09:11PM

According to our camp leaders my first year at girls camp, there was a killer storm years before that had killed one or two camp leaders and several girls taking shelter under a tree during a lightning storm. Lightning struck the tree and went down through the roots killing all those taking shelter there.

The reason they were killed that day was because? They hadn't said their prayers that morning before starting out on their hike.

The freak storm came up out of nowhere taking them by surprise. But it was the absence of praying that brought it about, not simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So the morning we started out on the same hike as the fateful one years before, there was a lengthy prayer service to be sure we were protected on our way. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for praying. But it was rather unnerving to have that story repeated time and again as to the power of prayer.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 09:20PM

Hiding from lightning under a tree is the same as any other form of suicide.

Date: September 25, 2018 10:04PM

For teaching survival skills, that is one big no-no that I believe we were taught as young as grade schoolers.

Date: September 25, 2018 10:06PM

Right after I wrote about this, we were hit with a huge rain and lightning storm. I'm waiting for the power to go out any minute.

:)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 09:18PM

The Boy Scouts was the only part of Mormonism I truly enjoyed. It got me away from my father and his idiot Mormon buddies. We had church meeting in the woods on Sunday. Other than the official prayers the forest meetings were casual and short. I learned real life skills. I learned real knowledge about real things. It was flat out playful at times.

I trust that the Mormons will replace it with something ugly and useless. That way it will suit them.

Posted by: motherkate ( )
Date: September 25, 2018 10:58PM

I did love girls camp as a teen. Some of my only good memories during that time are from camp. It was usually the one big activity even the inactive girls enjoyed participating in. I wanted something similar for my kids so starting at nine, they go to a Methodist Church camp for a week every summer. They also do scouts. My boys do Cub Scouts through one of the only non-LDS packs in our area, it’s also the only one to allow girls in which I like. My girls do Girl Scouts instead, even though they could do Cub Scouts. And the leaders for both are actually parents of scouts, not some random member with a calling (I worked with a guy who had two toddler girls and was in charge of the Weblos, which just didn’t make sense to me).

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 12:11AM

I was called to be a young women's leader so I could help supervise the girls camp. I was quite surprised that camping for girls was in a cabin with electricity. The girls were told to bring curling irons, make-up, pillows, etc. I'd never been camping like that. Then we had to sit through a preparation class to teach the girls that their number one duty in life was to get married in the temple. A huge poster of a couple in wedding garb was placed in front of the podium. What did that have to do with camping?

Luckily, I had a change of job position and left town before I had to go through with that farce.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: September 26, 2018 02:15AM

Oh, and, by the way, the cult plans to hang onto all that land used for those few weeks of "camping" each year. Tax-free, of course.

As I mentioned 1000 times before, my little girl was molested at a Mormon church campout, while she was asleep in her sleeping bag. She screamed, and there were witnesses, but the bishop threatened the kids not to tell anyone. If anyone snitched, all future campouts and activities would be cancelled, and it would be THE SNITCH'S FAULT, and everyone would hate her/him.

The bishop's ugly, creepy son was the perp.

If your kid begs to go to Mormon camp--you go along WITH them!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.