Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 05:11PM

I understood him wanting to stay in, for srategy purposes if nothing else. Trying to get back in makes no sense to me.

I fail to see how his appeal moves his cause to protect LDS children forward.

I’m feeling like the spokesperson for the cause has lost his way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 05:18PM

He's an activist. Activists stay active...

Also, there is the knowledge that the big changes made by mormonism in the past were the result of public scrutiny.

And we also have the example of the removal of the penalty pledges from the temple ceremony, which came as a result of a survey of the membership!

The church does change, including of its own accord! But until Ozzie & Harriet's bastard son, Russ, came along, it was always because of pressure.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 05:23PM

You have to a peel the skin to get to the fruit.
He has high goals. That's the lowdown. Broken down.
What the elder said above. As above, so below. See?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 05:29PM

It was mostly a pissing contest, even in the beginning, though he may have had some actual hope of change in Church policy. Now it is nothing but a pissing contest, and they own the fire hydrant.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 05:53PM

I'm thinking:

(from what I saw) there wasn't a 'direct' assault on leaders or church "doctrine" (whatever that is, ha ha)

I interpret his efforts - focus on a change of an administrative matter; but unfortunately TSCC can't tolerate ANY outside influence or ideas. That's sad for everyone.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 08:17PM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I’m feeling like the spokesperson for the cause
> has lost his way.

Thank you. Although I am not sure Sam ever found his way.

Sam enjoys the sound of his voice very much. Which is not a crime.

But he does not seem to value the advice of Dr. Dehlin. Those were imo, measured, wise points Dehlin advised Sam upon the announcement of impending excommunication.

Young is no Dehlin and does not show signs of maturation or nor thoughtfulness during this part of his 'activism'.

He cannot accuse the world of not supporting him either. Nor media denying him a platform. The seemingly never ending, 'Sam! You saved the children! Sam! You gave me the courage to leave! Sam! You are our hero!' and the interviews (pun intended) he gave over and over.

Accounting for differences in style (Dehlin, 'Come out for the march! We will have sandwiches!' and Young, 'I am on hunger strike!'), it makes zero sense in terms of so-called cause activism for Sam to beg to be accepted into the church.

It does, however, make perfect sense given the character of this well, character, Sam Young.

He would do well to sit and listen to who is a perfect mentor for him, Dr. Dehlin. Will Sam humble himself? Probably not.

He likely fears that no one, not church, not his wife, not ex-Mo's eventually want anything to do with his confused, contradictory self.

Relevant...gotta stay relevant. 'Please, Big Daddy-O Church! I promise I am sorry! Please let me come back in! If I don't have a Big Bad Wolf to attack, I am just a nobody ex-Mo!"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 08:27PM by carameldreams.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 08:44PM

I guess he sacrificed himself on the alter (so to speak), his mormon connections, and mormon positions, and mormon networks are broken. And he gave it all up for a bigger cause. Sort of like Don Quiote fighting windmills or the impossible fight.

But it didn't sway the hierarchy, They just weren't impressed, and just don't give a damn. He should move on and let another knight pick up the sword against the giants.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 08:57PM

at 'worst' he made a statement; I believe a lot of us make statements Every Day.

might not be the same statement I would make, may not be the same audience, but HIS Statement.

I believe his actions brought this situation to a new, much higher level of awareness that many hadn't previously seen...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2018 09:02PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 14, 2018 09:12PM

I think Young made a very significant contribution. And the notion that the church was not affected is simply wrong: it was under pressure from him that they announced that adults could sit in on interviews. That would never have happened without him.

The struggle is far from over. Staying in the headlines is very important, keeping the issue in the public eye. Over time the church will either end the interviews or pay a prohibitively high price in the coin of member loyalty and convert baptisms.

Stylistically, he may have employed a different approach, but he ranks right up there with Dehlin, Kelly, Eric, and the others who have made, and are making, a difference.

Posted by: readwrite-now ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 12:56AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... the struggle is far from over. Staying in the headlines is very important, keeping the issue in the public eye. Over time the church will either end the interviews or pay a prohibitively high price in the coin of member loyalty and convert baptisms.
>
> Stylistically, he may have employed a different approach, but he ranks right up there with Dehlin, Kelly, Eric, and the others who have made, and are making, a difference.

He's doing good work, ye, the work of 10,000 average lds men.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.