Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 08:22PM

I learned this in Seminary when I was 15. I wish I could remember the quote and where it came from.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 08:26PM

Nawwwwwww. I was always doing my homework in Seminary.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 08:31PM

Nawwwwwww...but Brigham Young prophesied the advent of the "Elevator" by leaving space in the SLC Temple for them!!!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 09:05PM

Gee,I thought he also predicted .... radio.....television...space travel....etc.!

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 09:11PM

I was taught that BY was suppose to have forseen all the traffic coming, hence the planning of such wide streets in SLC, which actually aren't that wide.

It's funny because if you go to the oldest surviving section of town, called Capital Hill, marmalade, which is the old pioneer 19th ward) the streets wind around and are tiny. So I don't know that the pioneers really were thinking of making wide streets.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 02:24AM

to turn around without blocking traffic.

Related article:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705316561/Salt-Lake-streets-have-seen-many-changes-over-past-150-years.html

"Shortly after the Mormon pioneers arrived, Brigham Young directed that the streets in downtown Salt Lake City be wide enough for a wagon team to turn around without 'resorting to profanity.'

"Over the years, those streets have maintained their 132-foot width."

It's always important to remember that Brigham Young was a practical businessman and organized crime boss who found it useful to pretend to be a prophet. When SLC was established, they had all the space they ever could want. They were aware of the messy horse, wagon, buggy traffic in old cities in the east that had haphazardly grown out of small settlements.

Brigham Young had big plans for commercial activity in downtown SLC and didn't want traffic nightmares to slow things down. Deliveries would have to be made. Supplies would have to be supplied. Visitors to the city would have to be impressed.

Large delivery/freight wagons in the day of horse-based transportation actually required more lateral space and turning space than modern automobiles.

Just another case of Mormons trying to make the unremarkable seem like a miracle.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 09:13PM

NO.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 11:32PM

I seem to recall JS teaching about people dressed like Quakers who lived on the moon but I don't believe he gave us a phone number for those folks.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 05, 2018 11:37PM

I am relatively certain that he predicted the Mouseketeers.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 02:21AM

He couldn't have predicted the telephone, because the telephone really happened. None of his other predictions played out.

Date: October 06, 2018 02:51AM

...of Mormon prophets invariably have no detectable value or capacity to positively affect the lives of the members of the church.

Just for example, when Joe Junior was working up his "Word of Wisdom" wouldn't it have been really nice if the Lard had revealed the concept of germ theory to Joe and stressed the importance of frequent hand washing and boiling of water as measures helpful in preventing water-borne diseases such as cholera and dysentery. (Instead, Joe told them to avoid hot drinks, without even bothering to tell them that they could still boil water first and then let it cool down.)

Instead of "inspiring" Joe to buy a mummy and fake a translation of papyrus scrolls accompanying said mummy, why not give Joe a dream showing him the precise method for manufacturing effective antibiotics? Wouldn't that have been more faith promoting than nonsensical blatherings about "Kolob"?

Why does God always ignore his special "prophets" when it comes to delivering information that actually makes a positive difference in the quality of life of his children?

Why does he instead always give this information to people who take nothing on faith, but choose instead to perform experiments and analyze empirical data?

Date: October 06, 2018 02:38AM

Maybe somebody in your vicinity found an old diary entry written by one of their pioneer ancestors.

Probably something like this:

"An then our profut he gots up an he sez to all us what be in atendans, he sez kwote: "I ain't got no charges aginst me yet, but one day they may be charges aginst me on account of my phon..." [rest of entry illegible due to water damage]

The modern TBM in question interpreted this as being a prophecy concerning the coming age of modern telecommunications and telephones. Obviously, according to this TBM, Joseph Smith was anticipating an age when people would own phones and be charged for phone service.

Unfortunately, modern techniques for analyzing old and damaged documents revealed that the last word in the above-quoted entry was "phoniness." The person who owned the diary and had submitted it to the high-tech recovery lab, became so depressed at the result that he remained speechless for the rest of his life, often spending hours alone at night staring at the wall-mounted telephone in his kitchen.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 05:01AM

He doesn't hold a candle to Nostradamus.

No, just no. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2018 05:02AM by Amyjo.

Date: October 06, 2018 08:17AM

I don't remember being taught that in seminary. Although our seminary teacher spilled the beans by letting us know that Brigham Young had twelve wives. (Only 12?)

He actually had 55. J Smith had documented at least 39 that we know of, and he lived a much shorter life than his co-hort, Briggy. Briggy took some of Joe's wives for his own. Eliza Snow was both men's well kept mistress for the rest of her days. Church poetess, hymn writer, 2nd Relief Society general president, yada yada.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 06, 2018 09:13AM

I heard the story of the future elevator shafts in ther temple and also heard the story of Salt Lake streets.

Not much "prophecy" in either one.
Elevators were invented and were in use in eastern cities when the temple was built.
And wide streets were just common sense when creating a new city from scratch.

Date: October 06, 2018 09:44AM

Seminary teachers being only human taught not only from the manual. There are those who teach/taught from their impressions, opinions, perspectives, etc. Until they get called on it, that is.

It's possible that Smith was forward thinking because he was read widely (most of his church teachings were either plagiarized, or taken from other sources.)

Here is a list of Smith's "prophecies," from wikipedia, if that helps any:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prophecies_of_Joseph_Smith

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.