Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BOO ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 12:37AM

That was another idiotic idea. What's wrong with 'Trick or Treat' ? I never understood the issue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 12:53AM

advertising a "Trunk or Treat" event using the slogan "Put some spunk in your trunk."

I'm not very knowledgeable about a lot of slang expressions. But some people said that the "spunk in your trunk" expression was problematical due to possible double meanings based on slang.

I didn't delve too deeply. But I can take an educated guess at what they were implying.

That said, Mormons seem to like double meanings and problematic metaphors like "licking your cupcake" and "taking out your endowments"...so maybe the "spunk in your trunk" thing was intentional.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 02:42AM

No.

Now it's think or stink - the knew treat or trick!

M@t

P.S. you never know what's in those kid's trunks these days. Be careful!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 09:03AM

The ward that I grew up in had no parking lot. It was built in the 1930's in West Seattle and I THINK there was originally a small parking lot, but the building was expanded long before I came along and the new addition ate up the parking lot, so the members had no choice but to use neighborhood street parking.

After I was gone from the ward, I remember hearing about the wards "trunk or treat" and thinking "but there's no parking lot, but building won't be open, so that means that the kids will be walking up and down the street. That's Trick or Treating, but instead of going up to a front door, they'll be playing between parked cars on an active street. Great idea, Seattle Second Ward.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 10:58AM

My nice TBM neighbor invited my daughter to a Trunk or Treat at her ward about three years ago. It was fine--the kids had a good time--but I only brought my daughter because it was NOT held on Halloween--I think it may have been on the weekend before Halloween. It also appeared to me that the Trunk or Treat was very much an activity for their ward, not an outreach thing.

Another friend who belongs to a Presbyterian church invites us every year to that church's Trunk or Treat, but we've never gone because it is held on Halloween night, when I want my kids to actually go trick-or-treating and get to say hello to neighbors.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 03:06PM

It's very sickening how this "let's tail-gate in the parking lot" replaced rooms of horror decorated by the mutual and primary games with food and music in the cultural hall. It used to be OK for members to actually use the church so long as the chapel was revered as a sacred place.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 01, 2018 03:22PM

My church did trunk or treat last night. First time ever going to such a thing. I actually like the idea because there are not a lot of safe places for the kids to go trick or treating where I live. I know that a lot of places here in my county did trunk or treat either last night or over the weekend and not all of them were places of worship. I know a couple of the area fire departments hosted trunk or treat.

I like the idea especially for smaller communities like the one I live in that do not have a lot of safe options for the kids to go trick or treating at. It is definitely a viable option and a lot safer than a lot of kiddo's roaming around on a road with no sidewalks.

Posted by: NewLibrarian ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 01:13PM

My mom's church did their trunk or treat this past week. We were trick or treating on Halloween and there were a bunch of local churches that had theirs on Halloween, they just decorated their trunks with a bible theme.
One of them was Noah's ark and you got to go in a pick out a new stuffed animal.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: November 02, 2018 03:48PM

someone pointed out that there's a group trying (to get trump) to have Halloween observed on either Friday or Saturday night instead of a school nite.

Good.Luck.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.