Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 01:38PM

Here is another article to read.

http://signpost.mywebermedia.com/2018/10/26/shutting-the-door-on-mormon-interviews/?fbclid=IwAR2F8L8_m_27spy85vrLmKwbxjAWi1hhzN7gTs9A8S1AUwjH9a9R09_uGvU

I guess why this subject hit me so hard is because I had many of those nasty questions asked over and over again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sonja Kelly Benson ( )
Date: October 30, 2018 11:56PM

Poor Sam Young. He thought taking on LDS leadership publicly in the press would make him important and famous.

Now he’s only famous, and barely that, among people the LDS Church ignores anyway.

That’s now how it’s done, boys and girls.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 12:16AM

He did something great. He already forced the church to allow adults into the interviews, he focused the membership's attention on the problem, and he generated a lot of bad press nationally and internationally.

If you want to call that failure, feel free to do so. We'll just note that Sonja Johnson, Kate Kelly, Steve Benson, John Dehlin, and others "failed" just as spectacularly and the church will never regain what it lost in what you implicitly term its "successes."

Posted by: anon2828 ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 12:20AM

Exactly. Success isn't all or nothing. Success can be incremental. Any success is valuable.

Posted by: chipace ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:26AM

+1
The weight of facts against the TSCC is growing everyday. In time only the delusional members will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2018 02:27AM by chipace.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:25AM

Also, I doubt Sam sought personal fame or glory. He seems genuinely to only want to draw attention to the aforementioned issues.

Whether that persists will remain to be seen. Not everyone likes or desires fame and people who feel the need to draw attention to an issue may only become famous as a byproduct of the attention- like I suspect Sam has. The things he’s done are dramatic and attention-getting and public spectacles, but I think he really only cares about abolishing the interviews.

Although that hunger strike was kind of whacky. But you know, it brought a ton of attention to the issue, which is what he wanted.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 31, 2018 02:28AM

Like Tom Phillips, he may decide he's done what he could and fade into the relative obscurity of a happy home life. And if he does that, I will feel gratitude and respect for what he has given the world.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 02:50AM

[This American Life]

This is about Sam?

Date: November 01, 2018 07:59AM

**Update: This American Life**

Their episode revolving around Mormon bishop interviews will be broadcast for the first time Friday, Nov 2, at 7pm CT. You can listen live on the WBEZ link below. Starting Saturday it will be available for listening on NPR stations all across the country.

This will be huge. TAL is has the largest audience of any podcast in the country.

PODCAST PARTY.

If you are in Houston or nearby, I invite you to a Podcast Party this Friday night. We'll listen live to the TAL release and then discuss.

Where: Hilton Garden Inn

Address: 6855 W Sam Houston Pkwy S, Houston, TX 77072

When: Friday, Nov 2, 7:00pm CT

Our little podcast party will also be broadcast via FB live on Protect LDS Children FB page.

How the Church treats it's children will be portrayed accurately to an audience of 5 million people. The Mormon Church is not going to look good. Nor should they. What they have done to generations of children is horrific. It's time that the children no longer bear the burden of shame. The shame should rest squarely on the shoulders of the church and its leaders who refuse to do the right thing.

Date: November 08, 2018 02:16PM

*This American Life (TAL) Update**

TAL's podcast is back on for this Friday, Nov 9 at 7pm CT. This episode includes a segment revolving around Mormon bishop interviews.

The producer has been in contact with me multiple times this week. Another postponement appears unlikely

You can listen live on the WBEZ link below. Starting Saturday it will be available for listening on NPR stations all across the country.

How the Church treats it's children will be portrayed accurately to an audience of 5 million people. The Mormon Church is not going to look good. Nor should they. What they have done to generations of children is horrific. It's time that the children no longer bear the burden of shame. The shame should transferred to the shoulders of the church and its leaders where it belongs.

PODCAST PARTY.

If you are in Houston or nearby, I invite you to a Podcast Party on Friday night. We'll listen live to the TAL release and then discuss.

Where: Hilton Garden Inn

Address: 6855 W Sam Houston Pkwy S, Houston, TX 77072

When: Friday, Nov 9, 7:00pm CT

Our little podcast party will also be broadcast via FB live on Protect LDS Children FB page.

How the Church treats it's children will be portrayed accurately to an audience of 5 million people. The Mormon Church is not going to look good. Nor should they. What they have done to generations of children is horrific. It's time that the children no longer bear the burden of shame. The shame should transferred to the shoulders of the church and its leaders where it belongs.

PLEASE SHARE

https://www.wbez.org/

Date: November 10, 2018 05:19PM

That was Great! WOW [Thanks Texas Sunbeamer]. Heard JUST NOW, on the radio, This American Life, from (Double You Be Easy, Shi-Ka-Go).

