Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 02:56PM

About a overbearing, meddling TBM FIL who is ruining his son and daughter in laws life in trying to drag his son back into the cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 03:07PM

hmmm.... not getting that one right now.. will look later.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 03:11PM

Was just able to tune in. (On a commercial break at the moment.)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 03:17PM

Dr. Phil and LDS Inc. have a lot in common. Both are hypocritical scam artists.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 05:01PM

Why do you say that? Dr. Phil is credentialed, gives good advice, and is usually able to hook his guests up with resources (counseling, in-patient care, addiction care, etc.) that they might not otherwise be able to afford.

BTW, the episode is Season 17, Episode 31, "A Meddling FIL Who Allegedly Trapped His Son on His Compound." The episode description from Zap2it states -- "Jorell and his wife say they fear his father will never stop trying to convince them to return to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and that his father forced him to stay on his 'compound' for several days."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 05:04PM by summer.

Date: October 22, 2018 05:59PM

"Why do you say that?"

Because I grew up in Texas where he was selling "lifetime memberships" for health clubs that weren't going to be in business in a year. Because he had multiple affairs when he was married to his 1st wife and holds himself up as a beacon of honesty. That's why.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 06:12PM

My late wife watched his show. I was always uncomfortable with the endless self promotion he (and his wife) practices. Some of his shows aren't much more than high brow versions of the shit Maury Povich was peddling. He owes his TV career to Oprah. We weren't a fan of hers either.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 05:17AM

Fair enough.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 06:12PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_McGraw

Weight loss products

In 2003, McGraw entered the weight loss business, selling shakes, energy bars, and supplements. These products were promoted on his show with his sisters Deana and Brenda and nephew Tony among the featured testimonials on the show.[25] These products' labels, which carried the brand name "Shape It Up, Woo, Woo!", stated: "These products contain scientifically researched levels of ingredients that can help you change your behavior to take control of your weight." This met with swift criticism from various sources,[3] accusing McGraw (a clinical psychologist, and not a physician) of lacking the expertise to recommend weight loss products. Facing a Federal Trade Commission investigation into Shape Up's claims, McGraw pulled his supplements off the market in March 2004, and the FTC dropped its probe. In October 2005, several people who used McGraw's products declared an intent to file a class action lawsuit against him, claiming that although the supplements cost $120 per month they did not stimulate weight loss.[26] McGraw settled the suit in September 2006 for $10.5 million.[27] Some of the settlement ($6 million) may be paid to the plaintiffs in the form of Amway (Quixtar) brand Nutrilite vitamins.[28]

And this:

Britney Spears "intervention" (2008)

In January 2008, McGraw visited pop star Britney Spears in her hospital room.[53] The visit by McGraw drew criticism from the Spears family and from mental health professionals.

The visit appeared to be part of an attempt at getting Spears and her parents to take part in an "intervention" on the Dr. Phil television show.[54] Immediately after the visit, McGraw issued public statements[55][56] about Spears's situation that Spears's family spokeswoman Lou Taylor said violated their family trust in McGraw. "This is another example of a trust being betrayed", Taylor told Today co-host Meredith Vieira. "Rather than helping the family’s situation, the celebrity psychologist caused additional damage", she said.[57] Several mental health care professionals criticized McGraw for his actions, but fellow television psychologist Joyce Brothers defended McGraw.[58] It was reported that a psychologist filed a complaint with the California Board of Psychology (BOP), alleging that McGraw had practiced psychology without a license and had violated doctor-patient privilege by discussing Spears's case with the media.[59] A copy of the complaint appeared in the media,[59] but there is no way to verify whether or not it was actually submitted to the BOP. The BOP does not disclose that information unless an investigation is opened.[60] Martin Greenberg, a former BOP President, said on the Today Show that this incident was not a matter that the law covers or would be concerned about.[60]

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 02:28AM

I sometimes wonder how much fiction is involved in a lot of these daytime TV shows where bizarrely dysfunctional families go on national TV to spill their guts about things that would embarrass the hell out of any normal person.

Interesting that Jorell's FIL has his own compound. I always wanted to have a compound of my own. Not for nefarious things. But it just seems like it would be a cool thing to brag about. When rude Billy Snott starts bragging about his new mobile home unit in the trailer park next to the river, I would be able to say that I'm not interested in visiting because I'll be busy at my COMPOUND starting a cult that worships pasta and pasta sauce, using fresh ingredients grown on the COMPOUND.

On second thought, it's a bad idea. Nothing good ever happens on compounds and I think they always end up getting raided by the government about 100% of the time. It's like as soon as the media starts calling your government a "regime" you know your days are numbered.

I wonder if they were talking about the Nauvoo "regime" of Joseph Smith back in May of '44.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 03:52AM

Yeah, I find Dr. Phil to be a pompous ass. I used to watch his show only because it often inspired me to write blogs. He's also no longer licensed as a psychologist and is, at best, an entertainer.

Posted by: You Too? ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 01:24PM

Not credentialed. He surrendered it in the middle of an investigation.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 06:55PM

I agree with the above.

Dr. Phil isn't an ethical psychologist. He judges his "clients" and his show really isn't much better than Jerry Springer. But Springer is at least honest about what he's doing. Dr. Phil is so holier-than-thou.

