Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 07:36PM

Apparently A&E and / or Remini felt that the general theme of outing and exposing noxious cults was worth pursuing for third season. The new twist, to keep things fresh, will be changing the focus to JW's from the Scientology.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/18/leah-remini-scientology-aftermath-season-3-teaser-jehovahs-witnesses/

I did not see all of Remini's expose on Scientology, but I did see some of it. It was compelling to me because of the parallels to THE Utah based cult that I was raised in and then managed to escape.

Could THE (MORmON) church be next on Remini's cult exposing hit list ???

( I HOPE SO !!!!!!!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 07:40PM

Personally, I didn't mind her exposing Scientology since she actually lived it.

Doing other JW's or even Mormons, though, smells of her looking for publicity. I would rather have someone who actually lived and breathed those.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 07:49PM

Well, from what I understand they came to her. All three cults have so many things in common I can see why JWs would contact her. We have had them here, on and off, many times over the years.

Date: October 29, 2018 08:14PM

hmmmmmmmmm, maybe some ex LDS/ former MORmONS need to/ should contact A and E and / or Leah Remini

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 08:20PM

Interestingly enough, I was thinking the same thing.

Hopefully, it's only a matter of time before an exmo

comes forward to tell their experience.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 08:20PM

Everybody knows Golf is a cult.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 09:04PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 08:08PM

As long as she doesn't expose golf !!!!! OMG!!!!!

Date: October 29, 2018 11:42PM

ummmmmmmmmm, whats going on with golf ???????

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 12:16PM

smirkorama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ummmmmmmmmm, whats going on with golf ???????

It's a pernicious cult that sucks up your time and money, in the endless pursuit of perfection (the perfect shot/score/round).

It's horrible!

And it's a cult I gladly participate in...:)

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 02:04AM

I’m surprised they are tolerating that. Both Mormonism and Jehovahs Witnesses- both I personally regard as cults or at the very least displaying cult-like attributes- seem too ‘American’ to portray in such a light.

I don’t know if I’m really saying it right. They seem to ingrained into the.. religious Zeitgeist of America, even if they are outlier religions. I mean Scientology is super fucking out their and an obvious scam, it takes no more than reading a few sentences about it to know that. Mormonism and JW’S have a bit more of a complex and layered history with American religion.

Does anyone get what I mean? I’m not defending them. It just seems... risky. There are several million (ish) Mormons and j-wits who are probably just regular people more or less. Scientologists are incredibly fringe. I know (obviously) Mormons and jehovahs witnesses- I don’t know any Scientologists, or even know of any- any who aren’t famous.

I still don’t know if I’m explaining what I mean right. People can walk away from Mormonism, and while I don’t know a lot about jehovahs witnesses, I assume they can do that too, although I understand in some cases a kind of ‘shunning’ takes place. And obviously I know these exits are fraught with problems, but they still don’t seem on the same level as Scientology. Scientology has a massive PR and legal machine that churns out disinformation and a scorched earth policy for ANYONE who leaves their ranks, and people have been known to die or possibly be murdered in their California and Florida properties.

To me it’s like ranking which form of rectal cancer is worse in a sense. They are all bad, but I don’t know that their all cut from exactly the same cloth- specifically, Scientology is a 20th century nonsense science fiction cult, And Mormonism and JWs being a 19th century revivalism flavor of bullshit... cult.

Maybe some of this is wrong and perhaps people won’t agree. I’m certainly open to other thoughts.

Also, with the popularity of her show (Leah Remini’s) and documentaries like ‘Going Clear’, attacking (justifiably) Scientology is fairly vogue. Attacks Mormons and JWs? Like I said, doesn’t seem as safe.

I mean Scientology is like a baby step above the Branch Davidians or Jim Jones. The other two are too big to be like that- now, anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 02:09AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 03:27AM

Most of the big corporate media types already see Mormonism and JW-ism as crazy and fair targets.

Bill Maher has made Mormonism the butt of many jokes and shows.

Christopher Hitchens went after Mormonism quite robustly.

In terms of career safety and physical safety, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being no risk and 10 being high risk, going after Mormonism would be about a 2.0. By comparison, going after all things Islam would be about an 8.5 or 9.0.

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 03:17AM

So after a while it's basically just "variations of a familiar theme."

(1) Start with a charismatic founder who had a special spiritual experience--much more special-er than you ordinary schlubs--with the result being that you'd better listen up to what he/she has to say.

