Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 03:53AM

When they start doing the interviews and find the ward members have done very little ministering I'm sure quotas will come back. We want you to visit the people on your list once a month. We want you to give them a lesson.

Then you are back to regular home teaching again all because nobody ministered as they should have and they needed some motivation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 04:06AM

So is the Bishop or some other authority assigning names that are to be ministered to or is each member choosing their own targets?

If the former, it sounds like it's just a repackaging of the HT/VT program anyway. If the leaders are making the assignments, they can check up, one way or another, on whether the ministering is getting done.

Sounds like Nelson just likes fiddling around with the label machine.

"Oooh! Let's label this as 'ministering' instead of 'home-teaching'."

"Let's stop using the 'Mormon' label and instead use the freakishly long formal name of the Church as our label or shorten it to something else that isn't 'Mormon'."

"Oooh! Let's stop using the 'gospel' label and start calling it 'bullsh*t'. Ooops! Got carried away there. That new label won't be good. Oh, I know, let's call it the 'Good News of Jesus Christ'. Yeah, that's the ticket. I love having control over the label machine!!"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 05:06AM

My nephew says the Elder's Quorum presidency is making the ministering assignments. He has a mix of active and inactive families to minister to.

So it's like home teaching without the monthly quota and lesson. You are expected to contact the people you are assigned. How and how often is left up to you.

I think they EQ presidency is supposed to do quarterly interviews on how the ministering is going. So typical Mormonism. Got to have those interviews.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 03:48PM

...stop calling it "ministering", and use the more accurate term......"snitching." That is the goal, and always has been. Same as over at the JW's. Same tactic, same goal. Find out who is not totally on board, or who is not obeying the Prophet, and make them get their sh*t together, or there will be hell to pay!!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 11:15AM

what I see, over the last couple of years, among the eccliastical hierarchy is PANIC!!.They haven't a clue as to how to effectively deal with the issues at hand and so PANIC PANIC PANIC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2018 11:15AM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 02:24PM

.....aint it great!!!.....LMAO!!!!

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 03:59PM

DH has had the same HT for probably 15 to 20 years. Nice old guy. He isn't quite sure where he fits in this "ministering" thing, either. DH has been inactive since I resigned, and I think that was around 2005.

We have seen HT/"minister" ONCE since this ministering thing came about. Maybe the church as told him not to waste energy on a household with an apostate and an inactive. HT is at least mid-to-late 70s. He deserves a break. He has been VERY faithful in his duty all these years.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 10:24AM

I was thinking recently about the times I know my parents were happy doing things together. They were few. And honestly, it was their mission and their home/visiting teaching that really stick out in my mind as good times I heard about. I think that's because it was maybe the only time my mother truly felt like a partner, even though she bowed to the "authority" mantle of my dad.

But they had families who were totally inactive but who they had visited for a long time. In the later years they'd go together and it counted as both home and visiting teaching. I think the people they visited really looked forward to them coming.

Over the years I've come to realize that the MORMON church does a lot of good things, albeit often for the wrong reasons. Visiting people who want to be visited or ministered to is a good thing. It can be a really good thing for the people doing the "ministering" also. And if the program works, they might pick up on how to tell when someone really needs some help or just some people contact, as opposed to it being a quota requirement. As long as they take a clue and stay away from the people who request no contact.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 03, 2018 01:45AM

DH's HT/minister (and Mrs HT/minister) took DH out to lunch today. I'm still recovering from a bug and wasn't up to joining them, but was invited. I'm sorry I missed them. Mrs. HT is a brilliant, now-retired educator whom I always enjoy seeing. When DH explained that I wasn't feeling well and was sorry to have missed the lunch, Mrs. HT promised that she and I would get together for a "girls' lunch" one day soon, and I hope we can do this. We stay away from religion. She is very-well educated and can discuss just about anything intelligently. I always enjoy our times together.

After I resigned, I was afraid I would be designated a pariah. A few of the wimpier sisters did, indeed, avoid even eye contact if we met in the store. But not Mrs. HT. The friendship is still there and we respect each other as women of intellect, wives, mothers, grandmothers.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 12:56PM

I agree that this program won't last long. All it's going to take is for several families to complain that nobody is really checking up on them. A bunch of them are cowards. They won't take up any offers from the HT-VT (ministering persons) to help, but they are quick to call up the leaders to bitch and moan that nobody wants to help them.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 04:42PM

It'll last until Nelson dies. Then the new guy will have his own "revelation."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 12:22PM

And the new guy with call it Scripture Memberizing. You will be required to contact your people with a scripture you've memberized once per month and you will be interviewed quarterly testing your memberization skills.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 12:22PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 03:41AM

There is no more home... and everybody has been taught, as they have been taught.

Ministering isn't like REAL ministering, just like seminary and bishops and priests, etc., etc., etc., aren't like the real things they are named after either.

You see,in mormonism, it's "men-I-stir-ring". Therefore, the women have the power. They just don't use it [by staying home with the kids,
or grabbing the balls by the man and taking them out where they belong: AWAY from the dirt and dark and into the fresh and light].

LDS ministering is easy. Gossip-text a joke or question or remark and its done! It's really that easy. It'll still be up around 100-0%

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 12:00PM

Few people would want to see Home Teaching come back, it was such a hassle.

Ministering seems like the easy way out just as long as some Nazi types don't insist on making it another burden.

Date: November 02, 2018 03:06AM

Elyse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
You are speaking AS IF making life suck is NOT a main purpose /component/ aspect of THE (MORmON) church.

> Few people would want to see Home Teaching come
> back, it was such a hassle.

Few REASONABLE people would want to see home teaching come back. Reasonable people very successfully avoid MORmON home teaching by NOT being MORmONS. Reasonable people think that MORmONISM is idiocy. MORmONS live for the hassle of being involved with their MORmON church.

> Ministering seems like the easy way out just as
> long as some Nazi types don't insist on making it
> another burden.

Yah, so unlikely that any power hungry predatory MORmONS in MORmON leadership positions would end up doing that .....since pushing other people around in the name of MORmON Jesus is what they live for !!!!

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 03:43PM

LOL

Date: November 02, 2018 03:08AM

I think it is going to be comical to see just how quickly Nelson's stupid programs are disregarded, discarded and replaced just as soon as Nelson is dead.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 06:37PM

Here in the Tuscalloosa third ward its been seven months since its introduction and i still havent had an interview which was suppose to be at the core of the thing. I just got my assignment a month ago. I have yet to be contacted by anyone claiming to be a minister. I get the feeling that our stake and ward leaders just aren't into it . unless something changes in the near future it is definitely doomed. And mind you this is a TBM talking.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 03, 2018 01:07AM

As long as it remains a mystery

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 03, 2018 03:29AM

It was possibly the end of home teaching. A reluctant ending typical of Mormonism. More things will slide into oblivion as the organization tries to mainstream with Christianity.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 03, 2018 10:45AM

Easy

Grandpa called block teaching

Dad called it ward teaching

I called it home teaching

So about a generation

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2018 11:03AM

You don't really minister to your own flock. You help your flock, but you minister to those who are not of the faith.

That is my understanding of ministering..

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.