"But That's What Happened" https://www.thisamericanlife.org/661/but-thats-what-happened (It says episode will be available Sunday at 7pm Ct)

'When producer Elna Baker was a kid, adults told her to go into small rooms with adult men and talk about sex things. Regularly. It was so routine for her that she barely thought to talk about it. Until recently... when she started calling other women who did the same thing.' (35 minutes)

“Old Man On My Shoulder” (creepy sounding, as is the whole child sex questioning-PERIOD!, and essentially, all of morbidism)

The needlessly “assigned” positions of power that allow men/ ‘Bishops’ ("callings") coming into [forced, on the child!] contact with a child, in supposed privacy - and safety! - and relative (all bishops have relatives… and the entire congregation, if/ when the bishop tells his wife/ the 'release society') [sacred] “secrecy” [except for the churches (child-teen’s own) records, for self, future bishops, (escape plans/ exit strategies/ calls for help) “callings”, ‘promotions’, vouching, embarrassment, intimidation, “advancement”, treatment, denial, probation, humiliation, avoidance, mistreatment, punishment, stink eye, fart face, wiggle ears, whatever (the ‘man’ [child]/ member wants to do)] and asking ANYTHING SEXUAL is immoral!, sickening, avoidable, completely dangerous, and surely evil, even the same type mormonism WARNS you about.

These generally sexually focused and invasive, perverted, socially isolating and intimidating invasions of personal privacy, free-agency, choice morality, and sworn secrecy between you and your spiritual maker - even your baker, if you are a cupcake, for instance, or refer to yourself as food (which you are, since that’s what you eat. I’m a foodie too! Yay.) - yea even heavenly farter (oops, squeeze me) and too often cause great harm to MANY millions of victims-people.

Worth a listen, sharing. G
More people learn more DAILY
About mormonism's dark underbelly

Thanks for sharing Subeam-
Thanks SAM YOUNG - everyday!
Thanks Thinkers. And Actors.
Thanks good-great people here.
Mormon or Not! Great listen!

M@t

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 04:44AM

Well he stood for principles. And has done a heck of a lot more in the open than most of us griping here on this board, lol!

Date: November 08, 2018 03:10PM

Thanks for the update subeam.

As to SKB´s comment: He did it for HIS FAMILY, THE [poor LDS youth who have NO voice or choice in the matter, since their parents aren´t standing up for them - their ¨leaders¨ SURE aren´t - and their parent units probably didn´t teach them to stand up for themselves, and others] Children, and for the ´church´, not for becoming famous or important. What´s important is doing the right thing (not assuming other´s motives).

Mormondumb doesn´t like truth, or individuality, or free-agency.
It doesn´t like working together and listening to the people-members.
It doesn´t like doing the right thing: NOT violating the youth!

M@t

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: November 08, 2018 06:23PM

I guess it has a lot to do with old men who don't remember what it's like to be young. The young fall into two camps the way I see it those that are rebelious free thinking and have a tendency
to be wild and extroverted, they are way to serious with their boyfriends too early, fun loving, get in fights with the parents and teachers. And then there are the introspective introverted teens who look to the old as if they have the answers and wisdom, many are careful and prone to inflicted guilt complexes. The former need to be hounded and watched by parents teachers, the popo, but the later need to be encouraged rather.

Date: November 08, 2018 09:58PM

No he is not out for fame. He heard and read many sad stories about bishops interviews, some in where the youth ended his/her life due to shaming. Thousands of dollars has Sam spend to spread awareness to this subject. Lost many friendships and even got death threats. In my eyes he is a hero.

Date: November 10, 2018 09:13PM

This American Life episode debuted yesterday. It feature stories about bishop's interviews. They did a wonderful job.

Eric Hawkins, the lead man in public affairs for the Mormon Church, allowed himself to be interviewed. This is notable as the first time that a high Church representative has stepped out of the shadows.

I realize he's a just man trying to do his job, defending an indefensible policy. Never-the-less, if he was trying to represent Jesus Christ, his responses were highly disappointing. Elna wouldn't let him off the hook. She was outstanding.

A group of 17 of us watched and discussed in Houston.

This is big.

Date: November 11, 2018 02:15PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eric Hawkins, the lead man in public affairs for the Mormon Church, allowed himself to beinterviewed. This is notable as the first time that a high Church representative has stepped out of the shadows.
>

That's what I noticed too. I'm like, is this guy speaking for JCC [Jesus' Christ's Church]/ tscc? Wow! A MORMON, speaking for the mormons/ TMC [The Mormon Church] (this doesn't happen./ does this happen?). Great, she caught him and grilled him, though the 'church' came out as grey. It's murky waters, and he didn't Wade too deep (It's a rather shallow 'church' anyway). It sounded like she had him up against a wall ('church'-built, but still, a wall). I had a ball [just listening], because it was so on point. MILLIONS listened, and will.

> A group of 17 of us watched and discussed in Houston.

Right ON!

I just had the radio on a station, and listened more attentively when she said Mormon. Bishop. Children! "INTERVIEWS". etc.

Great SHOW-

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.