(2) The founder person begins issuing edicts from Gawdawmitee. The effect of the edicts is to (a) increase the authority of the founder guy and his buddies; and (b) require sacrifice, usually in the form of donations of time, labor, skills and CASH to the organization founded by the founder guy.

(3) Inevitably, it turns out that Gawdawmitee wants lots of women (usually it's women) to sleep with the founder guy and his friends. It's like a sacred sacrament or something. "Hey, if it feels so good, it must be ordained of God, right baby?"

(4) Usually the founder guy's ego gets out of control and they start looking for more power and political influence. The cult becomes a platform for launching the founder guy (or his heirs) into more elite circles. The cult members can't come along for the ride. They just need to work hard to make it possible.

(5) Eventually, the founder guy gets into trouble. Prophecies go wrong. Financial scandals emerge. Sex scandals come to light. Political power-plays go off the rails. The founder guy's expiration date has passed.

(6) Then you get the caretakers. They aren't charismatic. They aren't nearly as energetic as the founder guy. But they are the ones who know how to keep the organization going as a steady income-generating enterprise. They spend a lot of time explaining why so many things that seemed to have gone wrong toward the end of the founder guy's life weren't really all that wrong. They come up with interesting explanations as to why the prophecies failed. They establish comfortable routines, publish official-looking books and pretend to give to charity and stuff. Just enough to keep the thing going and keep the donations coming in. The caretakers are best at taking care of themselves and their families and friends.

Date: October 30, 2018 11:26AM

Well said sir.

And as to your previous post, I agree. It’s less risky in the sense of harm to go after LDS or JW cause they’re not so crazy to do what scientologists do to people who criticize them. So yea, you can shed the light, but you’re telling people what they already know or is already easy to find out.

It seems like with Scientology- at least until fairly recently- their were some dark secrets to flush out and bring to light. Most people pretty know what’s up, or if they want to, they can find out.

The risk to me is that one might be perceived as attacking something... more legitimate. I mean, that’s not how I feel. Some might though.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 12:01AM

Wally Prince Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So after a while it's basically just "variations
> of a familiar theme."
>
.....Well done!

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 09:41PM

If the Scientology lawyers couldn't stop Remini from doing this show where are the really famous exmos with enough star power to expose mormonism on prime time? There are more active mormons that the 50,000 active Scientologists.

Mormons have more legal clout perhaps?

Date: October 30, 2018 11:29PM

I guess Aaron Eckhart could get on the program and talk about that BYU infomercial thing he was in.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 08:33AM

I don't think the Mormon church could do anything to stop A&E if A&E decides to cover the cult culture and practices of Mormonism. Our stories need to be told and the Mormon church needs to be exposed for the fraud they are, in primetime. Leah Remini did a good job of exposing Scientology. I am sure she will do a good job exposing the JWs. Hopefully she will have the opportunity to do the same thing for mormonism. I plan to contact A&E to suggest that they do at least one season on Mormonism too. There is more than enough of an resource materials right here on this board if enough of us will step forward. The mormon scam does more harm to more people than Scientology does. The mormon tactics may be less aggregious than those of Scientology most of the time. But the bigger reach of mormonism has caused more overall damage to more people over a much longer period of time. More people will be shocked to see what A&E has to cover when mormonism's secrets show up on TVs in primetime and an uninformed public sees for the first time, things they never suspected from what they thought was a benign organization.

Don't be afraid to tell your story publicly and even on TV if the opportunity arises. It's great therapy and will help to save others from experiencing the same pain that we have suffered. All we have to do is to speak-up. The professionals who make the TV show will do everything else to package and release a final product to the public.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 08:44AM by azsteve.

Posted by: idleswell ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 10:13AM

Leah Rimini switched cults (for her expose) because you can only expose so much shocking material in so many shocking ways ... until there is nothing left to say.

Now she is onto exposing Jehovah's Witnesses. That should keep her busy for a while.

Could someone present a similar program about Mormonism? Perhaps. But in my opinion, the greatest excesses of Mormonism are done by zealots for the faith with only an implicit support of the Church. Because Mormonism stresses salvation by works, few people in Church leadership ever say to an overly oppressive member of the Church, "You're becoming too Mormon." Because that person can find reinforcement for their actions within the "gospel," they are likely to ignore any appeals to restrain, anyhow.

Posted by: cakeordeath ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 11:30PM

I believe from my studies that the Jay-Dubs and the Mawmons are the double-ugly twins of Freemasonry and Protestantism. And Scientology is the two-headed baby from Mars that Elvis promised to Priscilla when she saw Michael Jackson on a UFO.

Cake

It's been a long day, OK?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.