Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 02:56AM

Seeing the name "Korihor" (which I had forgotten for years) reminded me of when the mishies were teaching me, I was diligently trying to wade through the BoM. I thoroughly enjoyed the story of Korihor, and said as much to the mishies.

I remember saying something like, "Now, THERE you have an interesting character. He behaves like real people. There is potential in a guy like him. Couldn't you just see him on Wall Street, in a three-piece, pinstriped suit?"

The mishies were stunned. One of them stammered out, "But he's a BAD guy! You aren't supposed to like him!"

I should have realized that I was already headed in the wrong direction.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 04:38AM

That was a brilliant deduction, Catnip, of Korihor.

The response from the missionaries: priceless.

:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 07:42AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 09:34AM

Satan was the most interesting character in the LDS temple skit.
The Joker was more interesting than Bateman.
Fonzie, the hood, was the most interesting character on Happy Days.
Edit: Miss Piggy -best Muppet :)

I've always thought "Korihor was right!" Would make a great t-shirt slogan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 09:47AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 04:44PM

As a writer, Bro'Jerry, I've learned that a story is only as interesting as the adversary.* We also learn that a hero without a strong adversary falls flat.

*Note that an adversary may, or may not be, a villain. An adversary is a character who presents an obstacle to the protagonist. A villain is an adversary with malevolent motivation(s).

Posted by: bobik43 ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 10:19PM

Back in the '80's, in my much younger days, I had a good friend who left the church and was instrumental in guiding me out. He in turn had another friend who owned a t-shirt shop and he had a few shirts custom made that said exactly that - "Korihor Was Right!" Great minds think alike, I suppose!

I had one for years but didn't quite dare wear it, living in Utah. My friend did though, defiantly and proudly. I can still see it in my mind's eye. Light blue with bold black letters. (He wore another one that he had made that said "End World Hunger - Eat the Homeless" but that's a different story for a different thread.)

That's the same friend who one Halloween made himself a realistic looking temple outfit from bed sheets - baker's hat, green apron and all - and walked around the neighborhood with the trick or treaters. One woman threatened to call the police on him for that!

I'm an old guy now, but I must admit it still brings a smile to reminisce on those days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 10:20PM by bobik43.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 10:19AM

People love the villian, as we witnessed in the 2016 election.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 04:45PM

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 10:26AM

The story of Korihor is so nonsensical that I think that Joe (and his co-authors) just stuck it in there to see who was still reading that far into the book.

Posted by: guy3 ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 03:57PM

Its just like with Rick and Morty. We're not supposed to like a narcissistic alcoholic like Rick. But can't ignore his appeal. I almost want to re read Korihor and see if I see Rick there.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.