Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 03:38AM

Since I left lds Corp I have continued to pay my tithing and I have gone from strength to strength.

OK I tweaked it just a smidge and now I pay the full amount to myself. AND miracle of miracles the promise was correct and I now have 10% more money.

If only God had told me this years ago when I was financially stressed!

As a previous Bishop who once believed 100% I never once saw a poor family so-called blessed by paying into the beast.

Has anybody Ever seen a tithe payer blessed because all I have ever seen is the exact opposite.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 04:28AM

I've seen families who could actually be enjoying life spend most of their time living like paupers because they pay 10% on their gross income to the Church of Giveitall of Latter-day Spents.

That 10% would have made a huge difference. Junior needs a pair of new shoes to play on the team? Sorry. Have to go to Deseret Industries and see if we can find something ridiculous to substitute. Nancy wants to play piano? Either have to go into debt to buy a piano or do without. Family wants to take a road trip? Sorry, not enough money this year to cover motels or camping fees or gas.

I've known several families who were in a position where all of the above types of things would have been possible if they had kept the 10% for themselves. But they were certain they would be blessed for being insane and giving virtually all of their disposable income to a bunch of suits in Salt Lake City.

Any day now...wait for it...should be coming soon...just have to be patient...those tithing-related blessings have a mind of their own, but they're on the way...just wait...any day now...should be along in the next year or so...or decade...give or take half a century...or a century...and who needs material things anyway!

Posted by: AlanXL ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 07:59AM

Although as a Bishop I made bloody sure no one had to go on their hands or knees for fast offering.

I gave it out as freely as they did or did not pay tithing.

I constantly got reprimanded for handing out too much. It was my badge of honor.

Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 08:21PM

..."Bless You My Son!"

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 04:35AM

You scared me there for a moment. Whew!

An otherwise rational enough bishop told me to pay tithing first. I have to first pay household expenses I replied. No. Tithing first he said. Like Mormon God is going to pay my car insurance. Or pick me up some groceries. I don't think. It shocked me that he would promote such irresponsibility.

Glad to hear about your raise!

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 12:06PM

The reason Mormon's think that tithing is a blessing is because every time something good happens to them they figure it is because they pay tithing. If you get a job promotion then it is because we pay tithing. If you get a raise, avoid the flu, or get out of debt, it is because of tithing.

When you don't pay tithing these things still happen, plus, you get 10% more income. They really don't believe good things will happen if they don't pay.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 01:56PM

I remember a sacrament meeting talk when the speaker had been assigned to speak on the blessings of tithing. So he gets up and says he and his wife had struggled with finances but a few months before had committed to pay a full tithing. Right after that a storm damaged the roof of their house and the repair was expensive. Then they had to travel out of state to a funeral. On the way home their vehicle had major mechanical problems and they had to pay on a credit card to get home. Soon after one of the kids needed dental work that required paying time payments.
After going on like that for a while he closes the talk by saying he knows tithing is a blessing and his family is only being tested.
That talk was a real windows of heaven inspiration.

Posted by: Alan XL ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 06:10PM

That was so funny because I have heard the same type of story so many times before.

Like the Nauvoo temple. Normally being destroyed by storms etc. is a sign that God is angry but when lightning destroys it this time its a blessing.

Go figure.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 04, 2018 08:18PM

Pay me 10%+ of your income and I'll promise you something/ anything. Blessings, if you keep giving me more and more.

It's a COMMANDMENT, not from the Lord, but from tscc.

I'll give the Lord 90%, but I won't give 'the church' a dime.

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.