Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 03:22AM

he played one on TV...and he knew Nelson well enough to know that Nelson was a one-trick pony--the one trick being an obsession with browbeating everyone into reciting the full, long name of the Church instead of using the word "Mormon".

Hinckley was clearly trying to put Nelson in his place in this conference talk in 1990 (yes, Nelson's nagging and OCD on this was apparently getting on everyone's nerves that long ago):

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1990/10/mormon-should-mean-more-good?lang=eng

Hinckley acknowledges Nelson's pet peeve...and then goes on to point out that: (1) it's futile to try to get people to stop using the word Mormon as a nickname for the church/church members; and (2) basically there's nothing wrong with it anyway and, in fact, it's really a good label to have.

Prophet vs. Prophet

In 1990, Nelson was a relatively junior Apostle and Hincklemeister was the Most High Alpha Dog and All-Around Master of the Church, so Hincklemeister easily put the Nelsonator in the dog house. (Reading between the lines, it almost sounds like Hincklemeister was not happy with one of the Nelsonator's conference talks about the evils of the Mormon label.)

But now, the Nelsonator is the Most High Alpha Dog and All-around Master of the Church...and he seems to be doing an end-zone dance on the Hincklemeister's grave. "How ya like me now, gramps! It's my church now! Bye-bye Mormon nickname!"

I was going to say that the Hincklemeister must be rolling in his grave, but my best guess is that he's just steadily decomposing. Be that as it may,the ghost of the Hincklemeister lives on in the nooks and crannies of the Interweb and continues to reject the Nelsonator's pet peeve.

"But I got an impression in my mind!" sez the Nelsonator.

"So what? Your stupid impression was wrong then and it's still wrong and always will be wrong!" sez the ghost of the Hincklemeister.

High drama in low places. Soon to be released as an epic motion picture. Check theater listings for further details.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 12, 2018 03:43AM

about a hundred times in that one talk. I think he was really gunning for Nelson and wanted Nelson to feel like a worm-infested pile of doo-doo.

Posted by: MorCowbell ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 05:51AM

Date: October 12, 2018 06:15AM

He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who wouldn't.

But other than his fixation, the other stuff seems to just be more of the same: Fiddling around with the meeting schedules, announcing more temples...and I honestly can't think of anything else, not that I've been paying close attention. ;o)

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 11:21AM

Got It;
also, no Fist Bump or High 5 (10) from Nelson to Hinckley after that 1990 talk, right?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 11:26AM

King Hink knighted Eyring not Nelson.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 07:17AM

I think there is a lot of evidence that privately, the current leaders have thrown both Hinckley and Monson under the bus. I think Nelson has convinced that all the current problems of the church stem from incompetence from previous profits.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 09:47AM

What a way to hold a petty grudge and finally get even? OMG!

As I've written in other posts about this subject, it seems that given all the problems in the world that God's prophet would have more important concerns.

Date: October 12, 2018 10:26AM

modern prophets not only didn't care, but actually went so far as to celebrate the "Mormon" label and use it for pamphlets, movies, organizations and websites, why does this guy think that his personal pet peeve is so important that he needs to make it official policy now? Does he really think that Jesus is up in heaven feeling happy now that Nelson is trying to twist everyone's arms into using his name more? "Say his name...SAY HIS NAME! Don't make Jesus cry by not saying his name instead of saying Mormon!"

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 10:39AM

I recall TSCC attempting to trademark the word "mormon".
So if they can't trademark it they will not let their members use it ?

Posted by: 2 early 2 log in ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 11:16AM

Great YT video on the Nelson vs. Hinckley cage match:

https://youtu.be/tfkDWgN9kGE

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 11:59AM

Ahahaha!! Thanks for that link! The members formerly known as Mormons must be doing some serious mental gymnastics over this, or just have selective forgetfulness.

Date: October 12, 2018 12:04PM

2 early 2 log in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the Nelson vs. Hinckley cage
> match:

Props to the OP for pointing out that this is the result of a fight where the last to die wins.

Date: October 12, 2018 11:18AM

I'm waiting for Nelson to retract the 2 earrings rule.

Date: October 12, 2018 11:19AM

Good assertion. We can all rest assured Wendy and Sheri had nothing to Dew with this one. Thanks!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 11:35AM

so ....saying "Oh, My God !" is profane,

but superfluously saying Jesus Christ for what ever purpose is just great !!!!

Date: October 12, 2018 11:56AM

smirkorama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but superfluously saying Jesus Christ for what
> ever purpose is just great !!!!

Depends on the context.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.