Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 08, 2018 05:39PM

Hm....I'm just wondering if Rusty Nelson is in a snit about the BOM musical. Could that be what this is all about?

"I believe that God has a plan for all of us
I believe that plan involves me getting my own planet
And I believe that the current President of the Church, Thomas Monson, speaks directly to God
I am a Mormon
And, dang it, a Mormon just believes (a Mormon just believes)"

Have they changed the lyrics yet???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 08, 2018 05:45PM

I've the musical three times and the music gets better each time.

I've listened to the original soundtrack lots of time, makes great road music and I don't think there's been any changes in it since winning the Tony.

And if there had been any changes, it wouldn't be because the MORMONS asked them to.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 06:27PM

Not thousands of changes like the original book?

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: October 08, 2018 06:32PM

I just saw it again Saturday (for the third time) and the lyrics were still the same. Hmmmm…but perhaps that was before the M-word announcement. They did change “And I believe Thomas Monson speaks directly to God” to Russell Nelson though.

I went with two never-mo friends who knew very little about the play or Mormonism. I told them that as they watched the play they would probably get a chuckle out of the silliness of how some parts of Mormonism are portrayed. I told them that as odd and silly as it may seem…it is all actual and true. Afterwards they came to me and said, “You were just pulling our leg before. Mormons can’t really believe that they are going to get their own planet…or that God changed his mind about black people…or the Garden of Eden was in Missouri…” I had to tell them that those things, and everything else they garnered from the play was pretty much the way Mormons lived, thought, and believed. They were speechless...and still didn't believe me.

Also, there were a bunch of missionaries handing out Books of Mormon to people as they left the theater. I was thinking how fun it would be to buy the missionaries tickets and take them to the show. The church also still has a full page color ad in the playbill. I bet that doesn't cheap.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 04:50PM

It was interesting, watching people in the theater. Some, you could spot for TBMs. A lot of them looked angry (or at least, offended.) People I guessed were exmos laughed heartily, got the jokes, and seemed to have a great time.

And then there were the ones who looked confused a lot. My guess was that they had little experience, if any, with Mo-dom. If you haven't been there and done that, you aren't going to get a lot of the references.

Posted by: cftexan ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 08:57PM

I saw this in Texas and people laughed a lot, at the parts that are obviously funny.

You could tell the people who were Mormons or former Mormons by hearing laughter during the "inside jokes"....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 09:10PM

The play sticks to the Mormons like glue. It is who they are. Ha ha ha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.