Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 04:13PM

OK, so the meeting is now 2 hours. How do they justify building expenses. So you have a million dollar building that is used for 2 hours a week.The rest of the time it sits empty. (yes I know it gets some other use) There are so many community groups that don't even have a place to meet, and here sits this massive building.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 06:37PM

Mormonism doesn't justify anything. Not tithing, not doctrine, attendance/ expectations/ callings, nor it's treatment of it's members, much less, the world.

Your guess is as good, or possibly even better, than your guess.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 06:46PM

There's all these scriptures! Mormons have at least twice the content of the bible in 'holy scriptures'!

And what do all these extra insights into the mind of ghawd help the church attain?

Pay, Pray & Obey. Add an endowment and you're good for ghawdhood.

If you're a tithe payer and you sin, forgiveness is automatic.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2018 09:01PM

"So you have a million dollar building that is used for 2 hours a week.The rest of the time it sits empty. (yes I know it gets some other use)"

Well, the one close to me or used by other mormons on my son's youth B-Ball team did NOT...when I asked if I could use the church court (any church court) for practice.

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 03:58AM

What if they used the building for their study groups? lol

Or is that use going to be banned?

so no third hour... but if the wimmin folk came in on Tuesday night to discuss 1st Nephi?

If you look at other Christian churches, ("Christian" thats how the other churches get around that whole nickname thing. They don't need a 500 syllable title.)you'll see all sorts of "ministries", a working mom's ministry, youth ministry, black wimmins ministry, addict's ministry, Chef's ministry, people who liked black panther but think its preachy ministry. They get a lot of use out of the buildings.

I think the MORMON church wants to use the words of mainstream christianity, but they don't want to put out the same way the mainstream churches do. Either they care about the members or they don't. If they cared, then they'd be able to use the chapels that THEY paid for. If they don't they'll say its restricted and that they all need to go to sister so-and-so's house for study time and bagels.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 03:52AM

If you listen to President Nelson he says the church is going towards a home based church. That is the reason they are going with a two hour block.

I think this is a clever way for the church to get out of building meetinghouses especially in areas where there aren't a lot of members.

The focus will be on temples and the more temples they have the more they can pressure members to go. This brings revenue into the church.

The temple now is the primary focus of the church. Not meeting houses. All the church really needs is temple recommend holders. That's the gravy train.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 13, 2018 04:42AM

Since it's all regurgitated (controls, berations, and demands) anyway, it could be 1 hour a week and that would be too much.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.