Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 10:54PM

I was reading an old thread about old threads and one mentioned an old thread about the worst Jell-O™ creations folks had ever seen/eaten/made(?).

When we migrated to this new board in 2010ish, we lost stories that weren't either archived by Admin, by cricket, or copied by posters. Back then, threads disappeared from our view and web crawlers after 10 days, and I'm thankful that many of mine went *poof*. Trust.

So, whatchoo know about Jell-O™?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 11:34PM

I remember those days of the jello recipes... some were unbelievablely funny and yucky at the same time but it was
hysterically funny. I don't know if its me or what but it seems
like those days we had alot of funny posts along with some
really serious ones that taught me alot about how horrid the church really is.

Date: October 21, 2018 11:42PM

I miss so many people that were here, and I've met some awesome new ones, too. YES YES we had a lot of fun. Yes, we read about some awful stuff. I'm glad you're still around, especially since I'm off FB and don't see the other folks from Peeping Salamanders. I've moved away from DebbiePA. I miss the hell out of her.

Girl, I think I might be on that wistful aging kick.

I am thankful for so, so much - this board has been, and continues to be, a place of refuge, community, support, education.

And we still have our fights sometimes, so that's good, too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2018 11:43PM by Beth.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 11:49PM

There are some fundamental rules for Mormon jello.
It must be green, with various foodstuffs suspended in it.

Standard mormon jello inserts are shredded carrots, shredded cheese, mandarin oranges, or tiny cooked shrimp.

For the more experimental potlucks, try peanuts, raw sausage slices, fun size snickers bars, jerky slices, M&Ms, tunafish, raisins, ramen noodles, saltine crackers, or hands fulls or wheat kernals from the food storage.

Date: October 22, 2018 12:07AM

I'd heard about the veg, and I think I've seen nevermo orange jello with mandarin orange slices, but cheese? Nonononono

My mother used to make Ambrosia. No god in their right mind would eat this mess.

http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com/recipes/sweets/desserts/ambrosia-gelatin-mold/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 12:07AM by Beth.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 12:38AM

Date: October 22, 2018 12:47AM

Posted by: Are We Having Fun Yet? ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 12:18AM

"Suspended" was the operant word. The salad was a fail, if the ingredients all floated to the top, or sank to the bottom. My mother taught me the special skill of properly suspending the food in the jell-o, without making it appear cloudy.

I can still hear that sucking sound, as the jello fell out of the mold. We haven't eaten that stuff for many years. We heard that is is made out of cow's hoofs, or something.

Date: October 22, 2018 12:28AM

is an animal bone by-product.

You're welcome!

Hey - I've got that sucking sound of Jello coming out of the mold stuck in my head. blechblechblech

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 21, 2018 11:52PM

I'm so glad I met you Bethie and we did peeping together with

all the other guys. Remember drunk dial? God we had some good

times ... Maybe I can get Shakkie to do it again if its

possible. We had such fun. You should come back to all our exmo

friends on facebook. We're pretty much all there.

Date: October 22, 2018 12:11AM

But every time I consider coming back to FB, there's another data breach. It's not worth it to me. I would pay for FB if it ensured that I weren't their product, but I know I'd always be for sale. I'm just being stubborn about the whole thing, even if my efforts are futile.

RfM is my FB!! Good thing I can't post pictures of my meals or spread bad information here. ;-)

ETA: It was like I was live blogging my life instead of living it, you know? I don't think it's a good place for people like me who struggle with filtering their speech and thoughts.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 12:49AM by Beth.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 02:00AM

I actually like the jello recipe with pretzels on the bottom and a cream cheese and Cool Whip second layer. The mixture of sweet and salty tastes good to me.I don't ask my wife to make it or make it myself because it clogs ypur arteries even as you are eating it, but I enjoy it when someone else serves it.

Date: October 23, 2018 09:11PM

Maybe we can suspend peanut butter cups in...in...I have no idea.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 02:01AM

The Gallery of Regrettable Food (Mormon-friendly!)

http://lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

Date: October 23, 2018 09:12PM

How goeth the Commonwealth? Still protecting the commonweal?

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 12:04AM

I go by every chance I get and chase away the spirit. On matters gastronomical, I went by thew Good Dog Bar last week and thought of you.

Date: October 24, 2018 12:14AM

If I ever make it home, we've got a date.

Have you been to Almaz Cafe? I love that place, too. http://www.almazcafe.com/philadelphia.html

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 03:48AM

Bill Cosby was the spokesman for Jello for years. Apparently his favorite Jello recipe is you dumped a bunch of quaaludes into Jello deserts ladies tended to like best.

Date: October 23, 2018 09:13PM

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 09:23AM

The favorite Jell-O of my childhood Ward was grapes suspended in green Jell-O. I always thought that was gross but I seemed to be the only one who thought so.

