Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 11:18AM

I would think there would have to be some identity crisis going on in their minds. One day Mormon next day who knows what you are called.

This has to be the biggest ego booster for Russ. To change the identity of 16 million people in one statement.whats next?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 11:31AM

Russ and the Q12/GA may see it as a counter measure deterrent to the spiritual assault taking place on its namesake, "Mormon."

Take out the name, deflect the energy from the battlefield.

It's designed to be a spiritual warfare maneuver in light of the negative publicity and bad PR TSCC has been taking. Will it last or work? Dubious, but hey the profits got to try. It's all in a day's work. It's a hit or miss attempt.

It may lead more Mormons out than retain them. Time will tell.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 11:33AM

I don't see it as being a permanent change. Mormons can only deal with so much. It goes to their core identity.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 11:36AM

FKAM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 11:37AM

And now the fundies are embracing the name! Oh, this is working out so well, Russ!

https://www.sltrib.com/news/polygamy/2018/10/10/polygamists-other/

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 10:03AM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And now the fundies are embracing the name! Oh,
> this is working out so well, Russ!
>
> https://www.sltrib.com/news/polygamy/2018/10/10/po
> lygamists-other/

Oh that is so funny!

One thing about the polygamist mormons, they make for better tv shows!

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 12:27PM

this hottie (formally known as a Mormoron) breaks it down for everyone ~

https://youtu.be/wiEhA3QnJEg?list=WL

in b 4 ~ wood plow / 10 ~

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 12:31PM

Maybe they are handling it like this guy tells it.

"Andrew Piereder, lives in The United States of America
Updated Oct 5, 2017

I couldn’t possibly enumerate every reason, but I have been able to determine a few over time.

We scare the hell out of Evangelical Christians. That fear is born both from the strangeness of the Mormon faith relative to their own, and also by its success.

Some Mormons resent the church for how ‘it makes them feel’ about things they want to do that are counter to church moral standards. They don’t want to feel bad, so they project their anger on the thing making them feel bad. It can get very weird at times.

There are some Mormons who, in spite of a life-time in the church, never really grasp what it means to be Mormon. They impose an external system of values on what they see in the church which puts them in continual conflict. They would, for example, see the office of Bishop as ‘prestigious’ and resent that they aren’t offered the calling. This is particularly true for feminists who want to be ‘in charge’. The church and its members are perceived as a personal obstacle to the recognition of their inherent greatness. The concept of entitlement is totally inimical to Mormonism, so they find themselves being ‘ethnically’ Mormon while ideologically something else entirely.

I think the broadest category are Mormons and former Mormons who consider that the church and its members hadn’t met their expectations. They love an ideal and when people don’t measure up to that ideal, they become resentful. Whenever you hear people talk about promises or assert that they’ve been lied to, you are dealing with someone in this category.

Most people, even people who’ve disassociated from the church, don’t hate it. In a lot of cases its simply something they are not interested in and/or don’t value. A lot of these people came back to the community later in life when their circumstances and outlook have changed."
http://qr.ae/TUGWFi
https://www.quora.com/What-makes-Mormonism-and-its-current-structure-so-terrible-to-others-who-condemn-it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 12:32PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 01:06PM

"The concept of entitlement is totally inimical to Mormonism..."

You've got to be kidding...

Date: October 10, 2018 01:34PM

Andrew Piereder obviously lives in a Church of Jesus Christ bubble. In his mind Mormons live their lives as the most humble people on the planet. Everyone is just jealous.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 12:54PM

When I wonder how the true believers are handling erasing the word Mormon, I recall walking by the Primary room and hearing little kids doing that chant "Follow the Prophet, follow the Prophet" like something out of a Stephen King novel.
Some Mormons have let themselves become so indoctrinated that they are unable to recognize how silly this whole 'revelation' really is.

Date: October 10, 2018 12:59PM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some Mormons have let themselves become so
> indoctrinated that they are unable to recognize
> how silly this whole 'revelation' really is.

I disagree. They understand what the word means. They just context switch for religious reasons. To them 'revelation' really is corporate policy changes and corporate positioning.

Just like a vote of thanks mean just thanks. No voting just raising your arm like you really do care.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 01:36PM

Frankly I don't give the south end of a north bound rat about it. SO THERE!!!

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 02:34PM

Does this mean Russ is an anti-Mormon?

Date: October 10, 2018 03:11PM

He is their first anti-Mormon prophet.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 09:53AM

They've tried this kind of rebranding before. Now they seem to have taken it to a whole new level.

But I think the whole episode reveals something far more interesting. This organization is bereft of purpose. They are putting all their energy into a rebranding effort. They don't know what they are about. Why are they doing what they do?

Maybe the fact that so many people like us, who were once their work horse members, are leaving is starting to have an effect.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 12:14PM

Are they still committing suicide over this ?

Posted by: Paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 02:14PM

He said he was a loooong name said he always was

I think it was an identity transfer
Like he is always a (name type of professional skills with corresponding college major area) but he just works being a (name profession again) in a different division or corporation or business again and again its all him being (name profession)
Now he says he’s always been a (the not Mormon phrase) (insert looooong name) puzzled head tilts

When I last used the reference to Mormons It’s as if I asked him if he worked in outer space driving as a rocket man instead of him doing (name profession here for decades and decades and decades ) he just keeps getting better at (his profession) more sought out & like he does not want to be attacked for just doing his job .

I think it’s been an identifier or identification like getting another picture on his drivers license renewal or filling out an additional tax form - filing an addendum on his already existing tax documents /

That’s all he will admit or express to me about not being “Mormon” guess we are fortunate we talk and text occasionally and he will always take my call instantly evening or in his pressured schedule /but I only call with concerns safety scheduling etc check ins .....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.