Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mountainbike ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 09:17PM

A friend invited me over the other day to watch conference, and it’s been a few years since I’ve seen one, so I thought what the heck let’s see if anything changed from what I remember last. Well it came time for the new temple construction announcement to say where the new temples would be built, and I think twelve sites around the world were mentioned.

I know the LDS go all around the world doing the missionary thing, and I thought to myself how does the church decide on where to build new temples? Then it clicked...ah-ha!

The guys in salt lake have data on all the missionaries from around the world, and know how many baptisms are occurring and the rates of such in delifferent areas of the world. Basically they look at how “well” missions are doing and that gives them a good idea of the success of the missions and an inside look into places they probably have never been to in person to get the “demand” for church expansion.

It’s really a genius idea, have young people on their own dime travel around the world for you, talking about what you tell them to talk about, collect data on how they do, and make a decision on if there is a good enough business opportunity to generate enough tithing from people wherever they are. All the missionaries are scouts for the old guys! And the crazy thing is most of the missionariesdon’t realize it, they’re just going along with what they think they should be doing. It’s all about business at the end of the day, and those old guys in salt lake really have a slick scheme to get other people to do work for them and they call the shots with “revelation!” It all comes down to manipulating, control, and trickery at the end of the day to the benefit of the people at the top. And this stuff happens all over the world with people from all walks of life. It’s a way humans have figured out how to survive using other people as puppets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: October 10, 2018 09:31PM

Yep, the TSCC is setting up franchises everywhere it makes financial sense. If you look at the land they own, it is staggering. I like to think of them as the McDonalds of religion.

http://blog.wallstreetsurvivor.com/2015/10/08/mcdonalds-beyond-the-burger/

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:33AM

And their wardhouses are the Motel 6 of church buildings.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 02:00AM

chipace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep, the TSCC is setting up franchises everywhere
> it makes financial sense. If you look at the land
> they own, it is staggering. I like to think of
> them as the McDonalds of religion.
>
> http://blog.wallstreetsurvivor.com/2015/10/08/mcdo
> nalds-beyond-the-burger/

Yeah but McDonald's is getting money from leasing the property. You only make money on the real estate a temple or church is on by selling it. There is no rent income there like McDonald's. On the church's commercial property it does lease some property.

I still like "The McDonald's of religion" tag. It's pretty funny.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 02:29PM

The leadership makes money by taking tithing money and funneling it into buildings built by construction companies they (the leadership) own. I suspect they can only take so much of the tax-free tithing money as salary and the rest they earn from cashing in on church-related expenses like broadcasting, travel, and building construction.

It is a big part of their revenue stream. New buildings are always being built. Once the buildings are built they become a huge write-off by depreciating their value and maintenance and repair (that they also earn money from).

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 05:34PM

It doesn’t get taxed on property used for religious purposes, so it’s a sweet investment.

Is the church a business a religion? That depends. Are the books closed or open?

Date: October 10, 2018 09:52PM

High on a mountain bike
A banner is unfurled

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 09:24AM

mountainbike Wrote:
> The guys in salt lake have data on all the
> missionaries from around the world, and know how
> many baptisms are occurring and the rates of such
> in delifferent areas of the world...

Yeah, but...
Ask anybody who did a mission. The numbers they send in are fake. Made-up. Absolute bullshit.
And the MPs know it. They just don't want to look bad to the big 12 in SLC, so they knowingly pass along the bullshit without even taking a sniff.

Makes it kinda funny, doesn't it: that their whole big grand plan for where to build temples is based on made-up numbers from scared teenagers who don't want to get caught masturbating and sneaking a day off in the park so they make things up?

Date: October 12, 2018 02:10AM

My first mission president was real strict. The more strict the mission president the more the missionaries fake the stats. Haha!

If you have a nice, laid back mission president who doesn't ride the missionaries, I would say the stats are more accurate but that goes along with not having a GA riding your mission president. He get's kicked in the ass and then kicks the missionaries in the ass and the stat book starts getting padded big time.

We said hi to that drunk on the sidewalk. That's a discussion. Put it down in the book.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 02:01PM

Rubicon Wrote:
> We said hi to that drunk on the sidewalk. That's
> a discussion. Put it down in the book.

We used to count our morning trip to the boulangerie (bakery) downstairs to get our baguettes as a discussion, since we said "good morning" to the baker's wife.

Missionaries are the same the world over...!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 11:25AM

I think that temples are used as tithing revenue generators. IMO the church authorities are looking mostly at active and inactive members, knowing that a temple that is closer to a given ward house is more likely to be visited, keeping tithing on track. And a nearby temple will prompt the bishop to harass the membership more about temple attendance. The members who do tithe and attend the temple can engage in "virtue signalling" to their fellow ward members.

I don't think that temples are used as a place to park money because that's more easily accomplished by buying up commercial real estate. Instead, they are income generators.

Date: October 11, 2018 11:45PM

Makes me think of the ancient Greek and Roman temples, and how they were used to keep the population in line. What a crock!

Date: October 12, 2018 02:05AM

I never paid a full tithe but I paid enough to get a temple recommend because without a temple recommend you become the black sheep in the family. Oh there is Uncle Rubicon. Too bad he can't come into the temple with us. I paid a lot of money to keep that from happening.

So I'm sure there are lot's of people doing what I did. Paying just enough to get a temple recommend. So I think it works pretty well for the church. They are continuing to build temples and now I looks like that will the the primary focus.

Temples are the money generators.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2018 02:22PM

I think that it boils down to if the truth and the legend conflict+++ GO WITH THE LEGEND!!+++

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 02:50AM

I think they will stick an ugly temple (acquire land) anywhere they can gobble up precious metals and water rights.

Guess who owns Las Vegas’s water. Hmmmmm ?

The proposed temple in Yuba City of all places makes me wonder how pivotal that area is in terms of CA water.

—-just me a’wonderin’.

Oh, I forgot this was about the missionaries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2018 02:52AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 10:33AM

And why exactly does one need a temple to buy water and mineral rights? Besides, if they had been "inspired" about mineral rights, they would have bought them up in the Bakken oil field in ND 20 years ago. First, you can buy mineral rights there without having to own the land on top, and over the last decade, royalties have averaged around $50,000 per square mile per month, and the average ND farm is five to six square miles. Yeah.

Put the tin foil back in the drawer. :)

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 01:28PM

Where do you buy tin foil?

Date: October 13, 2018 05:44PM

You don’t need to. Just imagine your head wrapped in foil. It comes in handy when you need to block the bishop’s magic power of discernment when he asks if you play with your little factory.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 03:38PM

Bro of Jerry,

I find that a tin-foil hat is a needful thing when puzzling over the motives of Mormonism, and clearly preferably over anti-blunder underwear.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting info on the Bakken Oil Field.

:)

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 06:28PM

The missionaries are the [mis]leader's feelers.
Counting is done at the local level. Numbers!
Numbers are kept on everything and everyone.
Favoritism happens from the top down.
Volunteers ('callings') do the work.
Kids are groomed to be brides or grooms.
They are also sent to their rooms.

Pay to play. It's NOT okay to obey.

Date: October 13, 2018 06:42PM

Wow, that is pretty deep stuff. At first glance it looked like a haiku poem.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 12:28AM

Thanks chipace.

If you saw where I swim - not shallow - you would see it has to be deep.
I appreciate the comparison. I't how I [try to] write, and prefer to read.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.