Date: October 23, 2018 09:13PM

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 06:24PM

My mom made a Jello “ring” that consisted of yellow Jello, with sauerkraut and chopped onion in it, served with horseradish mayo.
Just thinking about it turns my stomach!

Date: October 23, 2018 09:15PM

This might be the, IDK. Sauerkraut and onions‽ Oh my.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 07:26PM

My sister-in-law recently made some sort of mixed berry-flavored jello with blueberries in it for a family dinner. The blueberries looked like and had the consistency of blood clots, so it was rather disgusting. It was easy enough for me just to pass on it, but both of my kids wanted to eat the vile stuff, and just watching them eat it nearly made me ill.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 07:46PM

Thankfully, this dish seems to have gone out of style--and I'm glad to see it go.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 07:46PM

I think the best use of Jello I have seen is the annual passing out of the Jello shots during the intermission of Saturday's Voyeur, the annual fund raiser / biting satire on Utah produced by the Salt Lake Acting Company.

This is the perfect satire on so many levels. Saturday's Voyeur is a satirical take on the name of the popular Mormon musical Saturday's Warrior, about being born in these, the latter days, and blah blah blah.

The building SLAC has is a former LDS ward house in the Marmalade District on the hill west of the Utah State Capitol building. I believe the name "19th Ward" is cast into the concrete nameplate on the building. It has a Russian-style onion dome, reportedly a flourish added by the Church Architect back in the late 1800s when it was built. He was trying to impress some fair young maiden, to make her his plural wife, or so the story goes.

Utah, in an effort to jerk Gentiles around, wrote some incredibly convoluted liquor laws that basically contained verbiage that the only way liquor by the drink could be served was if (a) you bought or brought an entire bottle, or (b) if you wanted a single drink, that could only be served in a "private club", which was technically an extension of your private home.

I know, the private club thing makes no sense, but it was the law. As it turned out, said convoluted law did allow for a business to allow customers to bring their own liquor and consume it. No requirement to have a liquor license or be a private club or anything. The business just couldn't charge anything for the liquor.

SLAC used this loophole to allow, even encourage patrons to bring their own food and drink of choice to Saturday's Voyeur. A well lubricated crowd added to the enjoyment of tweaking the nose of the Utah establishment. BTW, I've been to about 25 productions of Saturday's Voyeur, and have never seen a customer removed for drinking too much and behaving badly.

Anyway, the Jello shots are the perfect nuanced cherry on top for Saturday's Voyeur. Not only do they tweak the Jello compulsion of the local culture, but there is no alcohol in them.

Yes, like everything else in Utah, the Jello shots are fake.

Perfect.

Date: October 23, 2018 09:18PM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 07:52PM

Man, sometimes I miss jello and other mormon high-calorie comfort food. There were a couple of artificially colored and flavored congealed sugar recipes that were standards in our holiday meals and I loved them. I just can't eat it anymore with 60+ year old metabolism. Not to mention, I don't want to make it and nobody in my circle eats it. My mother did the green jello with pineapple and shredded carrots when we were younger, or red jello with fruit cocktail. But it mostly turned into just the holiday specials. Those were really desserts, but if you call them "salad" you felt better about eating it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 07:52PM by NormaRae.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 09:36PM

It seems the more they can make it look like vomit, the better.

Cottage cheese, some shredded carrots, and dots of spam mixed in with green lime looked especially vomit-like. Yum

Date: October 23, 2018 09:42PM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 10:41PM

OK, here is my grossest EVER. You use a big mold. The bottom layer (will be the top) is lime jello with cooked mixed veg. Let that set up then top with cherry mixed with drained, cooked hamburger. Flip the whole mess out and top it with whipped mayo/sour cream.

I swear I saw this eaten in a ward in Tustin CA. I think it was even in the ward cookbook.

Some things are just a crime against humanity.

Date: October 23, 2018 10:46PM

Date: October 24, 2018 08:11AM

Just EEEEWWWWWWW!

Sounds like somebody cleaned out their fridge into a Jell-O mold.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 08:20PM

She made it for all the ward dinners so it wasn't just a one-time thing. It was never the first thing to go but people DID eat it. I did not. Hell no. Lima beans in Jello. No. Just no.

Date: October 24, 2018 08:35PM

Aaaaakkkk! Lima beans. Noooooo.

She probably thought she had a winner recipe for the pot lucks.

Just NO! They will devour anything!

I guess that's not as gross as eating Jesus at church, so there's that.

Date: October 23, 2018 10:48PM

We already know that scmd1 did NOT eat the blueberry blot clots but kinda liked the pretzel jello. Understandable reactions to both.

So, didya eat it, and was it good?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2018 11:15PM by Beth.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: October 24, 2018 07:25PM

Here is my Jello recipe:

1 Get Jello box.
2 Get a glass of your favorite wine, beer, liquor.
3 Throw Jello box in the trash.
4 Look up the recipe for chocolate chip cookies
5 Go back to step 2 and refill the glass.
6 make cookies.
7 Go back to step 2 as often as needed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.