Date: October 22, 2018 07:33PM

Exactly. Dr. Phil is a shyster. Jim Bakker, Donald Trump, Jimmy Swaggert, Russel Nelson, Bernie Madoff and Mitt Romney rolled into one.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 11:49PM

I concur

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 08:02PM

Yes, it is definitely low-integrity Jerry Springer.

There is no way a real psychologist would put troubled people on TV like he does. He may put a lot them in therapy, but that is only after having intensified their problems by exposing it all on television.

First, do no harm.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 02:34AM

I've ever seen a whole episode. But I'm somewhat familiar with the genre...and I can't help having a strong suspicion that much of the stuff that they put on is actually fictional, with actors playing the roles of dysfunctional people. It probably pays reasonably well. Maybe they mix it up half and half. Half the time they use some real people with real problems and the other half the time it's all scripted and fictional.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I wouldn't be surprised if I'm right.

Date: October 22, 2018 07:49PM

I wasn't very impressed with the Mormon father. He automatically assumed his son was psychotic and a pothead because they didn't see eye to eye or agree on religion.

Son was evaluated by local hospital and determined to be of sound mind after dad had written him off.

It was dad who owned the "compound" fortress to prepare for the Second Coming.

You got to really feel for his children. As Dr. Phil said, there's a million plus kids out there who'd love to have a dad love them as much as this guy loves his son. But he is over the top, and needs to back off. Let his son live his life, and he needs to learn to keep healthy boundaries.

He doesn't seem to know how to.

Date: October 22, 2018 08:11PM

Dr. Phil gave that asshole dad a pass. Mainly because Phil's go to therapist is also lds. That was total BS. The dad is a control freak that has lost his command over his adult son.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 09:23PM

"Dr. Phil is not a doctor — but he plays one on TV. Dr. Phil has the cachet of the "Dr." moniker at the front of his name — even though he holds a doctorate in psychology and is not a licensed psychologist."
"Dr. Phil is not a medical doctor. But he is now a paid spokesperson for a diabetes drug."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2018 09:24PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 22, 2018 09:44PM

Phuck Dr Phil.

Date: October 22, 2018 09:53PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 23, 2018 01:50AM

I would not play golf with Dr. Phil.

Posted by: Davey ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 10:06AM

Rubs me the wrong way. Sometimes his "advice" seems logical and helpful, and perhaps some of it truly is - but there are other times when I'm not really sure.

It is great for people to obtain needed resources but going on TV to broadcast them widely seems to be the opposite of professional, ethical therapy.

I find it hard to believe that many people with real serious problems would even want to go on TV to air their issues.

Date: October 30, 2018 03:28PM

"It is great for people to obtain needed resources but going on TV to broadcast them widely seems to be the opposite of professional, ethical therapy.

I find it hard to believe that many people with real serious problems would even want to go on TV to air their issues."

Exactly. It's like people that avoid doctors by diagnosing themselves with Google. What could go wrong?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 04:54PM

You don’t know any attention whores? Well okay, I’ve never seen the Q15 on Dr Phil.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 06:19PM

How common are compounds among members?

I've never known a member that had one.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 03:56AM

The GA Royalty side of my family have several Mormon compounds, except they call them "ranches." Several are in Montana, one in Sundance, one in Orem, one near Kamas, one in Holladay. Several homes are in a cluster in a cul-de-sac type street, with properties extending outwards. One is an entire hill in Holladay. The "ranches" in Montana are summer homes. Most of them have bunker-type bomb-shelter basements, with bunkbeds, filled with water tanks and food supplies. These relatives have been stake presidents, mission presidents, temple presidents, on the General Sunday school board, work in the COB, a Mormon celebrity author, and had other high callings in SLC.

Maybe they're shunning the family members who are poorer, and are not Mormons, because they don't want to share their bomb shelters with the rest of us. That's why compound people have guns--to keep away the freeloaders, in case survival becomes an issue.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 07:55AM

exminion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The GA Royalty side of my family have several
> Mormon compounds, except they call them "ranches."
> Several are in Montana, one in Sundance, one in
> Orem, one near Kamas, one in Holladay. Several
> homes are in a cluster in a cul-de-sac type
> street, with properties extending outwards. One
> is an entire hill in Holladay. The "ranches" in
> Montana are summer homes. Most of them have
> bunker-type bomb-shelter basements, with bunkbeds,
> filled with water tanks and food supplies. These
> relatives have been stake presidents, mission
> presidents, temple presidents, on the General
> Sunday school board, work in the COB, a Mormon
> celebrity author, and had other high callings in
> SLC.
>
> Maybe they're shunning the family members who are
> poorer, and are not Mormons, because they don't
> want to share their bomb shelters with the rest of
> us. That's why compound people have guns--to keep
> away the freeloaders, in case survival becomes an
> issue.

So basically they are preparing to live the Mormon version of "love thy neighbor"...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 01:29PM

> So basically they are preparing
> to live the Mormon version of
> "love thy neighbor"...

Yes! And in the caliber of your choice, I bet!

Date: October 31, 2018 01:57PM

Someone forgot to tell them their sh*t is no different from the rest.

I've seen houses/properties like that for sale before in real estate listings typically in places like Utah. I wonder how difficult it is to sell (move) those properties. By the time they're being sold are typically from estate sales when the owner dies. They're very outdated, overpriced, and need more improvements than most people would want to invest.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.